Northern Football League Division 2 - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected, Macleod are an easy target after again making it to the 'last dance' and having that question mark hanging over their heads from previous seasons. Lets be honest, it's easy to criticise but most of us would love to be in their position and having a crack at the major prize and what everyone plays for. So full credit to them. (although looking at the weather forecast for Saturday it's not going to be too bad being on the other side of the fence smashing a few cans either!!!)

Credit also to Whittlesea who have made it through after much criticism about the way they do things.

Looking at the game, Whittlesea's advantage is that they are a hard working side who are fairly even across the board, with no real stars that they rely on (especially with Murray out). They rotate heavily off the bench and through half forward, the wings and half back, trying to maintain fresh runners across the ground. I would also play Page predominantly across half back and try to cut off attacking moves to Lynch, Corr and Ewart.

Whittlesea's lack of stars may also be their disdvantage tho, as they come up against a team full of them - Shaw, Cottier, Corr, Bennett (x2), Lynch, Ewart, Andrew, the under rated Lovett, etc.

Will be important for Macleod to get off to a good start and stamp their mark on the contest early and put to bed any question marks that may be in the back of their minds (particularly for those players who have been involved in previous grand finals).

Watching their Semi final, Macleod finished without 2 key players who suffered injuries - Ewart and Andrew. Is there any word on how they have come up as they will be important in deciding the outcome of this game???

If Macleod can stop Nixon and Buhagiar, they will go a long way to drying up Whittlesea's scoring options.

I think if Macleod play to their potential, they have too much class and should be too strong for Whittlesea. For me, Macleod by 42 points.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the loss of your ground during the tragic bushfires. Sorry I didn't make my point clear and was taken out of context.

I deleted the comment.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the loss of your ground during the tragic bushfires. Sorry I didn't make my point clear and was taken out of context.

I deleted the comment.

Thanks Underbelly, I appreciate your comments above, my previous post about the fires, was to answer a question why we had such a slow start to the season, it had nothing to do with why Whittlesea should win and Macleod not.

Good luck Saturday and may the best team win, we will let the players decide that. C U then.

Unfortuneately high winds are predicted (25 degs aswell) for Saturday so that means it will be a blowing a gail at Cramer Street. (Eltham way better venue and surface sheltered from the wind, hosting a Clayton's G/F)

Has this been the windiest season ever?

Anyway, I think Macleod have been the best side all year and deserve to be favourites, saying that Whittlesea are flying at the moment and will make a great contest of the match and it will be very close.

Making use of the wind will be crucial. Lets hope it doesn't wreck the game.

Bit of an upset W/Sea by a point.

Good luck to both sides.

Should be a great game - can't get ther til 4 cos of my sons basketball GF. Hope its still in the balance by then with Macleod about to hit its straps.

Going Going Gone, It appears some at Mernda were none to pleased with the efforts of this years coach and last night he was sacked. He did'nt achieve enough and the club is heading in a differant direction ??? From what I hear that direction is backwards.
In my opinion Smithy is very hard done by. This year was the best I have seen in my short time at Mernda and I hope the new Comittee for 2010 make the right moves.

All the best Nick and let me know where you turn up.
Presentation night should be a Ball :D

Players meeting at Mernda Pub tomorrow night for all the players that want Smitty reinstated. Alot of people on board already.

Whittlesea will get smashed. It will be funnier if they win so that we can hear the Macleod excuses but I just can't see it happening. They printed off some bigfooty stuff last week and stuck it on the wall in the changerooms I noticed. Good to see that they take this forum with the grain of salt its recommended with.

North Yan Yean Tossers...

Players meeting at Mernda Pub tomorrow night for all the players that want Smitty reinstated. Alot of people on board already.

Whittlesea will get smashed. It will be funnier if they win so that we can hear the Macleod excuses but I just can't see it happening. They printed off some bigfooty stuff last week and stuck it on the wall in the changerooms I noticed. Good to see that they take this forum with the grain of salt its recommended with.

North Yan Yean Tossers...

Nothing better than a nice rev up before a game, where it comes from is irrelevant.
Maybe the Mernda 2's should've taken the same path. The way they played was disgusting. Weak, dirty and heartless.
what you doing this weekend?

Nothing better than a nice rev up before a game, where it comes from is irrelevant.
Maybe the Mernda 2's should've taken the same path. The way they played was disgusting. Weak, dirty and heartless.
what you doing this weekend?

We were smashed last weekend by a better team. Simple as that. I'm working all weekend JD, Its the first time in 3 years that Whittlesea won't lose a grand final to Mernda, but unfortunately they will lose one, maybe even 2!

Seems the players arn't happy with the Pres sacking the coach last night.
Hope they can all get together (out going comittee, in comming comittee, players & coaches) and fix it before it's to late.
These sort of things tend to leave a bad taste in everyone mouth, as you know.:thumbsdown:

Was there a reason given or is it the president's final decision in power?Looking from the outside you guys would have to be fairly happy with your finish considering you appointed a new coach and it would've taken a bit of time for him to learn all the players strengths and weaknesses and obviously the players a different style. Hopefully things work out,don't want to be chopping and changing coaches all the time as it can create instability.

