Reveler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2005
Fremantle, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago, 49ers
Watching the Raiders v Bulldogs as I am trying to get into it...I can't help but laugh. two weeks ago I went to a Raiders game.. it was a big game. The biggest Canberra has seen for a while. It was 21,000. Just.

It was pathetic, now watching this game, the crowd is soo damn small. Does anyone really see this as a threat to AFL?

No, the A-league is probaly more of the threat this year and deffinatly will be more then the NRL in 5-10 years.

The NRL trolls are serious.

To us, though, it's more of a joke. We don't really care about NRL. Half the time, I forget they even exist.

Lol, I was wondering how long it would take for you to take the bait!

I don't think I've ever see littleduck post in a thread without NRL in the title. He must just hit up search and punch in NRL. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just sayin'.

Reveler said:
Watching the Raiders v Bulldogs as I am trying to get into it...I can't help but laugh. two weeks ago I went to a Raiders game.. it was a big game. The biggest Canberra has seen for a while. It was 21,000. Just.

It was pathetic, now watching this game, the crowd is soo damn small. Does anyone really see this as a threat to AFL?

Around 30k would be a good turnout between these two sides.....the Raiders being very low drawers in Sydney, even though they are pretty close...but draw similarly to the Storm (well, not quite that bad).

50k+ to the Brisb v StG game is good.....i forgot...Littleduck...which is the 'favourite' timeslot for Broncos supporters to see a game...did you say it was Sat or Sun afternoon.....cause many supporters turnout in greater numbers in a timeslot they are used to..

Yes, the theme of which is NRL being vastly inferior to AFL.

Which it is.

In its best season in nearly a decade the NRL can't match the A-League in Melbourne.

It's just a good thing that after Storm stumble to another third-placed-sport crowd showing in Melbourne, the whole sad charade packs up to Sydney until next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The days of consistently huge crowds for Brisbane Boncos games are probably over since the Gold Coast are entering the comp next year, there'll be more than a few jumping off the Boncos bandwagon. Why the Gold Coast is getting a team, I have NFI, the Crushers failed and before that the Seagulls went belly up. But then that's the nrl board mentality there....... Anyway, gotta love those crowds of 5000 odd that turn up to Souths games, compare that to how many marched in Sydney went they were kicked out a few years ago............. The nrl's only strength is tv ratings in qld/nsw. Within 7-10 years I see the top comps being the AFL and A League. Hopefully sometime soon in the future I can stop being bombarded with this league crap here in Qld.......

NRL only got 14,678 fans for the game @ TD tonight, with no competition!!

Although its probably up for their seasons average!!

I wonder how many were free tickets as on radio all week they were giving alot to callers on sports shows:rolleyes:

airpoe said:
NRL only got 14,678 fans for the game @ TD tonight, with no competition!!
:

More damning is the fact it was the only game, only final, in Sydney (pop approx 4.5 million) all weekend. In fact no other major code was playing in Sydney either.

philhawk said:
So the fact that there was absolutely atrocious weather in Sydney is not take into consideration?

Fair enough. :rolleyes:

Telstra stadium has 60,000 undercover seats, and a train station next door.
The weather shouldnt have a huge effect if the game was worth watching.

philhawk said:
So the fact that there was absolutely atrocious weather in Sydney is not take into consideration?

Fair enough. :rolleyes:

The Bulldogs and the raiders was always going to attract a poor crowd

Maybe another 3000 people at best i might have turned up if the weather was nice

Packed house in Newcastle
50 000 in Brisbane.

Last nights crowd was ****house tho, but you get that. Hardly good conditions.

League will always dominate NSW and Qld, AFL will dominate victoria, SA and WA.

LOL @ Herbs. Bombarded with this league crap? Its a rugby league state dude, if anything Afl are the ones bombarding league fans. What do you expect if you live in Queensland?

Afl **** on us for crowds, lardgly due to our lazy/dormant league fan base. And the Super League war continues to affect the game.

Whoever said this is the best league season in a decade is kidding themselves, it's been one of the ****test ever

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL v AFL.. are people serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back