NRL Grand Final out-rates the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Q, I did read it somewhere, whilst looking for that source I did come across something that contradicts what I said, on the OzTam website no less:eek: I will edit my post.

This is just a lesson in why it's important to go straight to the source.

booya..gotcha :p

No, that's not right. People watching GO weren't counted in the ratings for the NRL GF. What happens is that the ratings for 9 and GO are added together to give the network ratings for the night. But when it comes to ratings for individual programs, they are separate.

which thread is that in?

If his numbers are correct then crikey has it completely wrong. AFL got quite a bit more than the NRL's 3.49m not counting regional WA/SA/NT. The link to the pdf if broken too. But then again, crikey does say only 70,000 watched the AFL GF in regional areas (lol)
click on the arrow right of Dan26's name in the quote.

the Oztam PDF seems alright to me
the AGB Neilson is broken
here is the right one
http://www.agbnielsen.net/Uploads/Australia/e2_20090920.pdf

Who cares anyway. Let's just say that they both rated their socks off.

Only disappointing thing is that this year, neither the AFL grand final, nor the NRL grand final managed to outrate the grand final of a cooking show!!! :rolleyes:

Who cares anyway. Let's just say that they both rated their socks off.

Only disappointing thing is that this year, neither the AFL grand final, nor the NRL grand final managed to outrate the grand final of a cooking show!!! :rolleyes:

Very true and very sad. On the regionals double counting, oztam have written something along the lines of regional and city overlap being counted as spill and then taken out. So basically there is no double counting.

Very true and very sad. On the regionals double counting, oztam have written something along the lines of regional and city overlap being counted as spill and then taken out. So basically there is no double counting.
I know regionals never counted spill, But it say's on the Think TV ratings where they added the two together that the Metro's included spill.

which thread is that in?

If his numbers are correct then crikey has it completely wrong. AFL got quite a bit more than the NRL's 3.49m not counting regional WA/SA/NT. The link to the pdf if broken too. But then again, crikey does say only 70,000 watched the AFL GF in regional areas (lol)

quite clearly, that was a typo

but it's already been taken into consideration in the final figure

I know regionals never counted spill, But it say's on the Think TV ratings where they added the two together that the Metro's included spill.

Looks like Metro's include spill and the regionals don't which means there is no double counting. If they both counted spill then there is trouble. If they both exclude spill then there is a forgotten group of people.
I posted this on the other thread.
This is from oztam: OzTAM reports viewing to the metropolitan free-to-air network’s broadcast in the metropolitan area defined by the maps/ postcodes under the above link. All viewing to regional free-to-air broadcast in the metropolitan area is also captured; however it is reported by OzTAM under ‘SPILL’.

Looks like Metro's include spill and the regionals don't which means there is no double counting. If they both counted spill then there is trouble. If they both exclude spill then there is a forgotten group of people.
I posted this on the other thread.
This is from oztam: OzTAM reports viewing to the metropolitan free-to-air network’s broadcast in the metropolitan area defined by the maps/ postcodes under the above link. All viewing to regional free-to-air broadcast in the metropolitan area is also captured; however it is reported by OzTAM under ‘SPILL’.
Regional Spill and Metro spill are not the same areas, all stations have defined boundries to broadcast. if the Metro broadcaster encroches over their boundary than that is considered the Regional area and therefore spill, double counting does occur, just not on the part of AGB Nielson

It's interesting to note Free TV use to say on it's releases.

Please note; metro and regional data cannot be combined to provide a national estimate.
But than realised it wasn't in it's interest to do so, and started doing it themselves

Please note; metro and regional data cannot be combined to provide a national estimate.
But than realised it wasn't in it's interest to do so, and started doing it themselves

what do you mean by that? freetv don't add up metro plus regional that I can see. They do provide both figures separately.

Cheers for the link though... also interesting that 9 gets absolutely murdered these days in the ratings. That was unimaginable 10 years ago. Their top show is two and a half men. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 million ppl in Australia. Only a few thousand boxes or whatever they are that count the numbers watching? Great system. Who care anyway.

Was reading the Brisbane Broncos Telegraph the other day and a guy wrote in saying the Storm have been a failure in Melbourne.

Felt like writing in saying hey d*ckhead, more watch the NRL GF in Melbourne then in Brisbane.

I mean, geez, QLD doesnt even have daylight savings. And every pub still has a place to tie up horses. Backward state...

The AFL GF out-rated the NRL GF in the 5 capital city market where AFL has teams. Nuff said.

AFL: Melb v Melb teams
NRL: Melb v Syd teams

Considering the AFL GF with a Sydney team acheived the highest ratings for any Grand Final ever sets the benchmark - the NRL with a Melbourne team are well short.

NRL captures the casual viewers in Melb with a 5pm Sunday timeslot against 2:30pm Sat arvo in Sydney/Brisbane. Note how poor the NRL ratings were for perth, the game would have started mid afteroon in a non traditional area.

Regionals dont include WA and SA - incorrect not to include prime AFL heartlands that would be like excluding half of regional QLD from NRL numbers.

Of course the GF is just one game, not the whole season and this where the AFL gets well ahead with its 3 hour game and far greater cumulative free to air audience.

The AFL GF out-rated the NRL GF in the 5 capital city market where AFL has teams. Nuff said.

AFL: Melb v Melb teams
NRL: Melb v Syd teams

Considering the AFL GF with a Sydney team acheived the highest ratings for any Grand Final ever sets the benchmark - the NRL with a Melbourne team are well short.

NRL captures the casual viewers in Melb with a 5pm Sunday timeslot against 2:30pm Sat arvo in Sydney/Brisbane. Note how poor the NRL ratings were for perth, the game would have started mid afteroon in a non traditional area.

Regionals dont include WA and SA - incorrect not to include prime AFL heartlands that would be like excluding half of regional QLD from NRL numbers.

Of course the GF is just one game, not the whole season and this where the AFL gets well ahead with its 3 hour game and far greater cumulative free to air audience.

blah blah blah..

Bitter are we?

NSW/QLD Regional Areas - FOUR MILLION
SA/WA Regional Areas - Approx Five hundred thousand

Now say with me, NSW/QLD Regionals are EIGHT times the size of SA/WA.

Lets put it slightly differently, there are about the same amount of people in regional NSW/QLD and in SA and WA in TOTAL.

Now, why do you think that NRL fans are insistent on Regional figures? The AFL beat the NRL in metro ratings (just :) - However in the Regional Areas FAR MORE watched the NRL than AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL Grand Final out-rates the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back