Northern Football League Division 1 - Part VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Why pay people bog loads of cash to play a couple of games when u have players who are better who have come through the juniors...They haven't shut down shop..they jut have talent who have come through there club. Not there fault.. Horrible to think a club develop there players who can obviously get the job done ( refer to bundora, burgers and west Preston match) Must be horrible down there to have players who play for passion and not a massive pay check. Its great for local football to actually have locals playing thanks for agreeing better than sucking to teet of a sponsor then paying players who don't even wannabe down there.
For years we here about the clubs with strong junior programs and the good players these programs have produced, ie. G/Borough, Mont, Eltham, D/Ck yet First Div premierships and thats what we're all about for some strange reason haven't come that easy, in fact off the top of my head I'd think between these four clubs they would have played as many second div games as first in the last 20 years and as far as WINNING (Mont) first div finals the sucess rates not to flash there is it. Please explain

For years we here about the clubs with strong junior programs and the good players these programs have produced, ie. G/Borough, Mont, Eltham, D/Ck yet First Div premierships and thats what we're all about for some strange reason haven't come that easy, in fact off the top of my head I'd think between these four clubs they would have played as many second div games as first in the last 20 years and as far as WINNING (Mont) first div finals the sucess rates not to flash there is it. Please explain

I don't begrudge any team who recruits a couple of marquee players if that's the difference between being ordinary and super competitive for a tilt. It's so damn hard to even get anyone ex AFL to sign on for a fair & reasonable price and for them to fit right in without upsetting the applecart. I know we've tried many people contacts but just can't seem to get anywhere, so we make do with the kids and the junior clubs is what we have to rely on. Maybe we just need to advertise the available remuneration and then hope the leadership group approves the player. Reward loyalty or go for broke.... Thoughts ?

Once again terrible umpiring yesterday!! Is it just west Preston that get sh*t umpires week in week out? Maybe the umpires should stop believing that they are bigger than the game!!

West had the run of the green from where I stood and from what I can remember kicked three goals from direct dubious free kicks.Credit to Cloke who pulled his head in after being sent off after a stupid yellow card seemingly taking a mark in the goal square only to have it taken away:eek:.Great game with both sides looking the winner untill the very end.Gutsy win BULLS being 4 down late in the last.:thumbsu:

West had the run of the green from where I stood and from what I can remember kicked three goals from direct dubious free kicks.Credit to Cloke who pulled his head in after being sent off after a stupid yellow card seemingly taking a mark in the goal square only to have it taken away:eek:.Great game with both sides looking the winner untill the very end.Gutsy win BULLS being 4 down late in the last.:thumbsu:

Quite agree about the umpiring, with West Preston clearly favoured. At one point Cloke took a mark up forward but West Preston received a free, then they got a further two or three as they went downfield and kicked agoal, so that almost the entire move was driven by the umpires. Not saying every decision was wrong, but overall the umpiring did seem to be one way.

Bundoora seemed gone at 3/4 time, but their coach was excellent in the huddle, speaking calmly and instilling in the players that they could still do it.

Funny game, with momentum fluctuiating throughout. The southern end was the scoring end in the first half and then the northern end in the second. Good to see Anthony Rocca playing for West, but he was in the ruck for most of the 2nd half so I am assuming the regular ruckman went down sometime around half time.

Quite agree about the umpiring, with West Preston clearly favoured. At one point Cloke took a mark up forward but West Preston received a free, then they got a further two or three as they went downfield and kicked agoal, so that almost the entire move was driven by the umpires. Not saying every decision was wrong, but overall the umpiring did seem to be one way.

Bundoora seemed gone at 3/4 time, but their coach was excellent in the huddle, speaking calmly and instilling in the players that they could still do it.

Funny game, with momentum fluctuiating throughout. The southern end was the scoring end in the first half and then the northern end in the second. Good to see Anthony Rocca playing for West, but he was in the ruck for most of the 2nd half so I am assuming the regular ruckman went down sometime around half time.

surely you can't be serious? Cameron Cloke is one of the most easily sucked in players going around.
He commits an act of stupidity, gets yellow carded and gives away two 50s and you question the integrity of the umpires? idiot.
Next you will be calling the AFL tribunal cheats for rubbing out Barry Hall after he decked Staker.

surely you can't be serious? Cameron Cloke is one of the most easily sucked in players going around.
He commits an act of stupidity, gets yellow carded and gives away two 50s and you question the integrity of the umpires? idiot.
Next you will be calling the AFL tribunal cheats for rubbing out Barry Hall after he decked Staker.

