Northern Football League Division 1 - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Hammer is a talented young player..... But if you ask him he would agree that last year heid got him a job and he was also doing a pre app so work was a priority which is a positive about him.... he was also more interested in being a 18 year old than a footballer.... great kid hope it goes well for him and his junior club he has gone back too.... P.s. read the post before yours musta.... says heid look after there home grown which hammer was not if you want to be technical...
hammer never played a junior game at macleod buddy. doing a pre app doesnt bloody stop you from playing footy mate im pretty sure all the players in the nfl work. so now back to the home grown talent you look after, like the other post how many of them actually play seniors at heid?? i can think of drapac and favrin

Which club will come along next and knock the Tigers off their pedestal?
I'll guarantee it's a club that understands you can't do it without recruiting the right people.

To recruit the "right people" it will take $$$$$$$.
WHO in the NFL apart from Heidelberg can afford the $$$ to get these "right people" to come to their club ?
From what I am hearing there are a few NFL clubs are finding it a bit tough just to pay the players they have already letalone being able to go out and recruit "the right people"!:rolleyes:
Do you think Thomastown failed so miserably in Div 1 last year because they didn't understand they needed to recruit the right people?:rolleyes:

To recruit the "right people" it will take $$$$$$$.
WHO in the NFL apart from Heidelberg can afford the $$$ to get these "right people" to come to their club ?
From what I am hearing there are a few NFL clubs are finding it a bit tough just to pay the players they have already letalone being able to go out and recruit "the right people"!:rolleyes:
Do you think Thomastown failed so miserably in Div 1 last year because they didn't understand they needed to recruit the right people?:rolleyes:

Would it be fair to say Montmorency had a crack for a few years and didn't recruit very astutely? They got the wrong blokes that came in, took the cash, didn't perform and left. At least at Heidleberg they get it right with the blokes they chase thats all i'm saying.

there isnt a club out there who wouldnt buy in top players as Heidelberg are doing if they had the same $$$, but as they dont they have to work hard on there junior programs and get plenty of good kids up through the ranks, but to make out the the tigers have a good system is a bit of a streach when you look at how there 19's are going, still alot of work needed if the main man ever leaves with his wallet. the Tigers have the best side in the comp by a country mile but the depth is just not there at the moment.
Good to have the week off but cant wait to get back to the footy on saturday:thumbsu:

Exactly mate your spot on. Just because players aren't good enough to get a game in the seniors doesn't mean they are not looked after. Yeah, Heidleberg have recruited extremely well over the years. Look back over the years in this league and any other local 1st Division competition and you will find that to be successful and win Premierships you must recruit well. Instead of complaining about Northcote Park being too good and too arrogant, Heidleberg actually did something about it and produced a better model than theirs.
Which club will come along next and knock the Tigers off their pedestal?
I'll guarantee it's a club that understands you can't do it without recruiting the right people.

You mean recruiting the right man with all the $$$$$$$$

As for the other clubs the comp seems pretty even all round so it would be fair to say everyone is doing OK.

Take the man with the $$$ away you have no model. Your reserves and 19's are struggling and it would appear nothing coming through at Divvy one level.

Every dog has its day (or in this case should I say Tiger)
icon7.gif

As for the other clubs the comp seems pretty even all round so it would be fair to say everyone is doing OK.

Take the man with the $$$ away you have no model. Your reserves and 19's are struggling and it would appear nothing coming through at Divvy one level.

icon7.gif

Mate i'm not even involved at Heidleberg, just pretty close to a few that are, as i am at a few clubs. My personal opinion is that the standard of football in this league has dropped off over the last 10 yrs a fair bit. 10 yrs ago the DVFL was the strongest metro league now its not even close to Eastern, and is falling well behind EDFL as we speak. So i wouldn't say all the other clubs are doing OK because clearly they aren't.

