North Recruiters overlook Brownlow winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Might and Power

Senior List
May 5, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

Selection #7 - David Hale
Selection #8 - James (Jimmy) Bartel

I guess the line "we pick the best player available in the early rounds" is simply not true given the example above of a 'tall' taken ahead of a 'mid'.

Either that or the recruiting department made one hell of an oversight.

Bad work.

or Bartel has improved since he was drafted.......

Its a lottery in the draft. You are basing decisions on under age competition football while the players are still developing.

I guess the line "we pick the best player available in the early rounds" is simply not true given the example above of a 'tall' taken ahead of a 'mid'.

Bad work.

How many club boards are you posting that crap on tonight?

2001 we needed a ruckman and that's what we went for, hopeful Hale has a Hamish like year next year then that pick will be deemed a winner.

I can still remember in 05 or 06 that we made a play for Bartel when he was a bit disgruntled at the Cats..pity for us and lucky for them that he stayed :(

Bartel took a while to develop, to the point he was muted as trade bait after his first 2-3 seasons.

Bad work.
Ah the wisdom of hindisght.

How easy it is to be smart after the event. Or should one say be a smart a***?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad work.

and....

every club in the league has been guilty of 'missing out' on a quality player in the draft. Its not in exact science and one people would hardly lose sleep over. Big deal.

Ah the wisdom of hindisght.

How easy it is to be smart after the event. Or should one say be a smart a***?

Luke Molan was selected at 9 (never played an AFL game).
Sam Power was selected at 10 (ordinary).

Not exactly two players' of high/rare quality, Horace.

Just would have been nice given that three selections fell after Hale and furthermore of Bartel was selected to compliment somebody like Harris from the year before. Thereby, bolstering the midfield with two hard/inside midfield types.

Just would have been nice given that three selections fell after Hale and furthermore of Bartel was selected to compliment somebody like Harris from the year before. Thereby, bolstering the midfield with two hard/inside midfield types.
Point...?

Point. 'The wisdom of hindsight. Hardly a Cox Plate field followed the Bartel selection. So what were the knocks on Bartel by the recruiters.
That is my point.

I'd say, without any inside knowledge, the knocks on Bartel were that they felt Hale filled a bigger need and had more upside. Not that far-fetched.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say there.

Perhaps the words "bad work" might be best left out of your original post, as it would seem that two other clubs (at least) also did not quite measure up in that draft.

It might also be worthwhile trying to establish what the main objective was in that and any draft for that matter. You say Bartel would have complemented Harris, however you forget that in the same year as Harris the club drafted Dylan Smith, who was widely tipped to be a gun midfielder. 2001 was too early to make a judgement on Smith, so it makes sense that a ruckman would be a priority before a midfielder.

Usually early in the draft clubs aim to pick players who will fill a specific weakness, rather than picking who they see as the best available talent.

So before you criticise, acquaint yourself with all of the facts, not just those that suit your purpose.

These threads are CLEARLY the lamest on BF.
There are hundreds and hundreds of examples where average players got taken ahead of other players who went on to be stars.
Every club has done it, many times.
Drafting will always be an inexact science.

These threads are CLEARLY the lamest on BF.
There are hundreds and hundreds of examples where average players got taken ahead of other players who went on to be stars.
Every club has done it, many times.
Drafting will always be an inexact science.

Just like Geelong missing out on Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Recruiters overlook Brownlow winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back