NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to TAYLOR WALKER, Neil Craig is an idiot. If this kid is as good as we've heard, and he's going so well in the SANFL seniors (which had a few decent sized blokes running around last time I checked), then there's no excuse as to why he couldn't have had a game in the seniors. The crows MUST rebuild their forwardline as Gill, Burton, MacGregor, Jericho (the latter two having recently been booted) and whoever else they use to plug holes down there aren't going to be around for their next tilt at the flag.

He gave Tippet a go in the forwardline so I can't see why he couldn't have the two of them working up there together, getting to know each other.

We played Roughead and Franklin all the time in their first year and it helped them start the unstoppable partnership they're building at the moment. Is Craign trying to shelter him from a Western Sydney team?

The New Sydney Side Venture has injected some hope into the Competition for the local boys as there is a pool of talented players that have not been picked up on Scholarships that are the true footballers egar to do what they do best PLAY AUSSIE RULES and they are local. The vast majority of Scholarships are not at the standard of these guys waiting in the line to be picked up. The selectors are going to have a great time with these guys because they are hungry and had the jack of the current processes and ready to have ago. These are the guys that don't get to be rotated that run at the ball for 4 quarters with massive work rates and large engines they don't require ice when the going gets tuff and don't have prick relations pushing their carts for them.....

This can happen I would think in such a program, but I think overall it is a positive thing this scholarship program.

If clubs are given concessions to recruit players from Sydney as they do for recruiting from Ireland I am sure there would be more incentive for clubs to put resources in there. eg -only half of money paid for a player recruited from a sydney club is on salary cap for 1st 2 years on the list etc. or one extra sydney player allowed on list etc per club.

Scott Reed is been given excellent tutorage from collingwood at the Lexus centre. that sort of stuff must help a footballers development.

Have you got any names of people waiting in the wings? or would you prefer not to mention on a public forum?

If clubs are given concessions to recruit players from Sydney as they do for recruiting from Ireland I am sure there would be more incentive for clubs to put resources in there. eg -only half of money paid for a player recruited from a sydney club is on salary cap for 1st 2 years on the list etc. or one extra sydney player allowed on list etc per club.

They do get concessions. At the start of the programme, when it was compulsory for each club to give out at least one scholarship, the AFL was providing financial assistance (effectively funding those scholarships). Now that it is no longer compulsory, not sure what funding is made available.

But also, if a scholarship player is taken as a rookie when eligible, they count outside the normal rookie quota for their first year on the list (much like international rookies). Indeed, list wise the concession is greater than for Irish youngsters, since they are deemed non-International for the purposes of rookie list quota.

They do get concessions. At the start of the programme, when it was compulsory for each club to give out at least one scholarship, the AFL was providing financial assistance (effectively funding those scholarships). Now that it is no longer compulsory, not sure what funding is made available.

But also, if a scholarship player is taken as a rookie when eligible, they count outside the normal rookie quota for their first year on the list (much like international rookies). Indeed, list wise the concession is greater than for Irish youngsters, since they are deemed non-International for the purposes of rookie list quota.

That is a reasonable concession, but not a great concession. I guess they don't want clubs raiding sydney before the West Sydney club is set up, but in my viewpoint I would give even more. If you recruit a player from Sydney then he should be outside your list payments for at least 3 years. That would make it far more interesting for clubs.

I would also think the Riverina Footy league should be included in this little party, but maybe they only get 1 year outside list payment or whatever.
Either way -open it up to all NSW.

That is a reasonable concession, but not a great concession. I guess they don't want clubs raiding sydney before the West Sydney club is set up, but in my viewpoint I would give even more. If you recruit a player from Sydney then he should be outside your list payments for at least 3 years. That would make it far more interesting for clubs.

I would also think the Riverina Footy league should be included in this little party, but maybe they only get 1 year outside list payment or whatever.
Either way -open it up to all NSW.
Gee we have only been saying and asking for that for the last 4 years.
Not gunna happen, and as looseman says it is now starting to eat into the integrity of the rep carnivals and teams.

To give an example, when it come to the Under 16 Rams in 2009, scholarship holders get right of way. There are around 18 of them. Players from the Riverina, ACT, and newcomers, overlooked players and late developers from the scholarship zones have to compete for the handful of remaining places.

CYLON7, while we are on the subject of scholarship players getting the right of way, thats an absolute fact, look at the current state team, there were scholarshipship players this year that struggled with time trials, beep testing and were injured prior to the carnival that did not participate in the carnival or any club pre-season at all, but quailified for the state team an absolute mockery of the program and fair competition, some of these players were absolute poor-performers at club level its a joke. It is also understood that scholarship players are subsidized by the players that are forking out to pay for the privilege to be involved in this carnival thinking that they have an equal chance and fair competition which is "BULLSHIT".

Players from the ACT are debating whether it is worth attending and paying $700 for competitions like this if they are not going to have a chance.
The same thing happens at Narrandera for the under 13/14s where ACT and Riverina kids are just there for backdrop so the recruiters can look over the other kids for scholarships.

