Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Finlayson needs to compete more in ruck

Review it hard like a loss but take the points and confidence of the win
Charlie was hurt again in the ruck, we do not wish to lose Jeremy the same way.
Lord and maybe Hayes should come in next week.

How good was Ollie Wines overhead hit of the ball in the middle after Mackenzies kick out of defence, putting the ball into DBJ’s advantage? Smartest thing I’ve ever seen OW do
Yeah, but the coaches nearly wrecked Olleis night forcing him to ruck in defense.

Travis Boak's 8 disposals against the Bombers is the lowest possessions total ever in a game for him.
He had single figures, that is 9 possies, only once in his first ever game of AFL.
Lets crank it up Boaky.
I reckon he didn't have a disposal until the back end of the 2nd quarter.
Also Visentini was on the bench for half the first quarter and half the 2nd quarter.

Wow! The great escape And with that, we become the only team to win coming off the bye against an opponent who played last week.

It wasn't pretty. We looked like all those other loser clubs after a week off, a bit fumbly, a bit reluctant to take the game on. But when it counted, and we had to come from behind in the final term, muscle memory of 11 straight wins and the belief of several close wins kicked in. Finlayson and Burton kicked big outside 50 goals to put us in front, then the brilliant Rozee snared his third and DBJ got one over the back, and we should have been safe. But to Essendons' credit, they didn't give up and their ruck advantage got them back in front. But when Danny marked on 50, I just knew he had the distance, and so it proved. What a boyhood dream, kicking a winning goal after the siren on the MCG!

I was concerned when Lycett didn't front up for the first bounce, and it took an inordinate amount of time for Visentini to get ready and enter the fray. All night, we looked like struggling at clearances because of the ruck situation, but i think we won centre clearances and pretty much drew even in overall stoppages so it wasn't too decisive. We really should have gapped the Bombers in the first, but 5 or 6 consecutive behinds kept them interested, and they had periods where the dominated us and we only just held firm. The umpires did their best to ignore any infraction by Bombers in front of goal, and it galls me that we have to put up with this s**t EVERY DAMN WEEK! But the players used to it now; they almost expect it, and get on with the game.

Powell-Pepper - Brutal. Straight-lines the ball, and woe betide any opponent in his way. Could have made more of his chances, but keeps the ball in our area with extreme pressure, and adds another big body in front half stoppages. 7/10

Burton - Crucial goal from range in the last. Just has dropped off in his defensive efforts, and was one of the main culprits at letting Bombers players get loose in their F50, but overall, he -gave good rebound and a calm head down back when required. 6/10

Marshall - Quiet night, well held by Ridley and conditions made it tough. Seemed to be one of the players who was suffering bye-blues, kept getting in Dixon's way and dragging Ridley across with him. Needs to get back to being a dangerous option and separating the oppositions key defenders. 4/10

Houston - Matchwinner! Led us in disposals, showed great hands in slippery conditions all night, then sets up perfectly inside the final minute and capitalised on a panic dump kick to put himself in the position to be the hero. He doesn't play tight on anyone down back, but floats up to be the extra man around stoppages who gets the ball to pump it forward with his deadly boot. Can do some dumb things at times, like giving away obvious 50m penalties, and that is the only reason that he doesn't score a rare 10. 9/10

Farrell - Getting better with each passing week, and so damaging when he gets it, too. It must be easy to be precise with long kicks when so little effort goes into the contact point! But what impressed me most tonight was his defensive efforts; he was strong and brave in marking contests and got his knees dirty at ground level. 8/10

Butters - Just superb, and we have been conditioned that this bloke makes the exceptional look routine. The clean hands in the wet, the vision to use the ball with precision and penetration, the toughness to get inside and take the hits and the attitude that he will never be beaten have carried us a long way this season, and is rubbing off onto his team-mates. Should get more coaches votes this week, and is tracking beautifully. 9/10

Boak - Only 8 disposals, and only two of them were kicks. Just couldn't get his hands on it, and seemed to be playing forward of the contest a lot. Should have got a free kick 15m out for being decapitated in the 3rd term, but not impactful in any way otherwise. 3/10

Finlayson - Jezza is just about my favourite player now, he takes on so much responsibility to fill holes in the team makeup, never sulks and takes his opportunity to bang through the goal in the last term that gave us belief. He battles manfully in ruck, and got a couple of clearances when in there, but is best suited as the wide-ranging tall forward. However, tonight he had to play a role, and he is so consistent and must be admired. 8/10

McKenzie - Great game, even though Langford got a couple of goals on him. It's gotta be hard to play full back, if your opponent gets only a couple of chances but takes every one of them. However, he kept the structure of the backline functioning, took some great intercept marks when the game was on the line and cleared the zone well with his kicks. 7/10

