Northern Football League Division 1 - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued failure of the Eltham model (not really a surprise to the learned punters though)

'Moron - What failure are you talking about ?

The Eltham model is working just fine. Yes we are disappointed we havent won a few more games especially v Macleod (1pt), WPL (7pts) and N.P (13pts). If we had bagged those 3 games, we would have been looking ok in 2nd or 3rd possie.

Our young kids are progressing well and will become a force given a season or 2 more to develop. We have 2 under 19 sides this year so this will only add to talent pool that Hayesy is currently developing.

(BTW - one of those u19 sides gave your home grown talent a 249 pt licking last saturday. :))

Anyway in answer to your questions:

1) Yep - Bergs over whoever
2) dean limbach
3) Mont dude above
4) Lalor
5) Hberg not being arrogant :eek::eek::eek:

1) Tiggers over Bunnies :eek: (dare say this is nearly odds on for most at the moment)
2) I actually dunno, hard when you only watch one team, gunna go for Nolan, or maybe see my answer for Q3.
3) Saul Caddy (at the moment he has only kicked less than 5 goals 3 times (and thats kicking 4)
4) Lala
5) Macleod. yeah sorta a surprise, probably not to them though, but I am sure they did surprise the teams they beat early on. But for me its the fact that a player for the Slime (who for now will remain nameless) will be wearing pink panties (specially brought to fit his rather large legs (apparently I have been told that chicks don't have legs like that!!)) in a upcoming round after making a rather drunken silly bet..............and I won!!! He has confirmed he will stick to his side of the bet..........:D:D:D

Underbelly since you most likely watched a few div 2 teams run around last year what is your thought on those teams and which ones do you think could make it in div 1? as you guys are giving it a good crack at the moment!

Since you asked , my thoughts on the following D2 Contenders :

Whittlesea - good blend of youth and experience. Will need to strengthen
their backline if they want to compete against D1 teams with proven forward lines. Have a few players with 'limited' ability who definately wouldn't cut the mustard this year, so if they can recruit in the off season and improve their depth, they will be competitive. Will win games in D1 if they get there.

Lower Plenty - play their own ground quite well but struggle on the bigger ground with open spaces. Maybe 2 years away

Epping - rely on the same players week in / week out. Would definately struggle in D1 with the existing team, but if they go all the way in D2 this year, who knows, the type of club that could attract recruits (Lalor might be on their radar)

Diamond Creek - no, no, no, no, no

So probably only Whittlesea at this point in time.

What are ppl's thoughts at the halfway point of the season in terms of the following:

1) Premier & Runner up:
2) Comp B & F:
3) Best recruit:
4) Relegation:
5) Biggest surprise:

I will go:

1) Bergs over Bundoora
2) Bill Morrison
3) Paul De Chellis
4) Lalor
5) Macleod winning 4 games and being competitive against (almost) everyone. Continued failure of the Eltham model (not really a surprise to the learned punters though)
1/ heid by a long way. To beat the side who comes to play the most in the finals could be anyone atm.
2/ would be good to see jarrod king win it has been around for a while and always playing good footy, keenan was a stand out for mont when we played them so maybe him once again, but could be anyones atm.
3/ best recruit would have to be saul his already kicked 50 and traveling fine.
4/ lalor to play div2 next yr and whittlesea to come up.
5/ biggest supprise not to sure but biggest dissapointment would go to n/park alot of people had them finishing top 2 this yr and there 2nd last maybe the tide will change 2nd half of the yr.

Interesting to see a few people say Caddy as the best recruit of the year.

Should Nth Heidelberg not have done better with both Caddy and Harvey in their forward line all those years? Or was that a Brown/Fev saga?

1. Tigers (will possibly be the last of the dynasty years)
2. Jess Sinclair
3. Chops Caddy (just don't poke the bear)
4. Boys from Sydney Cres
5. Sudden deflation of the tyres on the Cougar's bandwagon (hopefully they can turn it around post June)

Interesting to see a few people say Caddy as the best recruit of the year.

Should Nth Heidelberg not have done better with both Caddy and Harvey in their forward line all those years? Or was that a Brown/Fev saga?

All those years never happened. From memory they probably played less than 20 games together. When Saul was at North he never played as a deep forward. He played alot at CHF and did win a B & F in their premiership in 05 playing as a ruckman.

Big chance to kick a ton this year i reckon.

1. Heidelberg over Bundoora
2. Dave Mitchell
3. Saul Caddy - influence on too many games to be debated
4. Lalor
5. Macleod making the step up and proving they can hold their own.

2010 Division One Seniors
W Preston Lakeside 5.3 8.7 12.13 14.15 (99)
Northcote Park 1.2 5.2 7.6 14.7 (91)

GOALS:
W Preston Lakeside: Robertson 3 Watt 2 Coen 2 Dobby 2 Kutrolli Ramaekers Morrison Meese Davies
Northcote Park: Saad 5 Habchi 2 Andrews 2 Colman 2 Violato 2 Papas

Can I ask a dumb question..."another split round will take place in Round 15 of the Division 1 season, over the July 24 and 31 weekends"....WHY? Or is this normal for DIVVY one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I ask a dumb question..."another split round will take place in Round 15 of the Division 1 season, over the July 24 and 31 weekends"....WHY? Or is this normal for DIVVY one?