Any one who gets Delisted by Port Adelaide must be a superstar!

Now I don’t usually do this but surely there was a representative of the unmpires panel at the Game on Saturday who walked into the rooms after BOTH grades and simply asked, ‘What the F%$k are you blokes on?’ How hard is it to protect the player going for the football?
The reserves was typical, sniping by The West lesser lights and actively encouraged by umpires who would constantly reward them when the victims retaliated to some crap that would get the offender knocked out if the heroes did it anywhere but on the footy field. Then for the ump’s to engage players in smarta*se comments only to pay a 50 m penalty when they gave it back. Grow up man, the player who takes the mark is not likely to lash out for no reason.
And then the seniors! Oh My God!
Every one that has ever played under him knows he has a sniper in his team and this team has never needed any encouragement to gouge, punch or knee a player in a pack. And what do the umpires do? They stand 40 metres away and think that they are doing a good job by plucking kicks out of no-where and then wonder why players get pe#d of at poor decisions. IE Cloke. He took a mark in the goals at a crucial; time of the game and the umpire plays a blind decision.
All I ask is get up with the game and watch out for snipers, we don’t need them, we don’t want them.
If we want good players to come to our league then let’s reward the player that is going for the ball.
All I ask is be consistent and give us good footy. If you do that then everyone will be on the same page.

Now I don’t usually do this but surely there was a representative of the unmpires panel at the Game on Saturday who walked into the rooms after BOTH grades and simply asked, ‘What the F%$k are you blokes on?’ How hard is it to protect the player going for the football?
The reserves was typical, sniping by The West lesser lights and actively encouraged by umpires who would constantly reward them when the victims retaliated to some crap that would get the offender knocked out if the heroes did it anywhere but on the footy field. Then for the ump’s to engage players in smarta*se comments only to pay a 50 m penalty when they gave it back. Grow up man, the player who takes the mark is not likely to lash out for no reason.
Every one that has ever played under him knows he has a sniper in his team and this team has never needed any encouragement to gouge, punch or knee a player in a pack. And what do the umpires do? They stand 40 metres away and think that they are doing a good job by plucking kicks out of no-where and then wonder why players get pe#d of at poor decisions. IE Cloke. He took a mark in the goals at a crucial; time of the game and the umpire plays a blind decision.
All I ask is get up with the game and watch out for snipers, we don’t need them, we don’t want them.
If we want good players to come to our league then let’s reward the player that is going for the ball.
All I ask is be consistent and give us good footy. If you do that then everyone will be on the same page.

Does anyone know how they assess Kevin Smiths impact on the umpiring group, what KPI's does he have to meet? It seems that the umpiring hasnt changed much over the years with the same dissatisfaction with the men in yellow as there was 10 years ago.
I am not trying to have a go at the Umps, most do a good job, its a job that i would not be able to do, but as the leauge becomes better and as the footy standard lifts so should the umpiring standard.

Does anyone know how they assess Kevin Smiths impact on the umpiring group, what KPI's does he have to meet? It seems that the umpiring hasnt changed much over the years with the same dissatisfaction with the men in yellow as there was 10 years ago.
I am not trying to have a go at the Umps, most do a good job, its a job that i would not be able to do, but as the leauge becomes better and as the footy standard lifts so should the umpiring standard.

Just like afooty coach who develop the 19' s as well, the young umpires should as well, BUT the Umpires in the 19's are woeful with ei ther old blokes umpiring for the money(the one that umpires with his shirt out,how bad is he,) or young and have a smart a... mouth, yes they al; think the game is about them, Kevin Smith should spend his time watching the 19's, but looking at some of his senior umpires, don't think he watches many of them as well

As a snitch, it is my duty to inform you that you are in dire need of opening your other eye...
Also take note, not taking sides but the Cloke mark your referring to was paid, and as a known hot head Cloke was sucked in with a push and shove and reversed the kick.

As a snitch, it is my duty to inform you that you are in dire need of opening your other eye...
Also take note, not taking sides but the Cloke mark your referring to was paid, and as a known hot head Cloke was sucked in with a push and shove and reversed the kick.

