NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

Read a great article yesterday and thought some of you may find it interesting so I'll share it with you.

Title: Ode to the fair weather bridage
By: Adam Hawse
The Sunday Telegraph , 28-09-2003 , Ed: 1 - State , Pg: 065 , 235 words , SPORT
THEY know who they are. Right now they're trawling the sports pages looking for a team on a winning streak. I'm talking about the bandwagon boys. The ones who wouldn't know a Sherrin from a Steeden, but sure know what sounds more impressive to their friends.
Last week genuine Swans fans found themselves lumped next to these blow-ins, who usually begin with, "yes, I've been a Swans supporter since 1994".
They think the AFL Record is a compilation of Eddie McGuire's favourite hits.
There are a lot of these types in Sydney and a few of them were kind enough to bag me for having the audacity to defend Rugby League last weekend in the face of an avalanche of Swans hype.
One gentleman wrote: "As far as I can tell, the Rugby League is a in pot competition whose most notable recent battles have been fought off field in court cases."
Another said he liked Swans games because he didn't have pies dripped on his shirt.
Even though the AFL is over for another year, there is still time for these people to check the paper and find a team attracting the headlines.
Maybe it's Penrith this week fellas?
And I sincerely hope they've brushed up on their basketball lingo so they don't make fools of themselves at the Entertainment Centre this year should the Sydney Kings look like making it consecutive titles.

Originally posted by noodnuts
wait a minute, aussie rules is just a bastardised version of gaelic footy, so dont go thinking that afl is an 'aussie' sport .
Australian Football has nothing to do with Gaelic football and evolved entirely by itself as a way of keeping crickerters fit in winter its founder Thomas Wills had never even been to Ireland.
Study your history before you make a FOOL of yourself on this forum again.

Originally posted by billy big ears
Australian Football has nothing to do with Gaelic football and evolved entirely by itself as a way of keeping crickerters fit in winter its founder Thomas Wills had never even been to Ireland.
Im surprised by the amount of people who still think the origins of Australian football are in Gaelic football. Australian football started as a variation on the various football games as played in the English Public (private) schools during the 1850s. The mentioned Thomas Wills, a former student at Rugby School in the Midlands, chaired a meeting on 17 May 1859 in Melbourne to set the first ten rules of Australian football. Three of the ten original Australian rules of 1859 were taken from Rugby.

You can probably tell from my previous posts on these forums that I am a fan of both AFL and NRL. Perhaps spending long periods in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney has helped. I was reading an article and was thinking that it sums up what I think and a lot about what people are trying to say on this topic.
It starts out talking about the AFL tribunal’s decision over Anthony Roccas suspension and at the end it talks about Rocca and Holland and compares them with some of the NRL judiciary’s rulings. But it is this part in the middle which I found relevant and which I have posted here.

Extract from:
Title: Cry-baby Pies off their Rocca, and the AFL tribunal has lost its credibility
By: Cameron Bell
The Sunday Telegraph , 28-09-2003 , Ed: 1 - State , Pg: 065 ,SPORT

I’d like to thank the Petes, Bobs and Silvios of the world who last week accused me of “jumping ship and becoming an AFL man”.
The messages have flooded in.
However, I maintain that last week there was only one place to be as far as big sporting events go in Sydney – watching the Swans try to win their way to the grand final.
Ironically, the League clash between two out-of-town teams which promised little turned into one of the best finals games in recent years.
But that can happen in Rugby League. That’s why it’s known as the greatest game of all.
And why I was listening to 2GB’s coverage of the League from the AFL press box – getting the best of both worlds.
Why do you have to be a “League” or “AFL” person? You can maintain your passion and love of League above all else, but there’s nothing wrong with supporting another code – make that team – if you are a genuine sports fan.
The Swans are Sydney’s team and they play with heart, passion and spirit. We should be getting behind them. And Sydney has.
Which is why, on occasions like last week, it is hard not to be drawn to the ground to soak up the atmosphere with 70,000 fans and cheer the Swans on.
Last night there was again one game all worth watching in Sydney and it promised to dish up more than anything the AFL could in this town.
In terms of a real, blood-pumping grudge match fought to the death, you couldn’t go past the Dogs and Roosters.
Now that’s a clash you would cop a Rocca elbow to see.
Melbourne claims to be the sporting capital of the country, but we are prepared to embrace the Swans, appreciate the skills of the AFL and realise the game has a place in Sydney.
Melbournians couldn’t give a toss about League and treat it with contempt.
Almost every time a League player triggers controversy in the game – and it hasn’t happened much lately – the AFL’s hierarchy is quick to earn some brownie points by declaring the League has got things wrong.
Well in the past month, the AFL has got it dreadfully wrong with two Collingwood players.

