2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to say that too many are playing well but the endeavour is there.

Cachia is a bull but disposals not great.
Wood has done well but tapouts not always hitting targets.
Graham having a bit a down period . Relatively speaking.
Cripps ok but nor seeing enough action.
Bootsma showing more vigour. Been ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not usually the type of game I enjoy with regular stoppages but this one was as tough as nails.
After a slow start the NB's just about controlled the contest after half time but just couldn't find a goal.

Casey played the cleaner and somewhat more systematic game but I have to give it to just about all the boys here today. They played hard.
They will need plenty of ice down Casey way tonight, as several of their players will be battered and bruised............badly.
Cachia set the example early for the NB's and everyone bought in. Body on the line was the theme of the day.
We just weren't clean and still aren't quite participating as a unit whereas Casey just had players in the right positions to further their game-plan, allowing them to find an easy exit out of stoppages and continually gain ground heading goal-wards.

Other than the boys I've already mentioned, I'll fill in the blanks:

McInnes was solid and
disciplined. You can just see him getting back into where he was 2 years ago. Progressing nicely and seems a little meaner than before.
Giles got done over again early on but hit back hard after being moved off Smith. He's a good thinker and cool under pressure. Lots to like.
Reynolds is still
finding it a lit hard to find the ball although not for intent. Ground didn't favour his style today either.
Johnson again looked lively and dangerous. Made mistakes (especially kicking into man on mark when kicking for goal) but has something going for him.
Sheehan did well again today. He's a tough bastard but you can tell that he's just starting to gain a little confidence. Small steps.
Byrne didn't get a lot of the ball but his qualities are evident. No
shortage of courage and has a very tricky movement about him. Could be a tricky match-up.
Lucas: Not good. Coughed the ball up several times resulting in a free to the opposition. Not going to say more.
Holman is an angry lad. Really put his opponent off at times and even though possession weren't high, the endeavour was. He'll have better days.
Temay did a couple of good things, including a nice goal but just not active enough. Again he looked like he could but just didn't.

They did :(

There was a dubious recall of a throw in where we kicked a goal.....momentum was lost after that.

A real soggy scrag of a game, however it wasn't raining for much of the day - mostly during the first quarter break.

Players I noticed (both for good and bad):
Bootsma - Had a red hot go....sometimes he comes across as indifferent, but today were his conditions. He's a scrappy player that is a good solid stopper, and this weather is perfect for that block and smother style. Laid some hard tackles and was finessed with his kicking
Cripps - played a bit deeper forward. Good in the first half, tried to run out his leg injury (which annoyed me because he was struggling on the boundary line, but still went back out onto the field) - his leg injury looked calf related, and his seem very small for his body size....might be an area that needs focus during the pre-season
Graham - Got in there and you knew he was busting his gut....but something didnt click like usual today
Cachia - Hard, but not always clean with his disposal. Laid some very tough tackles and got in a bit of a fight in the middle of the ground - he was fired up
Giles - Makes some great decisions and is a great kick of the ball, but was simply outplayed by his opponent early on. Was consistently a length behind, and his attempts at punching the ball away weren't strong enough. I think he'll be a good player for us, but today wasnt his day
Temay - Nowhere near as tidy as he has been, and think he struggled with the conditions
Holman - reminds me of Robbo....has a real crack at it, and looks good at VFL level. Don't expect him to see too much seniors time this year, but see him as a keeper once he puts a bit more bulk on his frame
Lucas - just no impact. The conditions don't suit his style of play, but i would have hoped he would try to adapt.....he didnt
Wood - has really surprised me....like many, his selection really surprised me, but he is great...maybe still a little slow at times, and is a traditional big bodied ruckman, but he is really taking this opportunity with both hands, and I would be comfortable with him in the senior team if we needed the coverage

Players who didnt do enough to notice - Byrne, Sheehan (Both still clearly learning the game....and quickly at that), McInnes (had a few good spoils, but not his best day IMO), Reynolds, Johnson (he's an interesting one this one....not quite sure what to make of him)

Many dropped marks, and horrible use of the ball from both sides....seemed very amateur at times - but a good contest nonetheless.

As I walked into Visy Park this afternoon I was transported back to the '70s as I spotted a heavy ground, particularly the centre area & CHF at both ends of the ground. There was plenty of water splashing up when the ball hit the ground so it was quite clear we were in for some wet weather football.

The game got under way & it was Casey who were first to adapt to the conditions opening up an early lead. At quarter time there was a massive downpour, ensuring that there was to be four quarters of wet weather football. Casey played very good wet weather football in the second quarter, not trying to be too clever, with little finessing & as a result opened up what turned out to be a match winning 26 point lead by half time.