So Cloke takes a mark, gets roughed up, and so how come he didn't get the advantage of a 50m penalty? Thats what I don't get.
Anyway, we move on. :D

Just like afooty coach who develop the 19' s as well, the young umpires should as well, BUT the Umpires in the 19's are woeful with ei ther old blokes umpiring for the money(the one that umpires with his shirt out,how bad is he,) or young and have a smart a... mouth, yes they al; think the game is about them, Kevin Smith should spend his time watching the 19's, but looking at some of his senior umpires, don't think he watches many of them as well

Kevin Smith attends 1 or 2 under 19 games EVERY week. He also drops in to see the Youth Girls most weeks.
He then goes to a couple of reserves games.
He then goes to a couple of senior games.

Umpire RETENTION and umpire RECRUITMENT is probably the biggest issue facing community football - and most of that is due to muppets like you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the free character assessment! There were what 800-1000 people there, and the vast majority thought Bundoora were hard done by. I reckon I was reasonably restrained in my wording compared to some of the comments going over the fence Saturday.

I am not trying to have a go at the umpires, just trying to get my head around what proceedures are in place to improve the standard. Like any football club if they are not always trying to improve then they will naturally fall backwards, i dont think the umpiring has gone backwards but i am not sure it has moved forwards either.
JC, interested to hear your opinion given your knowlage on what can be done to get better numbers of umpires into the leauge?

Once again terrible umpiring yesterday!! Is it just west Preston that get sh*t umpires week in week out? Maybe the umpires should stop believing that they are bigger than the game!!
The umpiring wasn't that bad. Couple of poor decisions, but it didn't effect the result of the game

I can assure you the only Macleod people in the room were the coach and his advocate. Coach pleaded guilty (first offence and charge was at the lower end because it was one expletive word), he apologised (which the umpire accepted), got a reprimand, end of story. Did you want a public flogging?

As for the other incident, it is part of an NFL investigation which Macleod is cooperating with. No point speculating any further until the investigator does his job.
What was the result from the NFL investigation?

Kevin Smith attends 1 or 2 under 19 games EVERY week. He also drops in to see the Youth Girls most weeks.
He then goes to a couple of reserves games.
He then goes to a couple of senior games.

Umpire RETENTION and umpire RECRUITMENT is probably the biggest issue facing community football - and most of that is due to muppets like you.

The loyal soldier to the end, JC i never abuse an umpire I visit a different game each week, watch all three games(when there a three) you certainly can't miss Kevin during the 19's with the small crowds, maybe I am just unlucky in the games I watch he isn;t there, but truly the 19's umpires are pretty ordinary....I did see Kevin at a Macleod game last year he stayed for 1/4 of the ones...must take only one quarter to assess them

Ok let's start this weeks ripples, heard that nick stevens & adam jackson will be playing for monty this week against bergers. Anyone out there to confirm or refute.:confused:

The loyal soldier to the end, JC i never abuse an umpire I visit a different game each week, watch all three games(when there a three) you certainly can't miss Kevin during the 19's with the small crowds, maybe I am just unlucky in the games I watch he isn;t there, but truly the 19's umpires are pretty ordinary....I did see Kevin at a Macleod game last year he stayed for 1/4 of the ones...must take only one quarter to assess them

Ok, well explained always happy. BUT a post on bigfooty, like the one u orginally posted, certainly doesn't help the situation.

K.Smith doesn't like to attend Macleod games due to the abuse he has received there on a couple of occasions. Much like I never attended Monty games after I was labelled a 'racist' in mid-2009.

The standard of the umpiring might not be perfect in all divisions, but I can't remember EVER going to a match at any level and not seeing mistakes from players.

ROMPA... the main problem the league faces, in all honesty, is the environment. Our reputation has increased enormously in the past 24-36 months but we still have a long way to go. A parent deciding on which league (NFL or Yarra Juniors) to send their child to (either to play or umpire) will more often than not steer away from us because of the idiots (only a minority of the crowd) that are over the fence.

Kev Smith has done an amazing job building up the numbers of umpires, particularly amongst the younger umpires through his school programs. But that will only take us so far.

The solution is more education from the league and the clubs (PLENTY of education in the case of some junior clubs)... But as Ron Bongetti (former NFL chairman) always says... "you can't have a no ******** rule for spectators)

Ok let's start this weeks ripples, heard that nick stevens & adam jackson will be playing for monty this week against bergers. Anyone out there to confirm or refute.:confused:

Sounds a bit porky pie to me, speaking of which nicko has been scoffing down.Hope they get there best team on the ground so bergers know where they sit after winning or loosing. Also speaking of pies does anyone from Mont know how to make mud Ones? :thumbsu:

Don't know about Jackson but watch out for N. STEVENS v Bundoora :eek:

However after having driven past the ground this morning I must ask 'Whatever happened to all that grass they use to have?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back