North interested in Neeld

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, but why only when under pressure or anxiety? Strange...
In article on the topic Neeld states that it goes off randomly. There are days when it doesn't go off at all.

If we do get him (which I really hope we do), we aren't appointing him senior coach, he'll be an assistant, which after all the praise he has received in this regard from Malthouse, Buckley, Pendlebury, and even our own coach, I'd imagine he is a pretty damn good one. If we do manage to get him, which I really doubt as Collingwood/Carlton will pay him MUCH more, then everyone on this board should consider it a BIG win for our club.

Basically, in a game where the players had to respond (and ultimately got hammered in), the general gist of his pre match was

"we've watched you train"

In a game where he was performing for the media (I am not sure its his thing) whilst trying to coach the titanic that is sinking and on fire whilst being ripped apart on the inside.

Fair to say he was a touch under the pump.

In an environment where he isn't the one dolling out the media performance, the spotlight isn't squarely on him and the players offer more resistance than custard he may just go ok at being the bloke who breaks down how an individual or a group within the team goes about it.

In a game where he was performing for the media (I am not sure its his thing) whilst trying to coach the titanic that is sinking and on fire whilst being ripped apart on the inside.

Fair to say he was a touch under the pump.

In an environment where he isn't the one dolling out the media performance, the spotlight isn't squarely on him and the players offer more resistance than custard he may just go ok at being the bloke who breaks down how an individual goes about it.

Don't get me wrong. Im not necessarily against him as an assistant.

He coached Melbourne, so had an impossible task. In addition, coaches are forced to say and do things they normally wouldn't (that seems denialist or crazy) in order to defend their players/club.

However, that was a pretty crappy pre match. Surely if you knew in advance you were on TV you would do the bulk of analysis/tactics behind closed doors and then bring the fire and brimstone for the on air part.

That's what I would do anyway.

However, that was a pretty crappy pre match. Surely if you knew in advance you were on TV you would do the bulk of analysis/tactics behind closed doors and then bring the fire and brimstone for the on air part.

That's what I would do anyway.

I am not inclined to forego all of the stuff that happened at Melbourne but I really think that he was on a road to no where. His time there has to be tempered with the fact that they were rabble.

Coaching a club that has no strategic direction off field, with factions that are self serving while the club is being run into debt must be an incredibly hard thing to do.

In saying all that he may be a good get I am not going to loose sleep if we don't get him.

You can't base an assessment of Neeld as an assistant coach on a televised prematch speech.

If the assistant coach selection criteria WAS on camera performance based, we may as well chase this bloke.

367388-harold-hopkins.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd probably get him quite cheaply because he got a nice little pay out from Melbourne. Having said that we get him at a good price, great or he finds a job somewhere else, equally good....

No thanks. Surely there are better options available. You can't ignore his last 2 years of employment. Watching him in action was painfully embarrassing. I just can't imagine him commanding respect from anyone at another AFL club (he didn't even have it at Melbourne). If we get him BS is doing a W. Bush Senior taking Dan Quayle as Vice president and effectively surrounding yourself with incompetent fools that you will never be replaced.
We should be targeting high achieving successful environment people I.e. Blakey, Simmo, anyone from Geelong.

No thanks. Surely there are better options available. You can't ignore his last 2 years of employment. Watching him in action was painfully embarrassing. I just can't imagine him commanding respect from anyone at another AFL club (he didn't even have it at Melbourne). If we get him BS is doing a W. Bush Senior taking Dan Quayle as Vice president and effectively surrounding yourself with incompetent fools that you will never be replaced.
We should be targeting high achieving successful environment people I.e. Blakey, Simmo, anyone from Geelong.

What evidence do you have that Blakey, Simpson or anyone from Geelong are better assistant coaches than Neeld?

What evidence do you have that Blakey, Simpson or anyone from Geelong are better assistant coaches than Neeld?
All are currently gainfully employed...but seriously they are all part of successful clubs, the Swans environment in particular has the respect of the whole football community. The guys in these environments must have qualities that they can bring with them to a new club. I don't have first hand evidence of what these guys do but I have seen the best shot Neeld could give and he was a deadest spud. He somehow succeeded in making Melbourne go backwards. I hope Collingwood snap him up.

I'm not fussed about the Melbourne thing, that club is a vortex for talent.

My only question mark is getting someone else from the Malthouse stable. My partner has a theory that all his assistants (Brad, Watters, Neeld, Buckley) have been seen as high quality because of the work they did there but have struggled to settle into senior roles - even if that's not true, it seems better to get someone who brings a different strand of experience than someone who has also done their best work at Collingwood in Malthouse's system.

I also have a niggly governance feeling that it would be better for the Chief of Football to go after someone to join the coaching panel who can help Brad, even if it's not a person Brad would necessarily choose himself - but that maybe the switch from Dmac is leaving a bit of a power vacuum as we move from 2013 into 2014 planning.

I think there's a better option out there now for the club, also a former mate.

631215-voss.jpg

Voss new midfield coach?

Voss working closely with Ziebell? Dear Lord....

Remove this Banner Ad

North interested in Neeld

Remove this Banner Ad

Back