To their credit in the third quarter, the Northern Blues outplayed Casey in the wet weather football stakes & reduced Casey's lead to 8 points at three quarter time. Then followed the ugliest quarter of football I have seen in 45 years as a footy supporter. Although the Northern Blues spent the majority of the last quarter camped inside F50, they were unable to trouble the scorers at all. This was the result of Casey going extremely defensive, playing the majority of the team behind the ball. I was frustrated at one boundary throw in to see 27 players inside our F50. This was bettered a couple of minutes later at a ball up when there was 32 players inside the F50. There was no way the NB were going to get a clean possession & shot on goal under these circumstances. So for the majority of the last quarter the game was there to be won, but the NB never looked like getting the necessary shots on goal to snatch the win & ultimately a late goal to Casey ensured they took home the 4 points,10.11.71 to 8.7.55.

How did the Carlton listed players go, you may ask. Well this was not a game where players could really display their wares so what I am about to write is not going to be pretty, although it wasn't all bad.

Holman - not a day that he would want to hang his hat on. Struggled to find space & most of his disposals were under pressure & indiscriminate. Has gone off the boil somewhat in the last couple of weeks.

McInnes - a rock of Gibraltar in defence, did not concede a goal to his opponent & constantly stood in the way of Casey's forward forays. Is not far off where he was at pre-ACL.

Wood - again was the best ruckman on the ground & in the first half particularly his tap work was a real feature. After half time I felt at times he was just tapping the ball anywhere, particularly in the last quarter & did not give our midfielders the advantage they needed to allow them to get clear of their Casey opponents.

Reynolds - yet another underwhelming game from Luke whilst up forward, being easily outbodied by his opponent. Got his hands on the ball a few times in the second half playing at half back, but is not impacting games at all.

Graham - as he always does, he found plenty of the ball, but was constantly under pressure & many of his disposals were hurried & ineffective, making life difficult for our forwards. Will learn a lot from this game about what he needs to do to impact games when the odds are stacked against him.

Cripps - did some really good things when in possession of the ball & worked hard defensively as well. He seems fitter now than he was a few weeks ago, getting to far more contests than what he was. Unfortunately, as noted earlier in the thread, he sustained an injury to either his calf or shin & after trying to run it out, was off the ground for the final minutes of the game.

Bootsma - I thought his work rate was really good today, a continuation of what he displayed last week. He got himself to a number of marking contests to either spoil or take the mark himself. Did get brushed aside in a couple of ground contests, but what stood out for me today was his body language. You could see he was there to play. I think he has had a bit of a shake up in recent weeks.

Johnson - not a day for Johnson to display his wares. Had very little space to lead into & the greasy ball prevented him from taking the marks he would normally take. Only had one shot on goal, which he kicked into the man on the mark. Should write today off as a bad one & look forward to the next game after the bye.

Sheehan - defensively was first rate. Refused to be outmarked, making sure he spoiled at every marking contest. He got the ball a few times, but rushed his disposals & at times gave the ball off to teammates in a worse position than himself. He is on a steep learning curve at the moment.

Giles - had an absolute 'Barry Crocker' today. Outclassed by Casey listed player, Tim Smith, who kicked 4 goals on him (his 5th was kicked on Anthony). Consistently failed to read the play & was caught out of position as a result. I'm thinking that perhaps with the likes of Jamison, Rowe, White, Watson, McInnes ahead of him as defensive talls, he should be given the opportunity to play forward, given that was where he played most of his junior football, prior to last year.

Cachia - thought he was our best today. His ball usage was more effective than the other midfielders & was the only one really creating opportunities for teammates. Given how close he was to senior selection this week, today's game may have pushed him past the post for senior selection after next week's bye.

Temay - more of the same from Tom. Did some good stuff & spent a lot of time invisible. I was wrapped when he took a contested mark, which I doubted he would go for, & topped it off with a nice goal & he stood up for a couple of teammates during the occasional push & shove that took place, but overall was disappointing.

Lucas - I thought he was among our better players on a day which I didn't think would suit him. Got into the packs at times & laid some good tackles. He will never be Mitch Robinson, but I thought he worked really hard today in a match which was not suited to outside players.

Byrne - this kid presents well as a forward & gets his hands on the ball regularly in marking contests, but is yet to start holding his marks. Kicked a goal, to the pleasure of his Irish teammate who made a point of running down to give him a high five. I like what I see with this kid, he looks a bit more suited to the game than Sheehan.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back