Originally posted by melbournestorm
You can probably tell from my previous posts on these forums that I am a fan of both AFL and NRL. Melbourne claims to be the sporting capital of the country, but we are prepared to embrace the Swans, appreciate the skills of the AFL and realise the game has a place in Sydney.
Melbournians couldn’t give a toss about League and treat it with contempt.
Almost every time a League player triggers controversy in the game – and it hasn’t happened much lately – the AFL’s hierarchy is quick to earn some brownie points by declaring the League has got things wrong.
Well in the past month, the AFL has got it dreadfully wrong with two Collingwood players.

You are not a fan of AFL, and this line thats been coming out of Syd and Brisbane that "we were prepared to embrase the Lions/swans" is total and utter crap. Only after 20 years and a super-league war did you even look at the game, let alone report on it.

Face it, the Swans get the AFL average crowd, and the Storm get the NRL average crowd. Both camps should be happy.

What do you expect. Put the AFL through a internal war, and see the storm out for 20 years, then come back to me.

Originally posted by grayham
You are not a fan of AFL
How dare you. You think that simply because i am a supporter of the Storm and of Rugby League in general that I can't follow the AFL or even be a fan? I can take it when people have a go at the game i love, but when people question my loyalty it just over steps the mark.
I was an AFL fan before i even saw a game of Rugby League, let alone know what it was. Im a Geelong fan, and have been since i was little, just like my father and grandfather. I proudly wear navy and white and i am just as proud as when i wear my Storm jersey.
And i make no apologizes if it makes you angry, jealous or whatever, that I appreciate both sports and what they offer.

Originally posted by grayham
You are not a fan of AFL
And another thing, What the hell are you basing this on!!!:mad:
I have not said one bad thing about the AFL, and in some circumstances I have defended it, just as I have defended League. Search through my previous posts if you like, I stand by that claim.

Originally posted by billy big ears
Study your history before you make a FOOL of yourself on this forum again.

you dont have to go to ireland to know about gaelic footy, dont forget that victoria was overflowing with irish convicts.......perhaps they knew something about the game?

you dont have to go to ireland to know about gaelic footy, dont forget that victoria was overflowing with irish convicts.......perhaps they knew something about the game?

Perhaps, just as a game played by local Victorian aboriginals (cant remember the name ----- marn grook i think) was similar to Austalian Rules football, high marking was a feature of the game using a possum skin or skins.

I think when the game was developed the founders attempted to use the best from many codes.............. IMO they suceeded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by fabulousphil
Perhaps, just as a game played by local Victorian aboriginals cant remember the name ----- marn grook i think
Thats the correct name, Marn Grook. However, there is no definitive proof that Thomas Wills used Marn Grook as a model for the game. There is strong speculation that Wills was influenced by Aboriginal culture

Gaelic football was not played in Ireland around that time due to the british and I doubt Wills spent much time talking to convicts about their homeland anyway.

What, like when AFL games in Sydney get 5,000 people, half made up of school kids at Auskick clinics (refer you to the kangaroos at the SCG in 2001)??
Kangaroos Home Games in Sydney

1999 v St. Kilda 12 111
1999 v West Coast 15 150
1999 v Geelong 10 676

2000 v Port 6 963
2000 v Richmond 9 231

2001 Only home game was against Sydney 22 395

I've left the home games against Sydney out of the above (except 2001). As you can see, an Aussie Rules team from Melbourne was able to get crowds equal to or larger than most Sydney RL teams. And the Kangaroos were playing against interstate sides.

