AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year collingwood vflw had the week off before the grand final due to winning their prelim but lost the grand final to port who had to back up

One thing going against them tho was the grand final is always played at port Melbourne’s home venue so for us this year at least it will be neutral

Hopefully the week off doesn’t impact our momentum

Well we haven’t been making the most of it anyway could have got Georgia Clark and Brooke Barwick 2 top 10 picks last year cheaply if we got them to bid on us

At least we got Mia king on the cheap out of it

Should be time the Tasmania part of the name gets dropped then

Echo the sentiments of the two posts above.

Get the f***ing Tasmania name removed and get the f***ing map removed from the jumper.

If we play any home games in Tassie this season and keep the name its embarrassing for the club.
Same applies for the mens team. Theyre about to start building their stadium around the corner.
Have some shame and move out.

Echo the sentiments of the two posts above.

Get the f***ing Tasmania name removed and get the f***ing map removed from the jumper.

If we play any home games in Tassie this season and keep the name its embarrassing for the club.
Same applies for the mens team. Theyre about to start building their stadium around the corner.
Have some shame and move out.
You should also consider a name change.

Pre-Season games kick off on August 10.

Put 'em in the diary: Roos' pre-season practice matches confirmed

Put 'em in the diary: Roos' pre-season practice matches confirmed​

The Roos will tune up for their 2024 season with a practice match against GWS
By NMFC Media
3 hrs ago
ruby-tripodi.jpg

Ruby Tripodi finished in the top 10 in the Roos' pre-season time trial

The North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos will tune up for their 2024 NAB AFLW Season with a practice match against Greater Western Sydney.
The game will be played at the Giants' home ground in Blacktown on Saturday, August 17.
Fans will be able to watch a live stream of the match on nmfc.com.au. Entry will also be free for Kangaroos fans attending the game in Sydney.

The Roos will also take part in match simulation training against St Kilda one week earlier on Saturday, August 10.
The format, number of players, game length and number of breaks for the match sim will be agreed upon by the competing teams ahead of the hit-out.
The Roos' campaign for a first AFLW premiership begins with a mouthwatering Grand Final rematch against Brisbane in Ipswich, Queensland on Sunday, September 1.

AFLW match simulation training​

St Kilda v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos
Saturday, August 10, 12pm AEST
RSEA Park, Moorabbin

AFLW practice match​

GWS Giants v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos
Saturday, August 17, 11am AEST
Blacktown International Sports Park

Pre-Season games kick off on August 10.

Put 'em in the diary: Roos' pre-season practice matches confirmed

Put 'em in the diary: Roos' pre-season practice matches confirmed​

The Roos will tune up for their 2024 season with a practice match against GWS
By NMFC Media
3 hrs ago
ruby-tripodi.jpg

Ruby Tripodi finished in the top 10 in the Roos' pre-season time trial

The North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos will tune up for their 2024 NAB AFLW Season with a practice match against Greater Western Sydney.
The game will be played at the Giants' home ground in Blacktown on Saturday, August 17.
Fans will be able to watch a live stream of the match on nmfc.com.au. Entry will also be free for Kangaroos fans attending the game in Sydney.

The Roos will also take part in match simulation training against St Kilda one week earlier on Saturday, August 10.
The format, number of players, game length and number of breaks for the match sim will be agreed upon by the competing teams ahead of the hit-out.
The Roos' campaign for a first AFLW premiership begins with a mouthwatering Grand Final rematch against Brisbane in Ipswich, Queensland on Sunday, September 1.

AFLW match simulation training

St Kilda v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos
Saturday, August 10, 12pm AEST

RSEA Park, Moorabbin

l wonder if any of the feral Webster clan will be in attendance... :laughv1:

North will play the Dogs in the VFLW Grand Final after they defeated Williamstown 9.6.60 - 2.4.16.

North defeated the Dogs by 22 at Whitten Oval in Round 1, while the Dogs beat us at Arden Street by 7 in the final round.

Nice little article on the AFLW website on Mia King.

