NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the AFL are scrapping this scheme as of next year?

Western Sydney will get pummelled badly enough...but without even having the right to reserve the best young home grown talent. Hmmm.

A) I seriously doubt that West Sydney will end up happening. Far more likely that the 18th team will be from Tasmania. The poor turnout for the Sydney final at Homebush would have been a rude awakening for the AFL.

B) The AFL is of the view that the benefits of the scholarship scheme far outweigh the downsides. The view is that there is more to be gained from having 16 clubs active in developing the talent than just 1 or 2.

The NSW Scholarship program looks like it could unearth some serious talent next season.

Sydney's Craig Bird came from the program, Taylor Walker looks like he's going to be a dominant KPF at Adelaide (18yo, 7.3 from 25 disp in the SANFL Elim Final this weekend), and Ranga Ediriwickrama looks so good he could be an auto-starter even in Geelong's side in 09!

Needs to improve his disposal and has dodgy hammy's but does have pace and poise to burn..
Played with Will Sierrakowski at North Shore this year.. keep an eye on this kid.. Still too young to be picked up this year but will be a star, unbelievable balance and decision making..
Scott Reed will be very good also, BOG in the SFL grand final, runs like a hare and is 194 cm..
Trent Stubbs i believe is overrated.. whinges too much

ryan davis> everyone. Kid will be a star. 191cm, bloody quick, great disposal and loves a contest. Embley Mk2, but better.

Just a comparison having played with Ryno before he went to West, and now 4 or 5 other scholarship holders this year, Sierra is another step up from anything we have seen before at our club. Hawthorn have a beauty on their hands here. Put his name down now for next years draft.

The NSW Scholarship program looks like it could unearth some serious talent next season.

Sydney's Craig Bird came from the program, Taylor Walker looks like he's going to be a dominant KPF at Adelaide (18yo, 7.3 from 25 disp in the SANFL Elim Final this weekend), and Ranga Ediriwickrama looks so good he could be an auto-starter even in Geelong's side in 09!

Needs to improve his disposal and has dodgy hammy's but does have pace and poise to burn..
Played with Will Sierrakowski at North Shore this year.. keep an eye on this kid.. Still too young to be picked up this year but will be a star, unbelievable balance and decision making..
Scott Reed will be very good also, BOG in the SFL grand final, runs like a hare and is 194 cm..
Trent Stubbs i believe is overrated.. whinges too much
Sierrakowski, any relation to Brian and David?

Saints fans are excited about Blake McGrath. 208cm 18 year old, background primarily in basketball and soccer

You should be excited about Josh Duncan, he's an absolute gun. Amazing player. Aaron Duncan is his brother who is on a scholarship with adelaide. I'd know, because i play footy with them. Go Pennant Hills Demons!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker has kicked 53 goals in league SANFL footy this year

need to remember he started off the year as a 17 year old in the ressies

the crows have purposely held him bak from playing AFL this year, lit was a courageous however long term the right decision

some good SA footy judges say this kid is BETTER than Stick Kernahan at he same age

best thing, the lad grew up supporting the Crows

watch out
:)

Well i guess that sees him destined to play, indeed captain, multiple Premiership teams, kicking nearly 800 goals from CHF along the way! Give the boy a chance will ya. :rolleyes::eek:

In some cases they are only in it for the free ride to help pay for the effluent educations at the private schools and don't have the passion for the game.

Are you saying the teaching is shit? :D

geelong has just signed 15yr old beau black.
anyone know anything about the kid?

Yeh he's my teammate here on the south coast of wollongong NSW.

He's a great player, hard running, very quick (2.91 seconds for 20m sprint), good hands (takes allot of contested marks).

Plays in the midfield, and he loves the contested ball.

Has a great kick for a 15 year old, pretty good on the left too.

He is also a great tackler, and well built for his age and is already well developed.

When he was 13 and 14 he was involved in the Swans Academy in sydney.

He did have some injuiry concerns this year though - he broke a colarbone playing gridiron, but still managed to win best on ground in our grand final win. Unfortunately he missed out on best and fairest for the club (3rd behind myself as winner - thats my claim to fame!), but he is no doubt a star.

Also travelled to victoria as part of the V-Line Series where he was best on ground twice, and named in the best in the other match. Due to his outstanding performance he got named player of the V-Line series, and i think also selected in an all-star squad.

Heres a write up on him that was in the paper the other day...

http://nowra.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/black-scores-geelong-scholarship/1322310.aspx

Mate I'm sure Black would love you to death with this info but don't show him the pictures your room for god sake . quote]

Lol

he's a good mate

but when u come from a small town like i do, in NSW where most people are w***ers and think AFL should be renamed 'Gay F.L.' and when 3 years ago we only had 2 ****en teams and the comp and we played each other every single frecking week, to have a guy make it through all the representative levels and get picked up has been awesome, means our leagues finally started getting some support, and even having a few scouts and crap along. Had 6 teams this year, and should improve to 8 next year so yeh its been good. I envy you victorians something chronic though...

Hey guys....can anyone give any info on Teddy Strudwick in terms of what kind of player he is and whether you think he'll make it? Disappointed the Demons have only got one player on a scholarship and desperately hoping he's a very good one!

Any info would be great :thumbsu:

West Coast
Jake King
Kieran Emery
Alexander Sneddon

What happened to Anthony Stubbs - he represented NSW in the championships this year are we still able to Rookie draft him and when can we draft the others named above???

West Coast
Jake King
Kieran Emery
Alexander Sneddon

What happened to Anthony Stubbs - he represented NSW in the championships this year are we still able to Rookie draft him and when can we draft the others named above???

Saw a bit of Sneddon this year. He was a regular top-up player for the Swans reserves in the first half of the season. Then he disappeared. Thought that was just because the listed Swans rucks came back from injury so they didn't need him anymore but his disappearance could have been linked with him being signed on a scholarship by another club.

Was really asked to do a man's job with a boy's body. He was short to be rucking at senior ACTAFL level and was probably half the size (width-wise) of most of his opponents. If he's stopped growing he won't be tall enough to become a long-term senior ruck but at his age he's probably got a fair chance of getting much taller.

Very hard to judge his capabilities given how outsized he was but was impressed by his fearless attitude. Continously threw his body into ruck contests despite his size and never saw him shirk anything. Must have been getting a real physical battering but never gave up. One of the Canberra teams (Belconnen? Queanbeyan) has a ruckman who makes Tony Lockett look like Twiggy. Watching him ruck against that seemed just plain cruel.

Saw a bit of Sneddon this year. He was a regular top-up player for the Swans reserves in the first half of the season. Then he disappeared. Thought that was just because the listed Swans rucks came back from injury so they didn't need him anymore but his disappearance could have been linked with him being signed on a scholarship by another club.

Was really asked to do a man's job with a boy's body. He was short to be rucking at senior ACTAFL level and was probably half the size (width-wise) of most of his opponents. If he's stopped growing he won't be tall enough to become a long-term senior ruck but at his age he's probably got a fair chance of getting much taller.

Very hard to judge his capabilities given how outsized he was but was impressed by his fearless attitude. Continously threw his body into ruck contests despite his size and never saw him shirk anything. Must have been getting a real physical battering but never gave up. One of the Canberra teams (Belconnen? Queanbeyan) has a ruckman who makes Tony Lockett look like Twiggy. Watching him ruck against that seemed just plain cruel.

thanks for the update, he was listed at 203cm on the west coast article mid year so either thats wrong or he grew.

did he look like this

Alexander%20Sneddon2461.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Back