North Melbourne Vs Essendon - (End Of Game Review)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were bad the first half, but improved second half,
Just a bunch of abysmal decisions by umpire.

Lets not blame the umpires ALP. There were a hell of a lot of things we could've done better; The umpires could have maybe been brought up if we lost within a goal.

Lucas needs to find some form at Bendigo, he is out of touch and a liability at this point in time.

McPhee needs to glue his hands before taking the field, or play at Bendigo.

Why was Quinn in ahead of Hocking? All good letting the lad have a run, but not at the cost of a player who has performed better.

Unfair on Darcy if we are going to play him on giants all season, not the best way to get some confidence in his football.

Just poor coaching today from Knights, left Harvey to run free all game.

Umpires were poor, but in the end our terrible skills lost us the match.

If we play like that next week expect Collingwood to blow us out of the water.

Next Week:
Out: Lucas, Quinn, Dyson, Nash
In: Lonergan, Hocking, Jetta (Houli or Myers depending on Bendigo form)

Thought our workrate led to our downfall. Not enough players presented options for someone to kick to or run and carry. This led to decisions being made under pressure and low percentage disposals creating turnovers.

Too many midfielders don't push hard when the ball is in transition. Sprint. don't jog through the middle of the ground.

with the amounts of turnovers today, its hard to turn around and get right back down

McPhee cost us. Dropped many crucial marks....

Is anybody really surprised by this?

McPhee's useless. I've been saying this for years. I still don't understand why he's a walk-up starter in the team.

As soon as I heard McPhee was back in the side, I marked us down for a loss.

I've been out all day.... didn't see the game.... just got home.... jumped on BigFooty...

And whatdayaknow?

People complaining (again!) about McPhee's errors and screw-ups.....

.....and an Essendon loss.

Am I being harsh?

Maybe. Of course one player is never solely responsible for a loss, and we were obviously completely crap today from all reports I've read....

But I tell ya.... McPhee is useless.

In a year like this, we need to get rid of the dead wood and keep on looking to the future. I mean, we did it to Peverill and JJ last year.... (right call on JJ.... wrong call on Peverill imo) .... yet we can't do the same to McPhee?

Honestly, is McPhee REALLY ever going to be a part of our future?

And Dyson for that matter?

Drop them and give the youngsters more playing time.

I don't mind losing games this year.... it's all a part of rebuilding. But I do mind losing them when we've got guys like McPhee and Dyson running around on the park and costing us through their errors.

There's simply no excuse for those guys anymore.

Back to Bendigo for a wake-up call.

Lets not blame the umpires ALP. There were a hell of a lot of things we could've done better; The umpires could have maybe been brought up if we lost within a goal.
I'm going to say its half half

I mean
Lucas kicked two out on the full, he might need a break there.
We were AMAZINGLY indecisive, i reckon we had a player that just stood there with the ball at least 20 times.
Fletcher was amazingly overworked. I saw at least two occasions where it was a two on one marking contest.
Too many Stupid handballs: We handballed to the worse of places, especially when players had already marked the ball.
Davey never got a good pass - All the times a player handpassed hte ball to him it always fell to the ground, causing him to slow down

now, the umpires:
- Hilles mark turned rushed behind - A goal
- A north melbourne player walking the ball through the goal - Another goal.
- Amazing amounts of frees that we should have gotten, amazing amounts of frees that they should've have gotten.

McPhee's useless.
I've been saying this for years. I still don't understand why he's a walk-up starter in the team.

I've been out all day.... didn't see the game.... just got home.... jumped on BigFooty...

And whatdayaknow?

Am I being harsh?

Maybe. Of course one player is never solely responsible for a loss, and we were obviously completely crap today from all reports I've read....

In a year like this, we need to get rid of the dead wood and keep on looking to the future. I mean, we did it to Peverill and JJ last year.... (right call on JJ.... wrong call on Peverill imo) .... yet we can't do the same to McPhee?

I don't mind losing games this year.... it's all a part of rebuilding. But I do mind losing them when we've got guys like McPhee and Dyson running around on the park and costing us through their errors.

Dont blame McPhee. lol
and he isnt useless, just because he had a bad game doesnt mean you can attack him and blame him for the loss.
Our defence was shit
Lloyd was our only reliable forward
Davey was outmarked constantly

McPhee's useless. I've been saying this for years. I still don't understand why he's a walk-up starter in the team.

And whatdayaknow?

Am I being harsh?

Your rant is all well and good but dont just give up the problem.
Give everyone the solution.
Tell us all who should play the extra tall forward who works hard from one side to the other offering an option.
McPhee has a lot of flaws but sadly there are no bigger size forwards lining up and doing well for Bendigo to take his place.

And whatdayaknow?

Am I being harsh?

McPhee's had one bad game out of 3. Coming back after missing a week.

Was probably our most influential forward after the first 2 weeks.

Yep, he dropped a few sitters, and it's something he really needs to work on.

