North Melbourne Vs Essendon - (End Of Game Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bOmBeR_BoY1

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 12, 2003
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Discuss.

How is it possible that we could be so insipid for 3 quarters yet only be 5 points behind with 5 minutes to go?

Dissapointing, yet an expected performance - we were great last week and build ourselves up for Carlton and we usually suffer a letdown the following week. North were good in patches, but don't think they will be chucking that game into their video archive.

We were pathetic. Suffering from the Big Game hangover. Also happens to us. We have a bit win and we can't back up the next week. We were still reflecting on the Carlton game on Friday (Look at the Lloyd press conference on Friday)

McPhee cost us. Dropped many crucial marks and ran out on the field when he wasn't supposed to. That changed the momentum. Lloyd probably would've kicked that goal, and we could've ran over the Kangas. Could be rubbed out again in that brawl early in the game.

Our skills were very very poor. Missed too many crucial goals and were too handball-happy.

Lloydy played another superb game. 17 touches and 3 goals. He is a brilliant captain. Hopefully he has another big one for Anzac day.

Why was no one tagging Boomer? We can't let such a good player run around on his own and get possessions at his own will. He killed us in the midfield.

No excuses, absolutely terrible effort.

Play like that against any team other than North and we'd be looking at a 10goal + loss.
It's the fact that alot of the turnovers were by our experienced players that kills me.

Lloyd the only one that can hold his head up, and even he missed a pretty easy one.

Our confidence drops very very quickly when we turn the ball over. The 2 main things that crucify us are decision making & foot skills. Our skill level have been ok in the 1st 3 games but today it was abysmal! Adam McPhee couldnt catch a cold!!! His numbskull decision on coming on the field cost Lloyd a goal, gave away a 50 in the 1st 1/4 which North capitilised, his dropped marks all day long, inconsistency is the story of his career! It is the same players that cough the pill up all the time. No point having quick players if we just turn it over all the time.

Our confidence drops very very quickly when we turn the ball over. The 2 main things that crucify us are decision making & foot skills. Our skill level have been ok in the 1st 3 games but today it was abysmal! Adam McPhee couldnt catch a cold!!! His numbskull decision on coming on the field cost Lloyd a goal, gave away a 50 in the 1st 1/4 which North capitilised, his dropped marks all day long, inconsistency is the story of his career! It is the same players that cough the pill up all the time. No point having quick players if we just turn it over all the time.

Spot on. Until we improve these parts of our game we will struggle to make the 8.

Yep, we were shocking.

I'd give us a pass mark for our discipline when not in possession of the ball, we held them up well and that's what kept us in it.

However, our skill going forward was absolutely abysmal, our forward structure was very ordinary and I don't think enough guys ran hard enough forward.

This is part and parcel of a young side side, we're going to have to put up with that at times this year.

Next week's really important now - season defining stuff.

If we keep on giving games to Quinn, we wont win many.
How the hell does he get a game where he cannot kick, very poor skills and i dont care that he is just learning or give him a chance........give him a chance in the twos where i dont give a shit.
****me Essendon what were you thinking when you got him?

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but I don't feel that today hurt our long term progress (which probably isn't a very controversial remark). It was a down day. A lot of blokes tried hard (I think it's becoming obvious how important Dempsey is to our next premiersip tilt, and the reinvention of Lovett makes me so, so happy -- those two are dynamos). There weren't many who I could complain about. We missed the hardness of Hocking and Lonergan -- that hardness combines really well with our pace. And our consistency with our skills is getting better all the time, but days like today show that it's not there yet.

Skills, decision making was poor. But this is the type of gritty, grinding game that I don't expect a young team to win. The fact that we were down by 5 and had plenty of chances late was a credit.

McPhee- is it that hard to hold a mark? Is it that hard to wait a few seconds before you go on? (Although I blame our staff for that too)

But i thought our tackling pressure was solid...one of the only positives

For **** sake! How many different ways did we loose the game today. I think we did just about everything in the book. Was there for the taking soooo many times.

It hurts so much to loose the little amount of winning form that we had, in a game like that.

OUCH

Look, I am amazed that no-one seems to be taking Essendon and Darcy Daniher to task. It is grossly unfair that he is continually being left on players that make him their bitch. His benching was swift and the kid can't play – yet. Bendigo team for the season – please. There is no better win than against the filth from Carlton, but let's be honest... we didn't win it, Fevola lost it. We were lucky.

And the NMFC vs EFC game thread saw someone question the imposter that is running around in our most glorious number 5 jumper. Honestly, Brent and read this too, Quinn... if you can't kick, there is no place for you in our senior side.

Our turnovers are an absolute disgrace. We should have smacked Kangas today. A tragic game of football.

G'day guys, bad luck today - just felt I had to ask

Given that Harvey's been successfully tagged out of the game three weeks running, why wasn't he tagged today?

Any light at all to be shed on it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that Harvey's been successfully tagged out of the game three weeks running, why wasn't he tagged today?

Knights is playing Russian Roulette and no one can question him because no one at the club gives a shit if we lose or not.

Schoolboy mistakes.

Wish i knew. One of those players that always seems to do well against us.

Slattery should have stuck with him for the match, instead of only taking him when he went forward.

Just got back from the game, was my first game to attend for the year and it was a really bad game to choose.

