NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Boronia didn't have 19s again this year? I cant believe that has happened.

Their winning premiership side did have a lot of young looking players though.
Yep no 19s this year or last and most likely next year but they did poach a few u19s from uftg. you look at their neighbours The Basin they have big numbers in the juniors so maybe it has something to do with how the junior club is run.

Just looked at the annual reports on the website which only go back to 2003, but in that year Donvale were in D1 and did not field colts at all 2003 to 2006

Balwyn came in 2007 and appear to have colts in that year, as do all clubs in D1.
And Donvale is the perfect example of what can happen if you don’t have the 19s and youth coming through.

Yep no 19s this year or last and most likely next year but they did poach a few u19s from uftg. you look at their neighbours The Basin they have big numbers in the juniors so maybe it has something to do with how the junior club is run.
Just to clarify the comment regarding UFTG: Max Brasher joined Boronia to play with his brother Zack; and Luke Flanagan returned to Boronia where he had played 150+ junior games.

The word around is he is very keen to go into coaching. If so I’m sure he has many pretty lucrative offers to be a playing-coach so probably just a question of when.
I can't understand why there are so few playing coaches nowadays. If you have a competent assistant off ground it should work well. The current salary cap conditions are favourable for a playing coach. I had playing coaches throughout my time and they were all good coaches, with great connections to the players and real assets on the ground. I'm not sure if players are unwilling to take on the additional responsibility of coaching or whether clubs just don't want them anymore.

I can't understand why there are so few playing coaches nowadays. If you have a competent assistant off ground it should work well. The current salary cap conditions are favourable for a playing coach. I had playing coaches throughout my time and they were all good coaches, with great connections to the players and real assets on the ground. I'm not sure if players are unwilling to take on the additional responsibility of coaching or whether clubs just don't want them anymore.

I think it changed locally when footy evolved to focus so much on “lines” and “groups” (ie forwards, mids and backs), each of which generally has their own line coach. With multiple assistants like that you need a senior coach to manage them and he can hardly do that from the ground. You could have a senior assistant but really, you’re probably then just splitting the senior gig then.

Worked well for us but agree that the advent of line coaches (and the leadership role that the coach needs to play with them) makes it harder. Depends on how much on-field leadership you have / think you need I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• 289400532_2959713800991308_5911366858913752824_n.jpg
    289400532_2959713800991308_5911366858913752824_n.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 85
He was the giver. Strange appointment i think. Just a little too soon.
Could not agree more. Everyone deserves a fresh start but his appointment isn't at the right time.

With a club like Oakleigh Districts being new and trying to establish a positive image, appointments like this don't help efforts to gain respect across the league. What he did post the event in not taking any accountability and scampering to Oakleigh Districts was probably worse than the act itself.

Last edited:
Could not agree more. Everyone deserves a fresh start but his appointment isn't at the right time.

With a club like Oakleigh Districts being new and trying to establish a positive image, appointments like this don't help efforts to gain respect across the league. What he did post the event in not taking any accountability and scampering to Oakleigh Districts was probably worse than the act itself.
I thought GWH kicked him and the other bloke out

There was a committee + leadership meeting and he quit afterwards.
Well there you go. Except it says Potts had nothing to do with the video lol (When he was the main perp)

Looks like its killed the club though, does anyone know what they plan to do? I know Mazenod in the VAFA who play next door were using their deck at times this season when their own was too cooked.

Waverley Blues also looking at using it while their ground is renovated? Not sure if thats true and current though.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back