Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad razor called one of those over the head handballs a throw as they all should be
I'm convinced that the 'creative'/illegal ball movement and manic pressure made popular by the bulldogs and richmond has been far worse for the game than ross lyon/sydney defensive footy ever was.

Did anyone see Cotchin's hit / hip n shoulder on Hannebery early in the night. Not sure he'll get done for it, but he sure does ride a fine line, I have no doubt it's not accidental he does it a lot in the games I've seen of them.

Gary Rohan must be Jared Brennan level frustration for Swans fans.
He's been injured, and badly, so often that I think they cut him a heap of slack.

Throw, play on. Drop, play on. Drop, play on... We don’t need ******* committees, we need correct/incorrect disposal properly adjudicated.
This multiplied by plenty. The umpires ability all over the league to adjudicate this is so sub standard it's laughable. The one that gets me is when the player has prior opportunity gets tackled and the player purposely spills the ball and the umpire calls play on. Bloody infuriating.

He's been injured, and badly, so often that I think they cut him a heap of slack.

11th game this year and has had more than ten disposals in just 3 of those games with a best of 11 disposals.

Averages less than 10 disposals a game over 106 games.

And people think Lester was lucky to get to 100 games.

On the game, over the season the Tigers just look a class above in the big moments. They finish 1 or 2 and not have to leave their home ground for the finals I think they would be at unbackable odds to go back to back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns arent that bad on midfirld talent. IF they ended up with 2 high picks from Lynch going, i reckon getting both Kings wouldnt be the worst option for them.
There’s an interesting risk/reward there. On one hand, by bringing family members to the club at the same time, you hopefully allow them to be more comfortable moving interstate. You’re effectively going “all in” with the one family though. If it doesn’t work out with the family, you may lose two top picks instead of one.

I think the Suns young midfield brigade is OK but I still think they’d like to add to it.

I'm convinced that the 'creative'/illegal ball movement and manic pressure made popular by the bulldogs and richmond has been far worse for the game than ross lyon/sydney defensive footy ever was.
It bugs me , I watched something else last night( Spartacus) when I saw a Richmond player do this and they goal.
It was a f..g rugby pass by the f..g rule book ffs..
It's in the rule book, how and why do they overlook it.
Agree, game is too manic and these rule overlooks only encourage this manic sloppy style.
No wonder Coaches Like Hardwick want Umps to just let the players play and not scrutinize the players for frees.
It effects the flow of the game and the end result.

There is no way in heaven someone that is not already an AFL supporter would watch these games and go , wow where did this game come from.
A lot of skilled players , the Rich type players with big kicks, are almost been taken out of the game , players have no time to put the footy on the boot, so its all about getting multiple players to the ball, Boring footy. How about getting back to the game where players like J B , Buddy, Hawkins, Rich, all were major drawcards to the spectacle.
The love affair has past for me , basically only watch the Lions game , Better stuff on Netflix .

It's almost an era not too dissimilar to the 90's when the Rugby league had the super league come in .
Can't see that happening here , but they need a massive shake up .

It bugs me , I watched something else last night( Spartacus) when I saw a Richmond player do this and they goal.
It was a f..g rugby pass by the f..g rule book ffs..
It's in the rule book, how and why do they overlook it.
Agree, game is too manic and these rule overlooks only encourage this manic sloppy style.
No wonder Coaches Like Hardwick want Umps to just let the players play and not scrutinize the players for frees.
It effects the flow of the game and the end result.

There is no way in heaven someone that is not already an AFL supporter would watch these games and go , wow where did this game come from.
A lot of skilled players , the Rich type players with big kicks, are almost been taken out of the game , players have no time to put the footy on the boot, so its all about getting multiple players to the ball, Boring footy. How about getting back to the game where players like J B , Buddy, Hawkins, Rich, all were major drawcards to the spectacle.
The love affair has past for me , basically only watch the Lions game , Better stuff on Netflix .

It's almost an era not too dissimilar to the 90's when the Rugby league had the super league come in .
Can't see that happening here , but they need a massive shake up .
It was Super League that f****d up league for me!
That was when I started watching AFL and haven’t gone back since.
(Other than Origin)

There’s an interesting risk/reward there. On one hand, by bringing family members to the club at the same time, you hopefully allow them to be more comfortable moving interstate. You’re effectively going “all in” with the one family though. If it doesn’t work out with the family, you may lose two top picks instead of one.