Roo's fashion focus, fire in belly after GF loss

Roo's fashion focus, fire in belly after GF loss​

As a proud Jawoyn woman, protecting the environment is very important to North Melbourne's Mia King. She tells AFL.com.au about prioritising sustainability in fashion, and avenging 2023's Grand Final heartbreak
By Sophie Welsh
1 hr ago
TR011223DB2888.jpg

Mia King is seen during a North Melbourne training session on December 1, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

FOR GUN North Melbourne midfielder Mia King, sustainability isn't just about recycling rubbish and turning off light switches.
Making an effort to shop for second-hand clothes is a small but powerful way the 23-year-old minimises her impact on the planet.
"I was really guilty of online shopping, like buying fast fashion and what was trendy. But you see how quick things go out of fashion," King told AFL.com.au this week.
"For me, buying second-hand clothing is not contributing to consumerism. And it’s hard! Because you see things on social media and you’re like ‘oh I want that!’ but for me it’s just trying to do less or try to find it second-hand so it’s already in the environment."

North Melbourne’s Mia King channels her passion for sustainability with a trip to the op-shop with content creator Sam Guggenheimer
King put her op-shopping skills to the test in an exclusive video for the AFLW social media channels, joining content creator Sam Guggenheimer for a day of thrifting.
While King and Guggenheimer spent the day at op-shops, King said there were so many other ways to shop sustainably.
"I love op-shopping when I have a day off, but I also love other second-hand clothing stores like Goodbyes and Savers, and even looking on Facebook Marketplace or Depop," she said.
"Sustainability has been really important to me ever since learning about anthropogenic climate change at school."
W05NMGWS23KD043576722.jpg

Mia King runs out onto the ground ahead of North Melbourne's round five, 2023 match against GWS. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

A proud Jawoyn woman, King has a strong connection to country, and respecting the land is a key driver in her passion for sustainability.
"Sustainability and being aware of contributions to climate change is so important, it ties in really well with Indigenous Australians and how they’ve kept the land so well for so long," King said.
"It's is something we should all focus on. I know it’s hard in everyday life but where you can, try to lessen your impact on the planet.
"I try to keep sustainability in mind in general, what [AFL/W player-led advocacy group] Footy For Climate is doing is really great."

After a lengthy off-season in her native Tasmania, King is back in Melbourne as her Kangaroos prepare to avenge last year's Grand Final loss.
The Roos face premiers Brisbane in their first match of the season, and for King, retribution is top of mind.
"I’m really looking forward to the Grand Final re-match, I think it’ll be a super exciting game," she said.
"The group was really disappointed with the result of last year's Grand Final.
"But I think in saying that, we were disappointed, but also like, you know, like really excited that we made our first Grand Final and we worked really hard to get there.
"So I think that in itself was an achievement, I think that when we reflected it felt like we built throughout the season and learned a lot of things along the way and kind of pulled it all together towards the end, which is what our goal was.
"There’s definitely a fire in the belly."
WGFNMBr23DB3434.jpg

Mia King is tackle by Bre Koenen during the 2023 NAB AFLW Grand Final on December 3, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

While noticing a step up in training approach and tactics, King said there was a belief at Arden St that the side already had a strong foundation in place.
"It’s not a brand new program, we made the Grand Final for a reason, so we’re looking at our game plan and working out what worked really well and then looking at things we can tweak.
"Having new players and new coaches brings new perspectives and ideas without too much change.
"A lot of the girls have had a ripper pre-season, hitting PBs [personal best times] in time trials and things like that. I think there’s a sense of us wanting to go to that next step."
During the lengthy off-season, King would drag members of her family and friends to the local oval in Launceston as some extra motivation while she completed her training program.
With the Roos scheduled to play two games in Tasmania, King is looking forward to the home crowd seeing her hard work pay off.
"I always love the Tassie games, and obviously Indigenous Rounds are really important to me too," she said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best to our girls on Sunday.