Mate i'm not even involved at Heidleberg, just pretty close to a few that are, as i am at a few clubs. My personal opinion is that the standard of football in this league has dropped off over the last 10 yrs a fair bit. 10 yrs ago the DVFL was the strongest metro league now its not even close to Eastern, and is falling well behind EDFL as we speak. So i wouldn't say all the other clubs are doing OK because clearly they aren't.

Mate it was all about the MODEL you were bragging. You changed the agenda item. Sounds like the few you know are pissing in your ear!!!

Unfortunately I think it all comes down to the club with the most $$$ will be top of the heap in Div 1 in this day and age. It is possible to win a Div 2 flag with home grown young talent as shown in recent years by Hurstbridge, Lalor & Thomastown but as good as these teams were in Div 2 they were still a long way off most of the Div 1 sides when they went up without being able to recruit the quality/ experiance of players needed to compete at Div 1 level.
I think Lalor who are last on the ladder with only one win would easily account for the unbeaten Whittlesea if they were to play this week but they didn't have the $$$$ to recruit any players this year and they are heading back to Div 2 by the looks of things?
They will be in a catch 22 position of trying to keep their young guns from going to other Div 1 clubs (who will no doubt be chasing a few) and trying to rebuild in Div 2 again to have another crack at Div 1 which they will yet again face the problem of recruiting like they have this year! I am not having a crack at them I am just stating the facts of the way it is for a club who is not able to compete financially with what is required at Div 1 level.

You can only go out and buy what you can afford and a few of the eastern district sides appear to be cashed up pretty well. As are a few in the EDFL and a few country league's which makes it hard for a few of the NFL clubs to recruit who they would like to.

Credit where it is due to Heidelberg to get the full value out of the players they buy.

It would seem we spoke to soon KA. Anyway, for what it's worth. Rearrange the bowl fruit whichever way you like, however, ya gotta get the mix right. To that end, Heidelberg do it better.

Unfortunately I think it all comes down to the club with the most $$$ will be top of the heap in Div 1 in this day and age. It is possible to win a Div 2 flag with home grown young talent as shown in recent years by Hurstbridge, Lalor & Thomastown but as good as these teams were in Div 2 they were still a long way off most of the Div 1 sides when they went up without being able to recruit the quality/ experiance of players needed to compete at Div 1 level.
I think Lalor who are last on the ladder with only one win would easily account for the unbeaten Whittlesea if they were to play this week but they didn't have the $$$$ to recruit any players this year and they are heading back to Div 2 by the looks of things?
They will be in a catch 22 position of trying to keep their young guns from going to other Div 1 clubs (who will no doubt be chasing a few) and trying to rebuild in Div 2 again to have another crack at Div 1 which they will yet again face the problem of recruiting like they have this year! I am not having a crack at them I am just stating the facts of the way it is for a club who is not able to compete financially with what is required at Div 1 level.

You can only go out and buy what you can afford and a few of the eastern district sides appear to be cashed up pretty well. As are a few in the EDFL and a few country league's which makes it hard for a few of the NFL clubs to recruit who they would like to.

Credit where it is due to Heidelberg to get the full value out of the players they buy.
no way would lalor account for whittlesea easily id actually back whittlesea.
Its not all about who has the most money its all about how you spend it and to heid credit there got a group of blokes who do gell together. Although i wish it would unfold soon, its getting to boring.

Let's put our "day-dream" caps on fella's. If your club suddenly came into $$$s at the end of the season, which current nfl player would you like to recruit next year to help your side progress up the ladder.

icon7.gif
Fair few days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's put our "day-dream" caps on fella's. If your club suddenly came into $$$s at the end of the season, which current nfl player would you like to recruit next year to help your side progress up the ladder.

Shane Harvey easily untill he left, Josh Houlihan next best by a mile untill he left, of whats available now either Dale Nolan,Daniel Keenan,Billy Morrison or Dave Florance.Speaking from a Bundoora supporter I would probably take Florance who some might argue not as accomplished as the others in my mind would be more valuable to what we lack.............interesting none the less!:thumbsu:

Too many clubs pay too much to their top couple of players which doesn't leave enough to go around. I think Mont for the past few years are a good example of this.

