NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

Compare Aussie Rules vs Rugby League presence in Australia...
Looks like its only going one way.

The gap is widening. AFL is making steady progress into Sydney and Brisbane.

RL is making NO progress in the Southern states, and is going backwards in Brisbane and Sydney!

Originally posted by AuckMel
For sure. This could be a record.

A record for RL is normally a VERY small number.

Originally posted by MightyHawks

RL is making NO progress in the Southern states, and is going backwards in Brisbane and Sydney!

No surpise RL has made no further advancement here. Your comment pretty much sums up the problems the NRL face, and lets face it, trying to change the ways of people like yourself are pointless. Better just to be happy with what they've got and get on with it.

As for the last part of your statement, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Unlike this thread huh?

I guess you have to clutch at straws, when you consider that out of the 2 sports that are being mentioned here, which one has the dubious reputation of having more players and officals at the game, than supporters in the stands; and this only happened about 5 years ago.

Originally posted by Andrew Mc
Do you ever post anything that is a fact?

A RL supporter talking about facts;

biggest crowds,
biggest average atendance;
biggest sponsership;
biggest advertising;
biggest junior membership
bigest membership;
bigest tv coverage Australia wide,
bigest internet site, thats why we havr RL supporters on here, wimpering for AFL supporters to please, please,please, follow RL.

RL is the dead sport walking.

Originally posted by billy big ears
How pathetic! both RL Prelim Finals at the 40,000 Aussie Stadium wot too scared to hold them at the 85,000 Telstra Stadium?
What a massive support RL has in Sydney LOL

Just before i go, a big ROFLMAO at you, billy.

Did you forget the question? LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How pathetic! both RL Prelim Finals at the 40,000 Aussie Stadium wot too scared to hold them at the 85,000 Telstra Stadium?
What a massive support RL has in Sydney LOL

Obviously not since tomorrows prelim final is at 85, 000 telstra stadium. In any case I think most rugby league supporters would prefer to go to the 40, 000 Aussie stadium as it's a far better venue given the nature of our game.

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
what did it rate in Sydney?

Tool

Cheers,
Moffo

Sorry I was talking about a national game.

The 1/2 hour delay on tv didn't help.

Maybe you can explain the 400,000 that watched the PA v SYD game in Sydney? That game was against and beat a Panthers RL game.

I have nothing against RL but the facts suggest the AFL is a long way ahead of the NRL.

http://www.smh.com.au/media/2003/07/25/1059084209763.html

AFL NRL
Total revenue 377m 189m
Club sponsorship income 90m 50m

The AFL also has over 460,000 paid members of clubs.

If you want to argue the fact that RL in Sydney is far more popular than the AFL then you wont get an argument out of me. But on a national scale the AFL is the undoubted number 1 sport.

Cheers.

Wrong.

Once again for the extremely dumb, the 10,000 tickets were paid for.

Yep I'm really dumb.

New Zealanders with passports could pick up 10,000 tickets for no cost ie. FREE but I cannot call them freebies.

I was under the impression that when purchasers (RL supporters) got something for nothing (tickets) the conventional wisdom is too call them freebies. :rolleyes:

If you think you can make a distinction between the NRL giving away tickets and a NZ businessman buying tickets and giving them away then you need to rethink your point of view.

A free ticket is a free ticket, the way in which they were acquired is totally irrelevant.

Cheers.

Just before i go, a big ROFLMAO at you, billy.

Did you forget the question? LOL.

HO HO HO! 41,000 for a Prelim Final with two Sydney teams as I said what a pathetic performance in a city of 4 million!
Go back to counting sheep idiot!and leave us Australians to enjoy our National Game not some bastardised imported one.

HO HO HO! 41,000 for a Prelim Final with two Sydney teams as I said what a pathetic performance in a city of 4 million!
Go back to counting sheep idiot!and leave us Australians to enjoy our National Game not some bastardised imported one.

wait a minute, aussie rules is just a bastardised version of gaelic footy, so dont go thinking that afl is an 'aussie' sport .

