Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
21st March.

“I shouldn’t say this in front of the cameras, but it’s very, very difficult to see where we’re going to lose a game,” Malthouse said to much applause.

Carlton look like a very limited football side. Average forwards. Average defence. No midfield depth at all. And Cameron Wood.

Agreed, but Wood was okay tonight, I thought.

Is Murphy the worst captain in the AFL? Doesn't lead from the front when they are down.

That turnover on the breaakway in the 4th is the most un-captainlike moment imaginable. Was a damn good, well rounded player a few years ago. Injury obviously hasn't helped but perhaps just not a leader and responsibility has taken it's toll. Not sure who else takes the role on that team though.

Blues in huge trouble moving forward, should really be challenging for Top 6 with their age bracket at the top end o_O

Judd 31
Simpson 31
Carazzo 31
Walker 29
Jamison 29
Thomas 28
Murphy 28

Only a few of any real quality below that lot, all with major limitations :cool:

Gibbs 26
Kruezer 26
Tuohy 25
Henderson 25
Yarran 24
Docherty 21
Menzel 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues in huge trouble moving forward, should really be challenging for Top 6 with their age bracket at the top end o_O

Thing is, they were a few years ago when they made the 8 and looked to improve but they just stopped moving forward and started going backwards.

Thought it was a good game..... but then again all football is bloody marvellous to watch. Love it.

Thoughts

Richmond and the start of games. Carlton should have buried em. 1 goal 7 behinds at one stage? Could have been over there and then and Richmond demoralised from the get go, but Carlton couldn't get it done and they let them back in.

2nd Term Carlton got the ball rolling but again, allowed Richmond to rally and that was it.

From there Richmond just dominated. They just looked like a team that was finally hungry and committed to win from the very get go. It will be interesting to see if they can follow that up next week and then consistantly. If they can, they should be the Top 4 side their supporters continue preaching to be. I for one would welcome that.... especially if it means we say goodbye to Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle from the Top 4

Deledio, cotchin and martin combined for a grand total of 48 possessions and they still won easily. Still think that says more about the blues at this stage but if you're hardwick you wouldn't be unhappy with that stat

Not a lot to be optimistic about there if you're a Carlton fan. Mick's style of play just doesn't seem to work any more, and they have too many limited players to do much damage(especially when their best midfielders don't bother to turn up). I don't think any of their new recruits will help them there either. Liam Jones will kick a lot of goals for them... in the VFL. Jaksch is an underdeveloped tall type who hasn't played a lot of football.
I've never been a fan of Docherty as a player, but that was the best game I've seen from him by some margin.
Deledio, cotchin and martin combined for a grand total of 48 possessions and they still won easily. Still think that says more about the blues at this stage but if you're hardwick you wouldn't be unhappy with that stat
Carlton normally limit the opposition's best midfielders- playing 3 or 4 taggers will do that.

Blues were also a forward running offensive team. Over the past 5 years they have lost all their fire power leaving a very pedestrian team. Mick can change them around, but he needs to be up for that 5 year rebuild, as well as have the club behind him. They wont get a flag under the simpson, judd, murphy era. Do they have the guts to make the tough decision though.

I'm not intending to offend any religious folk here, but isn't it about time we had footy on "good Friday"?
I don't want to get rid of easter (I think of it more as a 'Festival Of The Egg', than a religious holiday (mmm hollandaise)), but the whole easter experience is just a traditional period of time off.
What percentage of the nation observes the true, full meaning of this weekend? I don't mean people who just won't eat red meat today, "because that's how we were raised", I mean true believers who will pray and go to church, embracing the significance of the occasion.
That in mind, isn't it time we followed the lead of the NRL and welcomed the extra days off to capitalise on the 4 day weekend? Even from a commercial point of view, isn't it better to have games across the whole weekend? The sports mad will watch rugby league this afternoon because there's no footy on. What a lost opportunity and a free kick to the opposition, all in the name of some misguided, imagined moral high ground.

It just seems really, really odd, as I know no-one, no-one, that is so religious that they'll observe easter's true meaning, yet we, as a nation, cannot go to the shops, buy a beer, or watch football, for the sake of a few who wouldn't be doing that anyway.:confused:

I'm not intending to offend any religious folk here, but isn't it about time we had footy on "good Friday"?

It has always been time. It's such a useless act of pandering by the AFL.

The Thursday game sparks the footy appetite and then bang... nothing the next day. It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back