The average attendance for the Kangaroos 8 home games played in Sydney was over 15 000 (including Swans games).

Yeah, it is pretty funny. :)

"Mate your now making excuses, AFL clubs also used to play at suburban grounds..the game grew up."

I've watched Origin at the MCG in front of 50,000+ and wouldnt swap the atmosphere of 10,000 at OP. Atmosphere doesnt equal big crowd.

"If supporters cant be stuffed travelling from one suburb to the next then it is rather indicative of the lack of passion"

When nearly every game is live of slightly delayed, it doesnt help. By the way, nearly every sport including the AFL is on Pay.

"Obviously you dont know many AFL fans,all my mates couldn't give a stuff as to who wins... its irrelevant."

ALL my friends are AFL fans. And all they talk about is the Origin when its on.

"Rubbish

The Oztam figures conclusively show that the AFL grand final convincingly outrated the NRL grand final. You can try and twist the figures all you like it still doesn't hide the fact that the NRL was well beaten last year and will be beaten again this year."

Ferret ferret ferret. In the Capital Cities where it was LIVE - MELB / SYD / BRIS, the NRL rated HIGHER. Your figures included ALL capital cites which is a little unfair considering NINE dont show it till midnight.

4.5 million watched it in Australia and NZ.

" Again your attempting to manipulate figures, only two states watch NRL, the rest of Australia watch the AFL."

Funny how those two states have as big or bigger population than the rest of Australia that mostly are RL fans. Nice one Ferret.

"Points for creativity, but unfortunately you're deluding yourself."

RU has many fans all around Australia that ARNT RL fans. Combine them both, and well, the AFL may be well behind.

"player talent wise"

Thats a joke right! Ha! Yes, very funny Ferret!

Lets see the best AFL stars take on Australia's Kangaroo team. 'Highly skilled and talented sportsman' playing a game they should excell in. A very limited skilled game called RL. They should dominate with all their skills right? Especially against 'skilless boofheads' like RL players right?

And like I said before. Its the SCHOOLBOY RL team. Hehehe. Poor Ferret. He has no idea.

irrelevant to the arguement, in any case rl is the evolved form of rugby and hence it is much more exciting and free flowing and entertaining.

Then how come Union is more popular on the International stage, smart guy?

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
What, like when AFL games in Sydney get 5,000 people, half made up of school kids at Auskick clinics (refer you to the kangaroos at the SCG in 2001)??

lol lol

Cheers,
Moffo

The Kangaroos average crowd in Sydney (excluding their 'home' games against the Swans) was about 10,000, comparable to most rugby league teams in Sydney.

This argument could go on forever but the indisputable facts are the AFL has it all over the RL in every area that one could mention.

Attendance.

Revenue.

Sponsorship.

Membership.

TV ratings.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/28/1064687671216.html

Btw the GF rated 3.5 million across Australia with 716,000 in Brisbane. And the AFL didn't move their GF to prime time to artificially inflate the tv ratings.

I've yet to see anything here to show RL is anywhere near the AFL in a national sense. If anybody here can give me facts to show RL is anywhere near the AFL I am very eager to see them.

Remember *facts* no BS.

Even their most ardent supporters cant give you any FACTS to back up the BS that eminates from mostly the Sydney media who of course have a vested interest in promoting RL.
Australian Football is clearly in the asendency at the moment but cannot rest on its laurels or become complacent.

Originally posted by Rob
The Kangaroos average crowd in Sydney (excluding their 'home' games against the Swans) was about 10,000, comparable to most rugby league teams in Sydney.

yeh, but they only plaeyd 3 games a year. NRL teams play 12

If the dogs only played 3 games a year they would avg 40,000

Its an irrelevant point

Cheers,
Moffo

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
yeh, but they only plaeyd 3 games a year. NRL teams play 12

If the dogs only played 3 games a year they would avg 40,000

Its an irrelevant point

Cheers,
Moffo

5 wasn't it?

But you're right, it is an irrelevant point when talking wherher crowds were reasonable. Fact remains that their crowds, while downright embarrassing for AFL standards were reasonable when compared to those of Sydney's 'main' sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back