2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

So happy to hear Andy Mac is recapturing his 2012 form. One of my faves.

Thanks for the reports everyone :)

McInnes was solid and disciplined. You can just see him getting back into where he was 2 years ago. Progressing nicely and seems a little meaner than before.
McInnes - a rock of Gibraltar in defence, did not concede a goal to his opponent & constantly stood in the way of Casey's forward forays. Is not far off where he was at pre-ACL.

Great stuff Tony :thumbsu:

That's a good question HARKER. It is difficult to think of a comparable player who he moves like.

What I like about him is his mobility & that he already seems to know where to lead to when playing in the forward line. At 187cm he is never going to be a KPP, yet he does seem to play taller than his 187cm. He may well end up a similar forward to what Crameri is, or perhaps because he plays tall could become a Gunston type forward (of course I am not suggesting he will end up as good as either of these players). He is certainly going to be a different player to what Tuohy is & what Sheehan could become.

I must admit I am more bullish about Byrne than Sheehan on what I have seen so far, but this could change as Sheehan gains a bit more self belief.

That's a good question HARKER. It is difficult to think of a comparable player who he moves like.

What I like about him is his mobility & that he already seems to know where to lead to when playing in the forward line. At 187cm he is never going to be a KPP, yet he does seem to play taller than his 187cm. He may well end up a similar forward to what Crameri is, or perhaps because he plays tall could become a Gunston type forward (of course I am not suggesting he will end up as good as either of these players). He is certainly going to be a different player to what Tuohy is & what Sheehan could become.

I must admit I am more bullish about Byrne than Sheehan on what I have seen so far, but this could change as Sheehan gains a bit more self belief.

He had the ball in a forward pocket with a player bearing down on him. He jumped up cleared his hands and got the ball off to a team-mate....................................and I thought Fyfe. :) O.K. it was only for a fleeting moment but it happened.

Nah, the kid is an athlete and was blitzing his group through the 200 mt sprints in the pre-season.
Has some quality traits but it's going to be a long haul. I hope he's up to giving it his best shot. Nice guy.

He seems very confident for a kid who has just stepped into Aussie Rules. This is in stark contrast to Sheehan who seems a lot more circumspect on the field (you can see he is really just focusing on trying to do everything right, which is not a bad thing).

I've liked Sheehan so far as he's clearly just trying to stick to the basics which is most likely under instruction anyway.

Being a back-man, I don't even know if he can mark, as the clear instructions there are punch first every time.
I was shocked to see Bootsma going up and taking a mark early in the game. Unusual..........Malthouse may have him for toast. :)

Rebuilding the Northern Blues

You could not blame Brent Bransgrove for thinking he's somewhat of a lone ranger.

The Northern Blues captain watched, somewhat in bewilderment, as the VFL Blues had its VFL core eroded over the summer months.

First, last season’s co-captain Andre Gianfagna decided to switch from playing to umpiring. Then the club saw Kane Lambert and Adam Marcon, the best and fairest winners from the previous two seasons, depart for Williamstown.

And, then ruck man Nick Meese, whom Bransgrove had come to Cramer Street from TAC Cup club Northern Knights with, also left to become a Seagull.

It saw the Northern Blues lose more than 200 games of VFL experience as well as some quality that cannot be replaced overnight.

It left Bransgrove and Tyson Thomas as the club’s only two VFL players with more than 50 games experience.

Not a bad article
discussing the difficulties the NB's had coming into this year.

How are you going to cope MS?
It's not easy, let me tell you. To make matters worse, we are moving house next weekend so I will be missing the game at Peptide Hill against Essendope reserves (perhaps soon to be their seniors) & then the following weekend is the VFL v SANFL game, so there is no VFL home & away games that weekend. My next game will be when we play Sandringham at Visy Park on 7 June. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not easy, let me tell you. To make matters worse, we are moving house next weekend so I will be missing the game at Peptide Hill against Essendope reserves (perhaps soon to be their seniors) & then the following weekend is the VFL v SANFL game, so there is no VFL home & away games that weekend. My next game will be when we play Sandringham at Visy Park on 7 June. Bring it on.
Peptide Hill. I wonder if they will have a list to play us by then? ASADA may be slow, but they ARE finally making the right sort of noises.

So what is it about Temay that is not quite going right?
I hear he is very fit, with good class and disposal, so what is not working? Is it worth giving him time in the ones to see how he reacts?

Peptide Hill. I wonder if they will have a list to play us by then? ASADA may be slow, but they ARE finally making the right sort of noises.

I already like what Ben McDevitt has said about the process. Be patient people, it's coming.

So what is it about Temay that is not quite going right?
I hear he is very fit, with good class and disposal, so what is not working? Is it worth giving him time in the ones to see how he reacts?

I can't see a reason to throw him into the firsts at this stage.

Temay is in the top 5 best runners at our club as it stands but that endurance isn't showing up through his games just at this point.
Came to us as a back-man/tagger capable of spending time through the centre yet he's spent more time up forward, this year to date.

Hard to say what the football department have in mind for him.

I can't see a reason to throw him into the firsts at this stage.

Temay is in the top 5 best runners at our club as it stands but that endurance isn't showing up through his games just at this point.
Came to us as a back-man/tagger capable of spending time through the centre yet he's spent more time up forward, this year to date.

Hard to say what the football department have in mind for him.
He has certainly been a burst player: he has had periods of play when he has simply willed himself on the game and picked up 10 possessions and a few goals in a quarter. Other times he can go 15 minutes without getting near it. I don't know if he is going to make it, but I could be really wrong.

He has certainly been a burst player: he has had periods of play when he has simply willed himself on the game and picked up 10 possessions and a few goals in a quarter. Other times he can go 15 minutes without getting near it. I don't know if he is going to make it, but I could be really wrong.

He's a hard one to pick isn't he?
Runs onto the ground and looks 100% footballer but the showings have been far from consistent or even eye-catching.

Given we're quicker to move players on than previously, Tom may just be feeling a little nervous right now........but I can't say for sure.

I still believe Temay can make it although I do think he like other battler types in Ratten, Carrazzo etc will need to do his apprenticeship in the back pocket. He's playing as a defensive forward this year but we never seem to hear much acknowledgement of how he went in his shut down role or who he was tagging.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back