I also think too many clubs get bluffed by ex-AFL players. Zantuck at Heildeberg is a prefect example and Shannon Watt at West Preston isn't worth whatever coin he's getting.

Mate it was all about the MODEL you were bragging. You changed the agenda item. Sounds like the few you know are pissing in your ear!!!
Mate if you read my previous posts i have never referred to Heidleberg as being me, we, my, us or I so it can't be me bragging buddy. I just call it as i see it and at the moment their club is superior to the rest. When another club takes their spot as the best i'll praise them too because its good for the league and i wanna see the Northern League back where it belongs as the best in Melbourne.
SlashersBro i can't take you seriously after you compared Bennett favourably to a few of the most respected players in the comp.

Too many clubs pay too much to their top couple of players which doesn't leave enough to go around. I think Mont for the past few years are a good example of this.

I also think too many clubs get bluffed by ex-AFL players. Zantuck at Heildeberg is a prefect example and Shannon Watt at West Preston isn't worth whatever coin he's getting.
Hey greengrass how do you know what Zantuck got paid or for that matter the circumstances in which he came to Heidelberg?

I also think too many clubs get bluffed by ex-AFL players. Zantuck at Heidelberg is a prefect example and Shannon Watt at West Preston isn't worth whatever coin he's getting.

Reinforces the Boof's earlier fruit bowl analogy. Recall Eltham cashed in some war bonds a few years back for Cox et al who didn't fire a shot.

Dynasties are built around a solid core who stay the course. Cougars had the Ahmads, Lennox, Origlasso, Little. Tigers have the Nolans, Hall, Harvey, Favrin. Which club will be next ??

The man could clearly play as shown by playing at the higest level. Having said that, he did very little at heidelberg, ok he played in a couple of flags?? But in my view he didn't set the world on fire.

Furious Styles, I would, in general, have to agree with you. I think that the standard has really leveled out over the past few seasons with that level of standard dropping. Overall, I believe that our clubs tend to recruit from within rather than introducing new blood to the competition, with Heidelberg as the exception. And this is one of the reasons why they have keep well ahead of the pack.
As well, the standard of the juniors coming thru has also plateaued off. Interestingly, over the past weekend was the Vic Metro Junior Championships with the NFL, like most other leagues, fielding two sides in the U14 and U15 age group divisions. For the first time that I can remember, and proably all time, none of the NFL teams won a game. And while there will no doubt be boys that come thru and make their mark in the seniors, overall, it doesn't bode well for the future standard in the league when compared to the other leagues.

Furious Styles, I would, in general, have to agree with you. I think that the standard has really leveled out over the past few seasons with that level of standard dropping. Overall, I believe that our clubs tend to recruit from within rather than introducing new blood to the competition, with Heidelberg as the exception. And this is one of the reasons why they have keep well ahead of the pack.
As well, the standard of the juniors coming thru has also plateaued off. Interestingly, over the past weekend was the Vic Metro Junior Championships with the NFL, like most other leagues, fielding two sides in the U14 and U15 age group divisions. For the first time that I can remember, and proably all time, none of the NFL teams won a game. And while there will no doubt be boys that come thru and make their mark in the seniors, overall, it doesn't bode well for the future standard in the league when compared to the other leagues.

Finally someone who sees the bigger picture...

More to the point. How many juniors from our League in the last 10 lived their dream and played AFL?

The man could clearly play as shown by playing at the higest level. Having said that, he did very little at heidelberg, ok he played in a couple of flags?? But in my view he didn't set the world on fire.
Totally agreed,played a couple of good games. 2008 GF Bergers 38 points down half way through the 3rd,need a few to stand up. Zantuck,on one leg,plays a great last quarter.We all know the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back