NRL Grand Final out-rates the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Chook Norris

Debutant
Apr 28, 2009
Inner West Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The NRL Grand Final won by the Melbourne Storm has out-rated the AFL Grand Final. It was the second time in three years the NRL Grand Final has out-rated the AFL game, thanks to the presence (and eventual victory) of the Melbourne Storm in the final match of the season.
The Storm won the match played in Sydney and watched by 3.490 million people across all TV markets on the Nine Network. In Australia: 2.46 million viewers watched in the five metro markets, with 1.119 million on average watching Sydney, 650,000 in Melbourne and 535,000 watched Brisbane.
A further 1.080 million watched in regional Australia. In contrast 3.47 million people watched the AFL Grand Final in all markets: 2.704 million people watched the AFL Grand Final on the Ten Network in the five metro markets.
More than 1.42 million people watched in Melbourne, with the regional audience around the country adding a further 70,000 to the audience. In terms of the combined figure, that was better than the 3.135 million who watched the AFL match across the country last year and 3.329 million who watched in 2007.
The NRL Grand Final was the second highest in the current system of TV ratings, just behind the 3.748 million (2.422 million in the five metro markets) who watched the Storm win its second Grand Final in 2007. It’s now clear from the final series since 2005 in both codes that to get big national audiences, both codes need the presence of one out of Sydney/Melbourne Club.
The AFL’s biggest audiences were in 2005 and 2006 for the epic Sydney Swans/West Coast Eagles matches, one once by each club. The Storm have featured in the two best-viewed NRL Grand Finals, making it perhaps the best marketing prospect in Rugby League for sponsors.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/10/05/nrl-grand-final-out-rates-the-afl/

Both the ARL and News and have agreements with channel 9 so secret..
I doubt coverage will improve until a commission takes over

there is a lot of double counting between the regional and Oztam figures considering the Oztam figures go well beyond the metropolitan boundaries, and are also included in the 'regional' figures.

Examples of areas which are counted twice are the Gold Coast, Central Coast, Woolongong, Geelong etc.

Also WA, SA and NT are not counted in the regional numbers.

there is a lot of double counting considering the Oztam figures go well beyond the metropolitan boundaries, and are also included in the 'regional' figures.

Examples of areas which are counted twice are the Gold Coast, Central Coast, Woolongong, Geelong etc.

So the AFL figures are wrong too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Geelong considered a part of Melbourne?

If Geelong is regional, I find it hard to believe 70,000 regionals as accurate
We get Melbourne TV stations, so Geelong would be counted in the Melbourne metro area I reckon.

Certainly not huge ratings in Perth - around 70,000. These are the approximate average ratings for each city:

Sydney 1,160,000
Melbourne 680,000
Brisbane 560,000
Perth 70,000
Adelaide 50,000

We get Melbourne TV stations, so Geelong would be counted in the Melbourne metro area I reckon.

Ahhh fair enough. So guessing it would work as watching Melbourne C9 = Melbourne figures, watching WIN = Regionals

Guess that would be similar to the GC were people make claims of "Double counting". If watching Brisbane C9 you'd be in the Brissie numbers, if watching the regional carrier in the regionals

From another thread

Not sure about the accuracy of the figures posted in that article.

The correct figures from the official channels are:

Syd - 330L
Melb - 1501K
Bris - 278K
Adel - 426
Perth - 343
Total - 2,878,000
http://www.oztam.com.au/documents/2009/E_20090920.pdf

And the regionals were

NNSW - 161
SNSW - 127
R Qld - 153
R Vic - 383
Tas - 145
Total - 969,000
http://www.agbnielsen.net/uploads/au...2_20090920.pdf

Grand Total 3,847,000

Plus an estimated 300,000 in the other catchments, as shown in my earlier posts. Regional WA, and several others which all need to be included.

Not sure about the breakdown of the regionals for the NRL Grand Final. It's a rare thing for the NRL GF to outrate the AFL Grand Final, anyway. For this rare event to happen, it requires two Victorian teams to be playing in the AFL and two teams from different cities to be playing in the NRL.

I would go by the official sources, Oztam and AGB Nielson. the others are just preliminary results based on the times the shows said it would broadcast not exactly when it was broadcast.

Interesting to note that those watching Channel GO! at the time are added to the Channel 9 figures further inflating their numbers

??

where is that said?

nine and go are totally overall for nine, but go is a separate channel

??

where is that said?

nine and go are totally overall for nine, but go is a separate channel

Good Q, I did read it somewhere, whilst looking for that source I did come across something that contradicts what I said, on the OzTam website no less:eek: I will edit my post.

This is just a lesson in why it's important to go straight to the source.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL Grand Final out-rates the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back