Bergman - A bit quiet, only 7 touches, but he seems to be getting regarded as a KPD lately, which doesn't really allow him to use his strengths of intercept marking and rebounding. Can be a better contributor, but tonight required a different mindset, and he carried it out well. 5/10

Wines - Very quiet, and beyond the point where his injury in the pre-season can be used as an excuse. Conditions were made for him, and he went missing - only 13 touches. The good news is that he is bound to improve, but it is worrying that he is no longer the first player to go into contests and that he is so indecisive when he gets the ball outside. 3/10

Horne-Francis - Invisible in the first half, JHF improved after the break, in conditions he thrives in, and was impactful with his few disposals. Probably got the bye-blues, but also may be struggling with the demands of a season with lots of midfield time. 4/10

Rozee - Brilliant, easily our best before the rain came, and continued to a lesser degree after the break. Three goals in a low-scoring game from a midfielder is critical contribution, but he also won centre clearances, cleared stoppages and drove the ball inside 50. Only trailed Butters for metres gained, which is an important stat on a wet night. 9/10

Aliir - Just superb, beat Peter Wright pointless, and took critical intercept marks all night, but lifted himself even higher when the gamne was on the line. Having a great year, and is better in one-on-one contests this season than he has been in the past. His reading of the ball, and positioning himself in the drop zone, is amongst the best in the game. 8/10

Dixon - Looks hobbled, and has lost mobility and any nimbleness he had. Really needs some weeks off, as his presence is still compelling, but if he doesn't mark he becomes a liability at ground level, the odd big tackle notwithstanding. Needs to make the most of the chances that he gets, because he seems to be a fading force. 4/10

Williams - Getting better and better. Positioned himself perfectly behind the ball, took some terrific marks and played tough defence when needed. His kicking was a bit off, I reckon he shinned at least 3 that led to Essendon scores, but it didn't affect his confidence and he was influential in the result. 7/10

Bonner - Plays outside way too much, his focus is on being a receiver, and let's face it - he's not a good contest player anyway. When he got it tonight, he used in constructively, but his lack of urgency and inability to defend is starting to grate on me, and is the reason that he is a fringe player. 5/10

Drew - Couldn't contain Merrett, but stayed with the Bomber skipper all night. He does his bit when he gets it, but I thought that he failed in the task assigned to him tonight. 4/10

Byrne-Jones - A bit obscure tonight, he usually has a role in the forward line but I couldn't see what it was. Got out the back to score an important goal in the last term, but otherwise rarely seen to get involved. 4/10

Burgoyne - On as the sub, probably a little too late to make any significant impact, but he didn't look any fresher than players who were there from the start. 2/10

Visentini - Look, it's hard to make an impact when you are told to get ready a minute before the first bounce, and then take your place on the bench 10 minutes into a game. And it's unfair to criticise him for not having any impact at all. How he would wish to have a debut where he gets a guernsey presentation, gets his family in the rooms and can prepare properly. But he must be thrilled with the way the game ended. Congratulations on your debut, young man - I hope it's your worst game ever! 1/10

McEntee - Contributed pressure in the forward line, but little else. Bye-blues? 2/10

Narkle - Not as impressive as his Power debut, but still looks a class above the other options among the 20th-25th ranked players in the playing group. I thought he had some chances to impact, but wasted them, and he can't afford to do that or he will lose his spot. 2/10

So 12 in a row, and going for THIRTEEN against a pathetic (but still dangerous) Suns outfit next Saturday night, we have players who should be better for getting back into it, and players who must be looking over their shoulders to see where the next big selection statement will target.
Love your work !!!

Bonner cruises around not wanting to get involved in defensive pressure when that is clearly something we are trying to make a feature in our game.

In particular, when the opposition overlaps, our players are sprinting off their man to pressure the ball (next man covers, and so on). Multiple times in defensive 50 last night Bonner wouldn’t leave first gear to do this.

Maybe he has specific instructions not to, but that would be odd, because it’s one of those all-in strategies where the weak link in the chain messes it all up. In basketball terms, he’s not making his help rotation.
This. He half presses up then gets caught in between and has zero impact on the contest. And he did it often enough to think he didn't want to have to impact the contest.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t work this out. If one of my lads made it onto a list & they were travelling with the team to our hometown we’d already be going to the game, not settling in front of the telly whilst our son was in town.

Different strokes I guess?
He was one of travelling emergency where the plan was to rest Lycett next week.
He had told his folks the Visentini familiy may have to come to Adealide next week as he would debut against the Gold Coast.

