North Melbourne's First-round drafting since 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of teams have worse track records in the 1st round over the same period of time. 1st rounders are not our problem necessarily.

North are consistently horrible at drafting in the 2nd round - which is where you should be picking up talented role players in less valued positions.

A lot of teams have worse track records in the 1st round over the same period of time. 1st rounders are not our problem necessarily.

North are consistently horrible at drafting in the 2nd round - which is where you should be picking up talented role players in less valued positions.

The thing is though is there is a difference between first rounders. There is a big difference between pick 3 and pick 17 for instance. They are both first rounders but one should be an almost impossible to miss slam dunk and the other is a bit more speculative.

Look what dudoro drafted for the dons if you think north's was bad.
Go look at Freos 1st round picks from 2007-14.... And you wonder why the dockers finals period of 2012-15 is a miracle.

2007: Rhys Palmer
2008: Stephen Hill
2009: Anthony Morabito
2010: Jayden Pitt
2011: Tom Sheridan
2012: Josh Simpson
2013: Michael Apeness
2014: Lachie Weller

Not just drafting. It's development.

North Melbourne's midfield last week.

Wardlaw (Pick 4)
Phillips (Pick 3)
Powell (Pick 13)
LDU (Pick 4)
Simpkin (Pick 12)
Xerri (Pick 72)

Average games: 75.5

34 clearances. 45 inside 50s.

Missing Sheezel (Pick 3)

Hawthorn midfield

Newcombe (MSD #2 pick)
Worpel (Pick 45)
Nash (Category B Rookie - #62 pick in rookie draft)
Mackenzie (Pick 7)
D'Ambrosio (traded for pick 61)
Meek (traded for pick 37)

Missing Day (Pick 13)

58 clearances. 66 inside 50s.

Average games: 69.5

Comprehensively smashed by a less experienced midfield with a worse drafting pedigree.

It's not just the picks or drafting. It's the development. North Melbourne really need to evaluate their development pathway.

It's a complete shambles from top to bototm.

That drafting really isn't that bad since 2015. McKay, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Sheezel, Horne-Francis, Wardlaw & Duursma should be a nucleus to build a very good side around. As actual players, the only bust is Phillips which is significantly better compared to a team like Essendon.

It's what happens following that which is the issue. The culture is shot. McKay wanted to leave, Thomas is a dog and Horne-Francis was probably never going to enjoy that environment.

Not just drafting. It's development.

North Melbourne's midfield last week.

Wardlaw (Pick 4)
Phillips (Pick 3)
Powell (Pick 13)
LDU (Pick 4)
Simpkin (Pick 12)
Xerri (Pick 72)

Average games: 75.5

34 clearances. 45 inside 50s.

Missing Sheezel (Pick 3)

Hawthorn midfield

Newcombe (MSD #2 pick)
Worpel (Pick 45)
Nash (Category B Rookie - #62 pick in rookie draft)
Mackenzie (Pick 7)
D'Ambrosio (traded for pick 61)
Meek (traded for pick 37)

Missing Day (Pick 13)

58 clearances. 66 inside 50s.

Average games: 69.5

Comprehensively smashed by a less experienced midfield with a worse drafting pedigree.

It's not just the picks or drafting. It's the development. North Melbourne really need to evaluate their development pathway.

It's a complete shambles from top to bototm.
I agree. If you think our drafting and development are bad, don’t start on our recruiting from other clubs. It’s even worse.

I agree. If you think our drafting and development are bad, don’t start on our recruiting from other clubs. It’s even worse.

The problem is North are such a bad team and have been for a long time that none of the good established players want to go there. McKay won more games at Essendon in one season than he did in his entire career at North (or something like that).

He is but he is also no star.

I can pay LDU perhaps being better than serviceable but most people would say he is far from being a star player.
This is just nonsense.

You're splitting the rating category into 3, so if there's approx 800 players in the AFL then all being equal, 267 players are in the star category.

Sure, you may want to make serviceable a larger component, so let's go with 20/60/20, that's still 160 in the star category.

In all reality, LDU is probably top 50 (or higher) in the league, which would put him in the top 7%.

Either way, LDU is comfortably inside that category regardless of the rubbish naming convention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is North are such a bad team and have been for a long time that none of the good established players want to go there. McKay won more games at Essendon in one season than he did in his entire career at North (or something like that)i
9 wins from 71 games at North vs 11 wins from 23 games. (9 wins from his first 14)

A small club mired in the doldrums has always been of interest to me, so I looked through North's list and noticed a dearth of experienced players that were originally drafted by North.

So I decided to look back on North's first round drafting since 2010 and it made for some shocking reading. I'll provide three categories for the drafted players: star, serviceable or bust.

2010 - Pick 17 - Shaun Atley (serviceable)
2011 - Pick 18 - Brad Mackenzie (bust)
2012 - Pick 15 - Taylor Garner (bust)
2013 - Pick 8 - Luke McDonald (serviceable - severe whipping boy though)
2014 - Pick 16 - Sam Durdin (bust)
2015 - Pick 21- Ben McKay (bust)
2016 - Pick 12 - Jy Simpkin (serviceable - also a severe whipping boy)
2017 - Pick 4 - LUD (serviceable)
2018 - Pick 8 - Tarryn Thomas (bust)
2019 - gave up pick 8 (Freo used this to select an S-tier player - Caleb Serong)
2020 - Pick 3 - Will Phillips (likely bust), Pick 13 - Tom Powell (showed some promise, probably serviceable at this stage)
2021 - Pick 1 - JFH (I have no words)
2022 - Pick 3 and 4 - Sheezel (likely star) and Wardlaw (also looking good)
2023 - Pick 4 and 20 - early days, get a pass for now

They've drafted 0 bonafide stars and have only obtained 4 serviceable players from 13 years of first round draft picks.

This has got to be the most shocking drafting and development of all time. What would make it more depressing is if this was compared to some of the middle of the road clubs (forget about contending clubs from the same period).

This thread isn't meant to be about priority picks but I don't see the point in priority picks if they are going to be squandered notwithstanding there's some bad luck thrown in the mix too. If the AFL writes them an additional yearly check say $1m for recruitment and development spending, it may be a lot more effective.

From 2015 onwards their first round drafting has been fine.

Sheezel is the best young player in the competition (top five at the very worst). Likely star? Just lol. He's putting up peak GAJ stats as a 19 year old in his second season.

Wardlaw looks like he will become the player he promised to be.

LDU is a gun as well.

Thomas was playing good footy prior to his own personality issues coming to the fore. Could they have predicted that?

JHF probably never wanted to be there, but they picked the best available talent.

McKay obviously wasn't a bust.

Simpkin is a good player. Powell is a good player.

The only real downer in they period is Phillips, who could well still end up as a solid squad player and culture guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne's First-round drafting since 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back