Mrs ConnieCoburg, the reason for the second Div.1 split round is to allow the major division to drop one week behind the other two so that their finals series, and importantly the grand final, is spread out over the four weeks and the grand final is a standalone game on the last weekend (Saturday).

'Moron - What failure are you talking about ?

The Eltham model is working just fine. Yes we are disappointed we havent won a few more games especially v Macleod (1pt), WPL (7pts) and N.P (13pts). If we had bagged those 3 games, we would have been looking ok in 2nd or 3rd possie.

Our young kids are progressing well and will become a force given a season or 2 more to develop. We have 2 under 19 sides this year so this will only add to talent pool that Hayesy is currently developing.

(BTW - one of those u19 sides gave your home grown talent a 249 pt licking last saturday. :))

Anyway in answer to your questions:

1) Yep - Bergs over whoever
2) dean limbach
3) Mont dude above
4) Lalor
5) Hberg not being arrogant :eek::eek::eek:

Just saw a segment from the local footy show June 4th regarding Heidelberg - An ex president was talking about their fantastic youth program they have now -:rolleyes: Yeah really working well

Mrs ConnieCoburg, the reason for the second Div.1 split round is to allow the major division to drop one week behind the other two so that their finals series, and importantly the grand final, is spread out over the four weeks and the grand final is a standalone game on the last weekend (Saturday).

OK, Thanks for that!

Just saw a segment from the local footy show June 4th regarding Heidelberg - An ex president was talking about their fantastic youth program they have now -:rolleyes: Yeah really working well

It's based loosely on the Eltham model. The exception is that Heidelberg actually spends money rather than rely solely on its junior program hence why Eltham have not beaten Heidelberg since 1982.

It's based loosely on the Eltham model. The exception is that Heidelberg actually spends money rather than rely solely on its junior program hence why Eltham have not beaten Heidelberg since 1982.
Elthams problem is they never seem to be able to keep their gun juniors when they become senior players. Over the years they have lost far too many to seriously just rely on their juniors coming through. At Heidleberg their junior program is a shadow of Elthams yet their home grown talent always stay at the club. Its not hard to work out why. Heidleberg look after their own.

Elthams problem is they never seem to be able to keep their gun juniors when they become senior players. Over the years they have lost far too many to seriously just rely on their juniors coming through. At Heidleberg their junior program is a shadow of Elthams yet their home grown talent always stay at the club. Its not hard to work out why. Heidleberg look after their own.[/quote]
ha ha now that is one of the funniest posts written on here... great sarcasm...

Elthams problem is they never seem to be able to keep their gun juniors when they become senior players. Over the years they have lost far too many to seriously just rely on their juniors coming through. At Heidleberg their junior program is a shadow of Elthams yet their home grown talent always stay at the club. Its not hard to work out why. Heidleberg look after their own.

junior programs are only successful depending on the demographic of the area. look at clubs with big junior prgrams eltham yarrambat research epping greensborough st mary`s all growth areas. then look at areas with older population and a more ethnic percentage of population with a direct and strong competition with soccer such as reservoir thomastown lalor etc

spot on..... kidding look after talent you didnt even put up a fight for hamish paynter. He would be one of the best young fellas going around.

Given Hammer is a talented young player..... But if you ask him he would agree that last year heid got him a job and he was also doing a pre app so work was a priority which is a positive about him.... he was also more interested in being a 18 year old than a footballer.... great kid hope it goes well for him and his junior club he has gone back too.... P.s. read the post before yours musta.... says heid look after there home grown which hammer was not if you want to be technical...

junior programs are only successful depending on the demographic of the area. look at clubs with big junior prgrams eltham yarrambat research epping greensborough st mary`s all growth areas. then look at areas with older population and a more ethnic percentage of population with a direct and strong competition with soccer such as reservoir thomastown lalor etc

Exactly mate your spot on. Just because players aren't good enough to get a game in the seniors doesn't mean they are not looked after. Yeah, Heidleberg have recruited extremely well over the years. Look back over the years in this league and any other local 1st Division competition and you will find that to be successful and win Premierships you must recruit well. Instead of complaining about Northcote Park being too good and too arrogant, Heidleberg actually did something about it and produced a better model than theirs.
Which club will come along next and knock the Tigers off their pedestal?
I'll guarantee it's a club that understands you can't do it without recruiting the right people.

Which club will come along next and knock the Tigers off their pedestal?
I'll guarantee it's a club that understands you can't do it without recruiting the right people.

that wasnt really my point. my point was that clubs like eltham yarrambat epping etc dont have to do too much to have huge junior programs due to the demographic of the area. kids will fall into their laps. same story in the edfl and wrfl clubs such as sydenham craigieburn point cook and werribee all have big numbers due to the amaount of the kids living in those particular areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back