VFLW Grand Final: Make your Sunday a double-header

VFLW Grand Final: Make your Sunday a double-header​

Before you hit Marvel Stadium for Sunday afternoon's clash with Carlton, head to Port Melbourne to support the Kangaroos
By NMFC Media
2 hrs ago
ME150724MW00056.jpg

Before you hit Marvel Stadium for Sunday afternoon's clash with Carlton, head to Port Melbourne to support the Kangaroos in their first ever VFLW Grand Final!
North Melbourne will be playing the Western Bulldogs in the big game, having hit form in the finals series to storm to the decider.
The opening bounce at ETU Stadium in Port Melbourne will be at 12.10pm, and entry is free.
After the game you'll have plenty of time to head across town to Marvel Stadium for our battle with the Blues at 4.40pm.
Add the Kangaroos' AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW fixtures to your calendar. You'll also receive official club events!

NEVER MISS A THING​

Add the Kangaroos' AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW fixtures to your calendar. You'll also receive official club events!
SYNC NOW

VFLW Grand Final​

Sunday, July 21
North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at ETU Stadium, 12.10pm AEST

How they got here​

The Kangaroos finished the home and away season in fourth place on the ladder to secure a VFLW finals berth for the first time.
They thrashed Essendon at Arden Street Oval in the second elimination final before sweeping aside minor premiers Williamstown by 18 points in the second semi-final.
The Western Bulldogs finished the home and away season in second spot and had to take the extended route to the Grand Final after losing to Williamstown in the qualifying final during the opening week of the finals.

The Bulldogs responded by beating reigning premier Port Melbourne at Mission Whitten Oval in the first semi-final before turning the tables on Williamstown in the preliminary final with a 44-point triumph.

Last time they met​

North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have met twice during the 2024 rebel VFLW season, sharing one win apiece.

The Kangaroos claimed a 22-point win at Mission Whitten Oval in the opening round of the year, before the Bulldogs produced a seven-point victory at Arden Street Oval in the final round of the season.

Getting to ETU Stadium​

With parking around the stadium limited, the use of public transport is encouraged.
Public Transport | Travel Disruptions

At the stadium​

Food and drinks will be available to purchase.
North Melbourne AFLW captain Emma Kearney will present the premiership cup if the Kangaroos are victorious.

How to follow the game​

You can watch the match live on Channel 7, or stream via the AFL website, AFL Live Official App and VFL App.
Follow the @NMFCWomens accounts on X, Instagram and Facebook to keep up with our results and best performers, and don't forget to use #Kangas.

Roos ready to bounce over final hurdle in history-breaking season

Roos ready to bounce over final hurdle in history-breaking season​

North Melbourne has already made plenty of history during the 2024 rebel VFLW season, with one major hurdle remaining as it seeks its maiden flag
By Brendan Rhodes
1 hr ago
uYco9v6E.jpg

North Melbourne co-captains Sarah King and Jess Jones and coach Brett Gourley at the 2024 rebel VFLW Grand Final media opportunity at ETU Stadium. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

North Melbourne has already made plenty of history during the 2024 rebel VFLW season.
The Kangaroos qualified for their first rebel VFLW finals series, recorded their first finals win with a 63-point thrashing of Essendon and then charged straight into their maiden rebel VFLW Grand Final by taking down minor premier Williamstown in the second semi.

Now as the biggest day of the VFLW season approaches against the Western Bulldogs at ETU Stadium on Sunday, the overriding feelings at Arden Street Oval are excitement and anticipation at what could be to come.

Brett Gourley may only be in his first year at the helm of the Kangaroos’ VFLW team but he has been with the club for five years and has played a big part in building the women’s program to one that played in their maiden AFLW decider last November and now climbed from a ninth-place finish in 2023 to the VFLW big dance just a year later.

“It’s really exciting. I’s been a long season for us and we’re just super grateful to be here,” Gourley said at the rebel VFLW Grand Final launch on Monday.

“North invests really heavily in women’s footy and I’ve been fortunate enough to be with the AFLW program since 2019, so I’m really fortunate to be in the position I am.

“The club has been really outstanding in terms of their support and the way they continue to promote and progress women's footy.”

The evenness of the rebel VFLW competition is best displayed by how North Melbourne won seven games last year and finished ninth on the ladder but rose to fourth this season with just one more victory.

The Roos this year recovered from a difficult run in the first half of the season having slipped to 3-5 after a narrow loss to Williamstown in Round 8.