Who else is going to play his role?

Dont blame McPhee. lol
and he isnt useless, just because he had a bad game doesnt mean you can attack him and blame him for the loss.
Our defence was shit

That's not Davey's fault. It's the players that kick to him.
He's not there to take contested marks.

Just a wuestion, who plays on H.Shaw next week, do we play a head to head duel and go with say a Davey or a Lovett, or do we go a negating role and go with a player like Monfries or possibly (using the term lightly) R.Dyson, and just sit Dyson on him all day, telling him not to bother with the pill and just keep Shaw away from the pill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a wuestion, who plays on H.Shaw next week, do we play a head to head duel and go with say a Davey or a Lovett, or do we go a negating role and go with a player like Monfries or possibly (using the term lightly) R.Dyson, and just sit Dyson on him all day, telling him not to bother with the pill and just keep Shaw away from the pill.

Gus. He killed him last year.

Dont blame McPhee. lol
Our defence was shit

Read my post. I even said that I didn't blame him alone for the loss.

I also stated that I don't mind losing in a year like this.

So stick your "lol" up your arse, read my post, and try again. :thumbsu:

ant555 - Lucas? I know he's in shit form at the moment, but at least he's a proven performer. (although yes, he's getting old... not gonna be there forever etc...) Ryder? I'd love to see him play forward more, especially when we get Hurley back. Neagle needs game time and experience.... so give it to him! In a year like this, and at this stage in our rebuilding, I'd much rather see Neagle in the side than McPhee for that reason alone. Lloyd can always play up the field a little bit too. (although yes, I prefer him in the goal square as well)

Christ, if we kick well, even Monfries can play that half-forward link player.

We've got the options there though, even with Gumby out.

Just because McPhee is available, doesn't mean we NEED to put him in the side. (we were just fine without him last week, were we not? :) )

You seem to think that we MUST have him in the side, because we won't have somebody playing that role otherwise, and I think that's bullshit. I think we do have the options, and as I said, we managed just fine without him last week.

The other thing that worries me about McPhee is that it seems as though we're kinda building our half-forward line around a player who is, in my opinion, simply not very good.

How is that beneficial to our future? He isn't, and never will be, a premiership-quality KP half-forward.

I know it probably seems that I'm on a bit of a McPhee witchhunt.... he's probably a lovely guy who trains hard and does all the right things... and I don't like criticizing players.... but unfortunately, it's a fact that some players just aren't up to AFL footy.... and I think McPhee is one of them. And no, it's not based on today's game which I didn't even see.... it's based on the last few years of watching him.

That all said, I would love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. :)

But I'm still waiting.

Oh my he ****ed up one kick :rolleyes:

Lets see maybe we got him becasue in a very short space of time he has shown he actually has more idea of how to play various aspects of the game than some of the blokes on our list who have played footy since they where 5.

I would ask what the **** you are thinking but it is obvious you do not have the capacity.
Your right Ant i probably dont have the capacity to think, but im pretty sure that Quinn is still too fresh to play this game at that level.
Yes he ****ed up 1 kick, but his decision making is poor.
The freo game was a good example of his decision making where he coughed up the ball and it cost us goals, Sollys goal from his handball was gold:rolleyes:
And god i hope Quinn proves me wrong, because i will be the first to apologize, like i have about Jobe Watson.

ant555 - Lucas? I know he's in shit form at the moment, but at least he's a proven performer. (although yes, he's getting old... not gonna be there forever etc...) Ryder? I'd love to see him play forward more, especially when we get Hurley back. Neagle needs game time and experience.... so give it to him! In a year like this, and at this stage in our rebuilding, I'd much rather see Neagle in the side than McPhee for that reason alone. Lloyd can always play up the field a little bit too. (although yes, I prefer him in the goal square as well)

Christ, if we kick well, even Monfries can play that half-forward link player.

We've got the options there though, even with Gumby out.

Just because McPhee is available, doesn't mean we NEED to put him in the side. (we were just fine without him last week, were we not? :) )

You seem to think that we MUST have him in the side, because we won't have somebody playing that role otherwise, and I think that's bullshit. I think we do have the options, and as I said, we managed just fine without him last week.

The other thing that worries me about McPhee is that it seems as though we're kinda building our half-forward line around a player who is, in my opinion, simply not very good.

How is that beneficial to our future? He isn't, and never will be, a premiership-quality KP half-forward.

I know it probably seems that I'm on a bit of a McPhee witchhunt.... he's probably a lovely guy who trains hard and does all the right things... and I don't like criticizing players.... but unfortunately, it's a fact that some players just aren't up to AFL footy.... and I think McPhee is one of them. And no, it's not based on today's game which I didn't even see.... it's based on the last few years of watching him.

That all said, I would love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. :)

But I'm still waiting.

I know exactly what you are saying but there are a few issues i have with what you said.
To start with Lucas is already in the side. He is already part of the forward set up.