With the Division Two, and the Claytons Division Three Grand Finals on this weekend, it is probably appropriate to wheel out the old argument as to what is the best promotion and relegation scheme. The question: Is the current one team up and one team down the best solution for the competitions? I had a friend of mine dig out some information from the rubbish bins outside the NFL offices and he came up with the following.
Since 2000, only four clubs (Lalor, Eltham, Greensborough and Diamond Creek ) stayed up in Division One for more than one season after being promoted. Both Lalor and Eltham have now survived after being promoted and then relegated before their current "success". while Diamond Creek has since fallen back to the lower division. Of the teams relegated in this period, only Lalor (twice) won more than one match in a season with four of the relegated clubs not winning a match. The team coming up to Division One each season really starts on the back foot.

So maybe we should look at the same system that the Amateurs have were there are two teams that move at the end of each season. And the Amateurs history shows that on pretty well all occasions as least one of the teams promoted remains in their new division for more than one season. And the other byproduct of having two teams promoted each season is that they enter the higher division knowing that they are at least on par with another team. And with two teams to be relegated it will also make it more interesting in the latter half of the season for the teams that can't make the finals.

And if the Division Three doesn't go ahead next season, and my money is on that it won't, then maybe another option is to forget about this idea of a third division and move to where we have two divisions of twelve each. Yes, radical, but look at Eastern who have twelve teams in their top division and all clubs over there have embraced it with enthusiasm. Having twelve teams in a division could also mean a final five, giving additional teams a chance to play finals in the two divisions.

So, let's have two divisions of twelve clubs with promotion and relegation of two teams. Now that is a radical but innovative idea !

Unfortuneately high winds are predicted (25 degs aswell) for Saturday so that means it will be a blowing a gail at Cramer Street. (Eltham way better venue and surface sheltered from the wind, hosting a Clayton's G/F)

Has this been the windiest season ever?

Anyway, I think Macleod have been the best side all year and deserve to be favourites, saying that Whittlesea are flying at the moment and will make a great contest of the match and it will be very close.

Making use of the wind will be crucial. Lets hope it doesn't wreck the game.

Bit of an upset W/Sea by a point.

Good luck to both sides.

Well, what all teams play for - the opportunity to have a crack at winning a premiership. And we have a team tomorrow who are stacked with some quality players and have literally dominated the competition for the past four seasons only to come up short on their first three attempts, while the other team is a bit of an enigma stacked with mercenaries from across the league who are coming from a long way back. The teams are one-all going into this match with the end results totally different due to player availability. The big question for Whittlesea is to play or not play Murray - and we all know the sagas of playing injured players. Macleod on the other hand are relatively injury free. Trying to do the matchups, it just comes out in Macleod's favour too many times.
So, no matter which way you look at it, it will be Macleod by around 60 points. And these will be the three premiership teams at 5pm Saturday night !

As seen on the Macleod website - already touting their wins !

As seen on the Macleod website - already touting their wins !
I agreed with so much of your previous post especially the two divisions of 12. Hadn't thought about promoting & relegating two teams but it is worth some thought.
As for Macleod touting wins tomorrow, you must have been on the p1ss. The only thing they have done is congratulate the netball team on their win and Puffer on his coaching award. the rest is just urging supporters to get down to Cramer Street tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agreed with so much of your previous post especially the two divisions of 12. Hadn't thought about promoting & relegating two teams but it is worth some thought.
As for Macleod touting wins tomorrow, you must have been on the p1ss. The only thing they have done is congratulate the netball team on their win and Puffer on his coaching award. the rest is just urging supporters to get down to Cramer Street tomorrow.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...task=DETAIL&articleID=9930613&sectionID=50962

Premiership photos already on the website .......

We were smashed last weekend by a better team. Simple as that. I'm working all weekend JD, Its the first time in 3 years that Whittlesea won't lose a grand final to Mernda, but unfortunately they will lose one, maybe even 2!

Div 1 supporter but read what's going on round the league. You'd have to be the biggest tosser round. What an absolute lot of crud (not doubt based on jealousy) this past posting is.

Could not make the game today, but was texted that Whittlesea won the toss and kicked against an 8 goal wind,is that true and was it a good game. If true about the toss was that the difference ?
Actually it is hard to believe that it is true

Could not make the game today, but was texted that Whittlesea won the toss and kicked against an 8 goal wind,is that true and was it a good game. If true about the toss was that the difference ?
Actually it is hard to believe that it is true
The first qtr Macleod 60, Whittlesea 6....blah blah ..Macleod Won by over 30pts. Congrats Macleod...now the hard work begins...Divvy 1 next year.

3 votes go to the whit coach for chooseing to go against the wind in the first quater, macleod went on to kick 8 goals 12 behinds ... f--k whit lol

Whittlesea obviously had a game plan to kick against the wind and stack 3 loose defenders in their backline. Problem was that Macleod's defenders, especially Wattsy, kicked 2 goals on the run from the centre square.

15 minutes into the 1st quarter, Macleod were 1 goal 5 behinds, so it worked to some effect, but from there Macleod simply put on 7 more goals in the next 20 minutes and had to hope that Whittlesea wouldn't rake in the lead by half time.

They didn't - game over - monkey off the back !

Not sure what happened towards the end of the game with the crowd.
Someone got ko'd and ended up in the Macleod change rooms. Poor end to a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back