“About round seven or eight we had what we called our line in the sand meeting and we sat down and focused on the key areas that we needed to improve and we were really open and honest about the areas that we needed to get better in,” Gourley said.

“We just analysed and studied really hard what we needed to do to get better. We knew that if we continued to focus on those things then we could turn the tables and be in the position that we are.”

North Melbourne’s off-season recruiting put the Kangaroos in a good position to fight back, with experienced heads such as Essendon premiership players Alana Barba and Renee Tierney joining in the summer, along with star midfielder Maddie Di Cosmo from Carlton.

The Roos also brought in Nyakoat Dojiok, Matilda Zander, Elisabeth Jackson, Nicole Hales, Sarah Hosking, Tricia Cowan, Sarah King and Charlotte van der Vlies, who all played in Collingwood’s Grand Final loss to Port Melbourne last season.

While not all of those will play on Sunday, their roles in helping the Roos recover from 11th just nine weeks ago to enter the premiership decider on the back of two dominant finals displays cannot be underestimated.

“All of them have been outstanding,” Gourley said.

“Barbs (Barba) and Renee (Tierney) in particular who have come in from AFLW level and brought a lot of experience with them.

“Nykie (Dojiok) is obviously an outstanding player as well. She has a wealth of experience, Mads (Di Cosmo) came across from Carlton and has been a contested bull for us in the midfield, so we were really fortunate to acquire them.

Gourley said he expected it to be a free-flowing Grand Final, with the losing team scoring more than 40 points in the two meetings between the sides during the home and away season.

North Melbourne prevailed 10.5 (65) to 6.7 (43) when the sides met at Mission Whitten Oval in the opening round, with the Bulldogs returning the favour 7.8 (50) to 6.7 (43) at Arden Street Oval in the final round, the only defeat North has suffered in the past eight matches.

“Both teams are naturally attacking. Both times we have played them in season have been free-flowing,” Gourley said.

“That’s the style of footy everyone likes to see and we’ve tried to build a progressive style of footy, an attacking brand of footy, and I’m sure that’s what we will see on the weekend as well.

“They’ve got really classy players through the midfield and some great defenders and obviously very capable and experienced forwards as well.

“We will have a look at the game from the weekend (the Bulldogs’ preliminary final thrashing of Williamstown) closely and also the last time we played them and look to improve and turn the result in our favour this time.”

I really should know this but.. is our VFLW list distinct from the AFLW list or are some of our AFLW listed players eligible to play VFLW?
Bit of both. There are no limits anymore, so a club can just play its best AFLW team every week if desired.

But none of our AFLW players are eligible for a call-up this weekend because I think there was a 1-game H&A minimum in order to play finals, not that we'd shaft any of the VFLW players like that anyway (much more of a Collingwood move).

By the same token, Ellie Blackburn won't be playing for the Bulldogs even though the rules would allow it.

I don't think we played a AFLW listed player at all this season, we've built two separate women's teams. It would be nice to see a greater interaction between the two teams, but I don't see it happening while the AFLW season is played between September and December.

Bit of both. There are no limits anymore, so a club can just play its best AFLW team every week if desired.

But none of our AFLW players are eligible for a call-up this weekend because I think there was a 1-game H&A minimum in order to play finals, not that we'd shaft any of the VFLW players like that anyway (much more of a Collingwood move).

By the same token, Ellie Blackburn won't be playing for the Bulldogs even though the rules would allow it.
Thanks. Happy for the club, pity it doesn’t indicate a simmering young AFLW crop for us though.

I think there are concerns about players getting injured in the VFLW - it's not worth it given how close we are.
Just to be clearer - the VFL squad has the overflow senior players in it. Success of that side bodes well for the AFL side.

If the W equivalents are running separate lists then the VFLW success is nice but has no carryover to AFLW besides morale and the club maybe enhancing it's overall intel.

Kinda whack that they don't run VFLW and AFLW concurrently so they can mirror the men's pathway. Maybe there's a good reason.

AFLW Fantasy going to go off this year.
Lots of support coming in through the various websites and services that promote the AFL.
Should bring a lot more people to watch the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back