It was a capacity crowd. if played at Stadium Australia it would've got 60-70,000, the game sold out a couple of days in advance

And AFL is not the national game. Build a bridge and get over it

Cheers,
Moffo

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
It was a capacity crowd. if played at Stadium Australia it would've got 60-70,000, the game sold out a couple of days in advance

And AFL is not the national game. Build a bridge and get over it

Cheers,
Moffo

If they would have got a crowd of 60-70000 like you said , they WOULD have played the game at stadium Australia.

AFL not the national game? We have teams in all states bar one, and there is a big push on to get a side in Tassie.

You have teams in 3 states, but not in WA,SA, or Tassie. RL is a dying eastern seaboard game, followed by a reducing band of supporters.

Enjoy the mediocre sport while you can.

Originally posted by 1jasonoz
If they would have got a crowd of 60-70000 like you said , they WOULD have played the game at stadium Australia.

AFL not the national game? We have teams in all states bar one, and there is a big push on to get a side in Tassie.

You have teams in 3 states, but not in WA,SA, or Tassie. RL is a dying eastern seaboard game, followed by a reducing band of supporters.

Enjoy the mediocre sport while you can.

Absolute bulltish Mate! RL got only 43,000 today to Telstra and thats with 25,000 Free giveaway tickets.What adisgrace in a city of 4 million couldnt even get the stadium 1/2 full what a joke. Bring on the real Rugby and we might see some decent crowds in Sydney that is apart from what the Swans get!

Originally posted by Mark Rudd

"On Pay??? Because the alternatives on Pay are so extensive.. lets watch the labrador shows, or for real excitement some snooker."

Dont knock the labrador shows until you try one.

"Record crowds??, more people turned up to watch Collingwood train last week, than to most NRL matches."

Most Sydney clubs play in small surburban grounds that have a better atmosphere than the big stadiums do. And 90%+ of a home crowd of 20-25,000 is from the one club. Sydney people dont travel in numbers,(who would in Sydneys awful traffic?) but if they did, then 40-50,000 would attend a big game. Its all relative. Remeber that if 10,000 dont turn up to a 50,000 expected crowd of AFL, you still get 40,000. If 10 dont turn up to a game of RL that could attract 20,000, well, it looks worse than it really is.

Mate your now making excuses, AFL clubs also used to play at suburban grounds..the game grew up. If supporters cant be stuffed travelling from one suburb to the next then it is rather indicative of the lack of passion. I regularly travel from state to state to watch my side. Your sport in passionatless.

Look what happened when the AFL included more states into their Origin series. A distaster. Anyway, 180,000+ have turned out for RL Origins in Melbourne. I dont know any friends of mine that are AFL fans that DONT watch it.

Yes, and that was many years ago, and the NRL haven't had the balls to schedule one again. Obviously you dont know many AFL fans,all my mates couldn't give a stuff as to who wins... its irrelevant.

In the states where it was live, the NRL rated higher. And I've seen figures that show if you include regional areas, the NRL competed very well(higher I read in an article). Nearly 4 million.

Rubbish

The Oztam figures conclusively show that the AFL grand final convincingly outrated the NRL grand final. You can try and twist the figures all you like it still doesn't hide the fact that the NRL was well beaten last year and will be beaten again this year.

Yes your right. But your forgetting one thing. Combine the WHOLE population of QLD/NSW together and see the difference in numbers to VIC/SA/WA (states that are considered AFL or NRL states). A few more million people that watch RL outside of the capital cities.

Again your attempting to manipulate figures, only two states watch NRL, the rest of Australia watch the AFL. AFL is also growing in Brisbane and Sydney, whilst the NRL is making no progress in the southern states.

Most? Try less than half. And if you include Union, well, AFL is well behind. Sorry.

Points for creativity, but unfortunately you're deluding yourself. In a latest report the AFL grand final was ranked way ahead of the NRL, and AFL is played by more people than NRL. Commercially, attendance wise, player talent wise the AFL is way ahead of NRL.

Union??? Mate you are struggling, if you try throw in another sport to support your argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back