I think the Suns young midfield brigade is OK but I still think they’d like to add to it.

Yep....However if the rumours are true that Collingwood are right into May and talk that Lynch is pretty well gone....The Suns should seriously be looking at both Kings and maybe even how to relocate the whole family!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...y/news-story/1bf27ee51024a8ade44803d8a9fe937a

(Other than Origin)
It was only brought about because some of the league clubs weren't too happy with the League's headquarters attitude towards them .
If they hadn't done this it would still be the nsw league, sounds familiar with how the Afl is run and it's Vfl attitude.
I do watch the odd game of league but they have become too predictable with the game to the point it made me watch Afl around the late 2000s.

I think we actually play a very entertaining style of footy compared to the Bulldogs and Richmond .
But with this manic style we have no room or time to execute the play.
No wonder players like Hipwood struggle in this environment to make an impact.
I'm over my own winging about this to be honest, when are they going to admit they need drastic changes.
Not going to happen is it.
They have the interchange at 90 , with a 4 quarter game thats 3 breaks anyway.
Make it 20 that will make coaches keep players in their positions and stop this defensive and forward pushes and that will in valuate players like Rich with big penetrating kick,.
You might still get these presses but it would only be for periods or towards the end of the game, not the whole game as it is now.
Just my thoughts , sorry bit of a whine, and wrong place.

Yep....However if the rumours are true that Collingwood are right into May and talk that Lynch is pretty well gone....The Suns should seriously be looking at both Kings and maybe even how to relocate the whole family!

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...y/news-story/1bf27ee51024a8ade44803d8a9fe937a
To be absolutely honest, I wouldn’t be surprised to see GWS in a similar position in 5 to 10yrs.
If GCS lose both of their Captains it is hard to see them surviving for much longer.

(Other than Origin)
Bit off topic, but it's interesting when I think about it a bit deeper.

One of the reasons I stopped following rugby league around 10-12 years ago was because all the players had become fit enough due to full blown professionalism that structured defense lines for the full 80 mins and wrestling in the tackles became very important to winning. Which resulted in less open and free flowing games (this is my opinion of course). So the games just became less entertaining and essentially turned into a hard slog. The hardcore fans still loved it, but for me, it just wasn't as entertaining.

On the other hand, AFL was free flowing, high scoring, with action happening between players even off the ball, there was regular one on one contesting marking, lots of skill required, it was unique and had it's own style of play, etc.

But now, with the change that has happened over the last 8 odd years, i think the same thing that happened to rugby league has has happened to AFL. It's become a defensive arm wrestle with defensive structure vital to being successful and the game has lost its uniqueness IMO. As a result games are lacking the multi-layered entertainment factor they used to have.

Random post I know:p

To be absolutely honest, I wouldn’t be surprised to see GWS in a similar position in 5 to 10yrs.
If GCS lose both of their Captains it is hard to see them surviving for much longer.

Yep....End of '94 Fitzroy lost both Captain and Vice..

Bit off topic, but it's interesting when I think about it a bit deeper.

One of the reasons I stopped following rugby league around 10-12 years ago was because all the players had become fit enough due to full blown professionalism that structured defense lines for the full 80 mins and wrestling in the tackles became very important to winning. Which resulted in less open and free flowing games (this is my opinion of course). So the games just became less entertaining and essentially turned into a hard slog. The hardcore fans still loved it, but for me, it just wasn't as entertaining.

On the other hand, AFL was free flowing, high scoring, with action happening between players even off the ball, there was regular one on one contesting marking, lots of skill required, it was unique and had it's own style of play, etc.

But now, with the change that has happened over the last 8 odd years, i think the same thing that happened to rugby league has has happened to AFL. It's become a defensive arm wrestle with defensive structure vital to being successful and the game has lost its uniqueness IMO. As a result games are lacking the multi-layered entertainment factor they used to have.

Random post I know:p
I still Love AFL and I love a good scrap.
But when it is every single game that is when it gets a bit monotonous.
That is why the whole AFL community was raving so hard about our game against Collingwood.
It was a high scoring, entertaining game that everyone loves.

Confirmation that the purple one does not look too far below the surface with his footy analysis particularly those teams north of the border. He just looks at the ladder and then forms his opinion, similar to whoever lodges the reserves reports.

If- you keep telling us you're going OK ...

Then- we're happy to hear you, and respect that. But we still don't see it. All we can see is a one-win season after 13 games and a few players who don't hurt enough in losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back