With footy bloodlines, Dad is a physiotherapist and reputable name at Old Xaverians Football Club providing a source of knowledge and connection for Dante.
Hi mum, Angela, has the Richmond Football Club in her bloodline, as the daughter of Ian Hayden, who played 30 games for the Tigers in the early 1960s.

They have other kids playing in Melbourne; older sister, Siena, won the VAFA Division one Best and Fairest in 2019 as playing in the ruck for Old Brighton.
His younger brother Vigo 203 cms 97KGsi s an ex-volley baller in the Sandringham Dragons’ under 18’s program (where Ollie Lord also comes from).

And he is in this year draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dante had a bit of a mare through no fault of his own, but one moment that was pleasing to see was when Zak was involved in a bit of push and shove (who would believe it?) Dante was the first one in there throwing Essendon players aside. A 20 year old, baby-faced ruckman who had to rush into the game from the coaches box.

He's a good kid, a talented ruckman and plays the game the way we want a big man to play. He'll come good.
Yes, good on ya Dante, early days in what may be a long career.

Butters was targetted by Hobbs last night.
If you watch the replay, look for Hobbs elbow hitting Butter on the ground (after the whistle has blown for the many ball ups).

burton needs a spell but he’ll be fine

bonner will either do something really good or he’ll cost us a goal.
Burton has already been dropped, he is now our weakest defender.
Bonner will go when we get some troops back: 'X' kicked a brace yesterday, but was hardly sighted in the last.

Injuries aside, he needs another two or three games in the SANFL

It was the 57th goal after the siren in AFL/VFL history- the 4th by a Port player: Burgoyne, Poulton, Gray, Houston.

Far more common in recent times, maybe because of the time clock.

We have had at least two misses also- Daniel Motlop, Westhoff.

I can’t remember Port ever having a kick after the siren in the sanfl- can anyone?
On Anzac Day in 1982 we scored a goal after the final siren to draw the game against Glenelg after we had given up a six goal lead at half time.

I can't remember who kicked it but I do remember it came from a pretty lucky free kick.

Somewhere on youtube there is video of it. After the goal goes through, there is a shot of Glenelg coach John Halbert on the boundary line shaking his head and in the background there is the 18 year old version of me jumping around, not for joy, but out of relief we didn't lose.

We lost a game to South at Adelaide Oval in 1984 on a goal after the siren after an errant short pass from Russell Ebert of all people.

They are the only two I can remember for Port in the SANFL. There was also a goal that Graham Cornes kicked after the siren in 1977 at the parade to win a game for Glenelg against Norwood. If I remember correctly, that game came the week after Port had beaten Norwood by 2 points in front of 23,000 people at Alberton Oval.

I can’t remember Port ever having a kick after the siren in the sanfl- can anyone?
Peter Mead in the 65 (?) Prelim to get us in the grand final. Famous for our feral supporters jumping the fence and crowding the players, stopping the defenders from being able to get a run at the ball and touching it before crossing the line (lol). Peter Mead's golden ball was on display in the club for years, not sure if it's in the museum now.

Ford Fairlane 1954 might have been amongst the culprits in the goal square

On Anzac Day in 1982 we scored a goal after the final siren to draw the game against Glenelg after we had given up a six goal lead at half time.

I can't remember who kicked it but I do remember it came from a pretty lucky free kick.

Somewhere on youtube there is video of it. After the goal goes through, there is a shot of Glenelg coach John Halbert on the boundary line shaking his head and in the background there is the 18 year old version of me jumping around, not for joy, but out of relief we didn't lose.

We lost a game to South at Adelaide Oval in 1984 on a goal after the siren after an errant short pass from Russell Ebert of all people.
Andy Porplycia I reckon in 1982

I cried after the Ebert loss to South - it felt like God had been made mortal

They are the only two I can remember for Port in the SANFL. There was also a goal that Graham Cornes kicked after the siren in 1977 at the parade to win a game for Glenelg against Norwood. If I remember correctly, that game came the week after Port had beaten Norwood by 2 points in front of 23,000 people at Alberton Oval.

Around 11.30 here. Andy Porplycia given a phantom holding the ball free, probably to make up for the trip the ump missed in the play before.

Peter Mead in the 65 (?) Prelim to get us in the grand final. Famous for our feral supporters jumping the fence and crowding the players, stopping the defenders from being able to get a run at the ball and touching it before crossing the line (lol). Peter Mead's golden ball was on display in the club for years, not sure if it's in the museum now.

Ford Fairlane 1954 might have been amongst the culprits in the goal square

I would have been too small then.

I get the feeling it was Bruce Abernethy at footy park.
Kicked the goal at the west lakes end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Nowaynowaynowaynoway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back