Ryder. I would love to see him get a chance to play forward more. Problem is currently he is needed in the ruck with Laycock being injured and Bellchambers struggling a bit with Bendigo. If we had Laycock as second ruck i would have no problems with Ryder taking the third forward role.

Neagle. Yes he needs games but his form has been hopeless. You can not keep a guy in the side who has 1 or 2 possesions each week. Since he has returned to Bendigo he has had 3 or 4 possessions in a game. You just cant go down that road. e may as well play one bloke short. As much as i want to see Neagle up and going he has a long way to go before he demands a spot in the seniors.

Monfries. Well i have serious questions about his spot in the side anyway. He does not have the engine to perform the same running role that McPhee does at half forward.

I know what you are saying. I agree . I do not think McPhee is part of the premiership picture but you can not simply throw blokes into the side without form or ability to perform the role.
We have issues with McPhee or McFumbles as i refer to him. I know he is not a good thinker. He is ordinary under pressure and he fumbles a lot.
He should be on the exit list for the future but he plays intil someone pushes him out of the side by playing better.
Maybe when we can get Hurley back and get Ryder out of the ruck it will be a different storey. The we can use Ryder and maybe Daniher forward.
Where we are right now leading into round 5 McPhee has his spot despite him being doubtfull as the way forward.

Your right Ant i probably dont have the capacity to think, but im pretty sure that Quinn is still too fresh to play this game at that level.
Yes he ****ed up 1 kick, but his decision making is poor.
The freo game was a good example of his decision making where he coughed up the ball and it cost us goals, Sollys goal from his handball was gold:rolleyes:
And god i hope Quinn proves me wrong, because i will be the first to apologize, like i have about Jobe Watson.

Of course he is still a bit green for senior footy but the fact is he did not cost us the game against North and he played ok despite his ordinary first kick.
People keep slagging him for having a few **** ups but our whole side is full of players who have three or four **** ups a game.

The Freo game was a good example of a young bloke playing his first game. He gave up a couple of goals but what about the three goals he created with his run and bounce.

If you are going to pick the eyes out of the game then apply the same standards to all. There where worse players than Quinn out there on Sunday!!

Well I have had to wait 2 days before I felt calm enough to post.

That was perhaps one of the most insipid, frustrating and crap displays of football put on for over 15years at our club. I do not think we should just look at the score as that was not a true indication of how bad we were. Playing a side such as Geelong/St Kilda we would have lost by maybe 120+ points.

Issues:
-Kicking effeciency (I think at one stage it was as low as 40%) ended up around 60% across our side. This is unacceptable, it is, afterall, still called FOOTball. I am prepared to cut guys like Jobe some slack because it is a known weakness that he makes up for with sublime hands and I know he is working on it and has improved 100% in the last 2 season. However it is not good enough and will never be good enough. If we can't hit a target we won't win many games (SEE: FREO/RICHMOND/MELBOURNE)

- Lucas/McPhee: Agree with your position ant, not sure who comes in but that doesn't change the fact that they are senior players who gave an absolute shocker. Lucas was a NEGATIVE not just ineffectual. You can't afford to play 23 v 21... I know that he has been a good player at our club but maybe a couple of weeks in bendigo to get the hands and feet working. McPhee is never going to get any better, this is his peak. He will never be a good decision maker, never be good under pressure and I would rather see a fresh young face that the same old.

- Quinn: I AM NOT blaming him for the loss, I applaud us for thinking outside the box. i think this kid could be something. he is exciting and definately has "flair" however at this stage he is nowhere NEAR AFL standard. You can not afford that liability. There is no way your defence can survive if the half back streams through the middle only to cough it.. modern teams will rebound far too quickly and score.

- Coaching: I think Knights might be a good coach for development and those sorts of things however I am very very very dubious of his matchday ability. yes Welch is out, yes Hocking went down, but surely you can go to a like davey or houli or jetta and say: this is your role, stop boomer. To let a guy who is out of form and struggling run around free and cause absolute mayhem is just plain stupid. Try something, anything but DO something. Same goes for Hale, how do we let one of the most overrated hacks in the AFL kick bags on us? I know we were undermanned down there etc.. but maybe we need to suck it up and send fletcher back there. They had the luxury of kicking long all day and mark after mark was taken easily in their F50. I think at one stage winderlich was marking hamish mcintosh.. surprisingly enough.. hamish won :rolleyes:

That said I thought our effort was quite good, we laid tackles and did try to keep running the ball through the middle. Lloyd was inspirational again and it was a shame the interchange thing robbed him of 900. I think the miss might have had something to do with the record too... McVeigh was clearly rusty, but he will work back. Houli has to come back for my mind. Pears hasn't got it (and IMHO never will) and needs to go and do something.. Darcy looked out played and just woeful.. just cause Fev kicked wonky doesn't change the fact he was towelled up.. need a bigger body.. need something.. darcy is just not getting it done atm.

Ant: Thoughts on houli/jetta/myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back