Everyone needs to chill out. It was a bad perfomance in all areas and was a game we could have won, however, these things happen in footy. It's all about confidence and whether players are playing with it, generally when they are their workrate increases. Don't go writing players off based on that, if we pump the pies next week you'll once again have a different outlook.

Thought our workrate led to our downfall. Not enough players presented options for someone to kick to or run and carry. This led to decisions being made under pressure and low percentage disposals creating turnovers.

I think we definitely need more runners with class in the side and need Jetta and Reimers both back in the side when feasible. NLM, despite his downfalls is still light years ahead of Quinn and needs to play. I can understand why Knighter played Quinn as his workrate and attack on the ball is good, but his not up to it yet. Nash should also go back to Bendigo. Scotty is worrying me but dropping him will do anything positive for anyone.

I agree with what someone said about Paddy playing back until Hurley comes back. Also think Fletch playing a bit more up the ground hurt us a bit too as he wasn't able to become 3rd man in on a few contests.

Hille needs to get his timing right in the Ruck and players need to push back harder both ways. Too many midfielders don't push hard when the ball is in transition. Sprint. don't jog through the middle of the ground.

Need to have someone as a stay at home Full Forward, whether it's Lloyd, Lucas, Neagle, whoever, cannot afford to have nobody to kick to. Need to be able to bomb to the goal square with confidence.

Overall, I thought elements of our defensive side were pretty good, some players played well or did well in contests they were involved in.... just came down to workrate in the end... it creates confidence and we didn't start doing it until the last quarter. They'll be more switched on next week...

Out: Skipworth, Nash, Quinn

In: Lonergan, Jetta, NLM

If we keep on giving games to Quinn, we wont win many.
How the hell does he get a game where he cannot kick, very poor skills and i dont care that he is just learning or give him a chance........give him a chance in the twos where i dont give a shit.
****me Essendon what were you thinking when you got him?

Oh my he ****ed up one kick :rolleyes:

Lets see maybe we got him becasue in a very short space of time he has shown he actually has more idea of how to play various aspects of the game than some of the blokes on our list who have played footy since they where 5.

I would ask what the **** you are thinking but it is obvious you do not have the capacity.

Just got back from the game, was my first game to attend for the year and it was a really bad game to choose.

Everyone needs to chill out. It was a bad perfomance in all areas and was a game we could have won, however, these things happen in footy. It's all about confidence and whether players are playing with it, generally when they are their workrate increases. Don't go writing players off based on that, if we pump the pies next week you'll once again have a different outlook.

Thought our workrate led to our downfall. Not enough players presented options for someone to kick to or run and carry. This led to decisions being made under pressure and low percentage disposals creating turnovers.

I think we definitely need more runners with class in the side and need Jetta and Reimers both back in the side when feasible. NLM, despite his downfalls is still light years ahead of Quinn and needs to play. I can understand why Knighter played Quinn as his workrate and attack on the ball is good, but his not up to it yet. Nash should also go back to Bendigo. Scotty is worrying me but dropping him will do anything positive for anyone.

I agree with what someone said about Paddy playing back until Hurley comes back. Also think Fletch playing a bit more up the ground hurt us a bit too as he wasn't able to become 3rd man in on a few contests.
Hille needs to get his timing right in the Ruck and players need to push back harder both ways. Too many midfielders don't push hard when the ball is in transition. Sprint. don't jog through the middle of the ground.

Need to have someone as a stay at home Full Forward, whether it's Lloyd, Lucas, Neagle, whoever, cannot afford to have nobody to kick to. Need to be able to bomb to the goal square with confidence.

Overall, I thought elements of our defensive side were pretty good, some players played well or did well in contests they were involved in.... just came down to workrate in the end... it creates confidence and we didn't start doing it until the last quarter. They'll be more switched on next week...

Out: Skipworth, Nash, Quinn

In: Lonergan, Jetta, NLM

What is it about people wanting to push Ryder back ?
Answer me this.
1) How do we play Bellchambers when his form has been scratchy. Not being able to beat O"Halpin in the ruck last week says it all.
2) Why is there such an up roar about our key defenders today given we turned the footy over by hand a hell of a lot and exposed the back to a heap of one on one contests ?

Lets see maybe we got him becasue in a very short space of time he has shown he actually has more idea of how to play various aspects of the game than some of the blokes on our list who have played footy since they where 5..

Exactly right. Guys like Nash, Monfries & Slattery just off the top of my head must take that next step forward for us throughout the year; That's to give us any chance of making the eight.

Guys, let's remember our best two taggers are out. All well and good to say we should tag Harvey. But who actually does tag him?

That was gonna be my next post Spikey. Smart cookie.

• McPhee's contested marking at the moment is absolutely appalling. Nothing short of disgraceful.
  • Dyson was back to his old ways, and needs to be dropped stat.
  • Jobe's kicking. Embarrassing today, and sets him back a looooong way
  • Delivery into the forward shocking; general skill level poor; turnovers embarrassing.
  • Selection pressure? Maybe not so much this week. Some players need to be dropped and made to earn their spot back the hard way
  • Unbelievably bad umpiring. I'm the last person to put any store in umpires costing us the game - our shithouse disposal did that; but the umpires were abysmal, and that Ray Chamberlain is a poison dwarf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back