In from GWS: <- Claremont's Tom Lee + picks 24 & 43

Essendon out to Port Adelaide: -> Angus Monfries
In from Port Adelaide: Pick 48

Saints got a Great Potentially Forward There with Lee to go along with Riewoldt

From 2012 finish possition:
Sydney - likely to get stronger with Tippett
Hawthorn - stronger with the addition of Lake
West Coast - likely to get stronger with Wellingham
Collingwood - currently likely to go backwards with the loss of Dawes and Wellingham, while Lynch comes in.

Hopefully Buckley, Hine and Rendell have got something up their sleaves as on day 1 (of 3 weeks) it doesn't look too rosey.

How could you say that before we know what we are getting for Dawes and Wellingham? you worded that as if we got Lynch for them, but the big Q is a freeby on top that costs us nothing :rolleyes:

How could you say that before we know what we are getting for Dawes and Wellingham? you worded that as if we got Lynch for them, but the big Q is a freeby on top that costs us nothing :rolleyes:

I was just doing an overall summary.
Would you rather I andded Martin and a couple of picks? Picks who probably wont play for 2-3 years?

I did also note that it was only Day 1 of 3 weeks.

I hate to say it... the Hawks did well there. They identified their biggest weakness, and went and filled it. Sure Lake might only have a couple years left, but he fits into their Premiership window.

Let's hope Bucks does the same and fills our weaknesses.

Skilled pacy players?

missed out on pearce... who else is there outside the draft?

“@AFL_PKeane: Trade 2: GWS swap mini-draft pick 1 and unactivated '11 End Rd1 compo pick to Suns for R1 (2), r4 (63) and unactivated 2010 end rd1 compo.”

Can anyone explain why these clubs would swap unactivated end rnd 1 compo picks from different years? Aren't they the same thing?

Contrary to popular belief i reckon the Dogs would be laughing their heads off, they just screwed Hawthorn royally IMO.
Lake is or should i say was a gun defender 2 or 3 years ago but he had a pretty average year, is 30 with only 2 or 3 years left at most with his best behind him i reckon.

Dogs are planning for 3 to 5 years down the track so to get 21 and 43 for Lake is a massive win for them.

Hawks now have to play Lake as a KD with Gibson meaning either Shoenmakers or Stratton gets squeezed out of the team, so they piss one of those players off potentially losing them due to not playing and then lose Lake in a couple of years anyway.

Collingwood - currently likely to go backwards with the loss of Dawes and Wellingham, while Lynch comes in.

Hopefully Buckley, Hine and Rendell have got something up their sleaves as on day 1 (of 3 weeks) it doesn't look too rosey.
Losing Dawes in and of itself is a wash IMO. In fact I feel like it's a positive. Put Lynch in, and it's a definite positive result. The net outcome of losing Wellingham will depend on what we receive in compensation.

Certainly feels like rivals are strengthening themselves. We need to do so too.

On a side note, still feels like such a dirty draft - GWS now with more early picks traded for mini-draft picks (which were intended to be used to allow to get some mature players). And draft order all over the place - Bulldogs get pick 6 as Callan Ward compo (seriously!), Melbourne's picks for Scully compo also looking like way more than what he is worth.

No you said likely to go backwards and there is no way to know that yet o_O

I'm sure I saw the word currently in there, with a number of likelys.

There is no way of knowing the future but, based on the current trade situation I couldn't agree more with the coach spud, we are likely to go backwards in relationship to our key competitors. Its a relevant observation.

What about if Clinton Young leaves the hawks for nothing? I would say they have gotten weaker with less run out of the defence which is so important to their game, Lake is old and past it but could do a job on the big opposition forward.
We should try get Young in, i dont know how much $$ he wants (should be around 350k) but there should be room with Dawes on 400k? and Wellingham on 300K?
We give nothing away to bring in Lynch and Young, but receive high draft picks for Dawes and Wellingham

There is no way of knowing the future but, based on the current trade situation I couldn't agree more with the coach spud, we are likely to go backwards in relationship to our key competitors. Its a relevant observation.

Yeah based on the current trade situation.. would that be the situation where Dawes and Wellingham are both looking elsewhere and we have no ****ing idea what or who we'll get for them yet or even if they will actually leave at all if a deal can't be done?

Yeah based on that current situation we are completely fcked.. thank god losing the players is only half the process o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contrary to popular belief i reckon the Dogs would be laughing their heads off, they just screwed Hawthorn royally IMO.
Lake is or should i say was a gun defender 2 or 3 years ago but he had a pretty average year, is 30 with only 2 or 3 years left at most with his best behind him i reckon.

Dogs are planning for 3 to 5 years down the track so to get 21 and 43 for Lake is a massive win for them.

Great trade by the Dogs. Get rid of a player with dodgy fitness and attitude - even if he has high ability - who will be eligible for free trade next year.
Instead of a maximum 3 years but possibly only 1 year they get 2 draft picks to build their future team.

I do have to laugh at the Hawks fans getting excited about recruiting a 31 year old (will be in February) injury prone, problematic off field player.

Or have they forgotten how Lake basically cost Rodney Eade his job at the dogs, or how the year after Eade left Lake went into a meltdown and played most of the year in the VFL.

Not a good pick up at all, the Dogs have done well out of the deal to get anything at all for him, because no one else was offering anything.

I do have to laugh at the Hawks fans getting excited about recruiting a 31 year old (will be in February) injury prone, problematic off field player.

Or have they forgotten how Lake basically cost Rodney Eade his job at the dogs, or how the year after Eade left Lake went into a meltdown and played most of the year in the VFL.

Not a good pick up at all, the Dogs have done well out of the deal to get anything at all for him, because no one else was offering anything.

Well Lynch is 30 years old when he starts with us. Though you are Right 2 Seasons ago he was Useless and looked Finish. Though Lake can really help the Hawks

Lynch will be 30.

We cant talk about recruiting older players this offseason, especially when Lake had a really solid year on a abysmal team.

Lynch will be 30.

We cant talk about recruiting older players this offseason, especially when Lake had a really solid year on a abysmal team.

Lake and Lynch both fill needs for the team recruiting them and are short term solutions.
Difference is that Collingwood used Free Agency and Hawthorn spent 2 draft picks.

Lake is also the better player between the two.

I know it may be lol worthy to some, but Hawthorn have improved, and with many of their key guys approaching their mid to late 20s, their time is now.

Its a good deal, he is a good player and i dont see how they are not the favourites for it all next season.

Good move on their behalf. Certainly are better option than Gilham or a struggling Shoenmakers.

Lake was serviceable in some games but awful in a few and Lynch did not cost us our first 2 picks.
Massive difference.

Hawks moved down 6 Spots from 21 to 27 and Pick 41 really all it cost

Yeah, i actually think the Hawks win this trade by a landslide.

The kids they would have taken at 21 and 41 wouldn't be getting a game anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Non-Pie Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back