Apparently it changes when the kids hit the under 18s because they want to win and players are judged more on their merits. Don't know if this true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone know anything about jake millyn? was a gun in u15/16s playing for ainslie. came from the south coast i think.

also, do canberra boys not get a chance to be on the scholarship? if so, why? if not, why arent there any?

Any one know anything of Braedon Jones or Daniel Lloyd or Chris Ogle?

Jones and Lloyd both played in the Black Diamond league in Newcastle, Jones for Newcastle City, Lloyd for Killarney Vale.

Jones played seniors for Newcastle City and won the premiership. He played 15 senior games, kicked 11 goals and was named in the best player lists 7 times, including the grand final.

He kicked 4 goals and allegedly had 52 possesions in the first final in the U18's (City lost by a point).

Lloyd is still U16 (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure) but played 4 games in the U18's and was named in the best players in 3 of them, including kicking 6 in one of them.

He played 3 games in the seniors as well.

Ogle plays for UNSW/Eastern Suburbs in the Sydney comp. He played seniors most of the year but got dropped for the last 3 games.

Jones and Lloyd both played in the Black Diamond league in Newcastle, Jones for Newcastle City, Lloyd for Killarney Vale.

Jones played seniors for Newcastle City and won the premiership. He played 15 senior games, kicked 11 goals and was named in the best player lists 7 times, including the grand final.

He kicked 4 goals and allegedly had 52 possesions in the first final in the U18's (City lost by a point).

Lloyd is still U16 (I think, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure) but played 4 games in the U18's and was named in the best players in 3 of them, including kicking 6 in one of them.

He played 3 games in the seniors as well.

Ogle plays for UNSW/Eastern Suburbs in the Sydney comp. He played seniors most of the year but got dropped for the last 3 games.
Ok thanks, do you have any idea about the positions they play?

Ok thanks, do you have any idea about the positions they play?

Jones is a pure midfielder. I don't know if he's grown but he was listed as 185cm when he was first signed at 15.

Lloyd was listed at 178cm when he was signed but he might have been even younger than Jones was. He's more of a forward.

Ogle's not as tall as his old man, 190cm from memory and a defender. Ogle was borderline in the NSW team this year but made little if any impact.

Is that right?

Hmmm, so with Reed going onto our rookie list, we'll still have four rookie list spots to fill with Dyas retained and Keeffe added... assuming we promote Wellingham and MacAffer as expected.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Looseman

We were unaware of the situation in Sydney. After reading earlier threads we are more aware now.

Perhaps we should be approaching Mr Langford as he might be more sympathetic to the plight of sons in the Riverina and ACT?

To give an example, when it come to the Under 16 Rams in 2009, scholarship holders get right of way. There are around 18 of them. Players from the Riverina, ACT, and newcomers, overlooked players and late developers from the scholarship zones have to compete for the handful of remaining places.

That is disappointing to hear, yet in the under 18's NSW did quite well this year - progressing to 1st division and beating Vic Country and coming 4th on the 1st division ladder.

How many of them were scholarship holders?

Maybe they can have a trial match prior to listing the NSW team - scholarship holders vs other NSW/ACT players and pick it based on that.

Harmesy37, I think in total NSW/ACT have about 50 or 51 scholarships going into 2009. The 2008 NSW/ACT U18 RAMS v VIC COUNTRY there are five NSW/ACT scholars from the squad list of 39 that I can identify could be more not 100% certain and they are likely to be the younger players going into the 2009 season as actual 18s.

I'm not sure if a pre-match to validate scholar players will make a difference although a perfect concept, remember AFL has already selected the best that is why their on the contracts.

There where 15 from 39 that are scholarship holders.
I got hammered at the time (when NSW/ACT beat Vic C) because I didn't think that it was great that 9 guys from Sydney where in the side that beat them. Sydney footy is improving and this is because of the scholarships blah blah blah.
My arguement than and still is now, NSW/ACT beat the Vics NOT guys from Sydney and players from the Riverina (which is always strong and the main footy that they play *sic*), and thats why the scheme should be all NSW/ACT and not just trying to find new players at 14 15 who have never played the game before and then try and fast track them into rep and state teams.

There where 15 from 39 that are scholarship holders.
I got hammered at the time (when NSW/ACT beat Vic C) because I didn't think that it was great that 9 guys from Sydney where in the side that beat them. Sydney footy is improving and this is because of the scholarships blah blah blah.
My arguement than and still is now, NSW/ACT beat the Vics NOT guys from Sydney and players from the Riverina (which is always strong and the main footy that they play *sic*), and thats why the scheme should be all NSW/ACT and not just trying to find new players at 14 15 who have never played the game before and then try and fast track them into rep and state teams.

I have to agree with you if you are saying that the whole of NSW should be open for scholarships.

Maybe they should have it where for every Sydney kid recruited for a scholarship, the next scholarship holder has to be from country NSW.

I also think any NSW scholarship holder shouldn't be put towards the salary cap for at least 2 years.

Maybe one day when an AFL official who is employed in the ACT or Riverina has a son that reaches scholarship age he will feel the injustice and resentment and will stand up for what is right.

These guys need to learn empathy and to follow their consciences and not just toe the party line.

Or maybe the NSW kids that are not eligible for a scholarship can work there ar$e off like every other kid in Australia and get picked up on hard work, talent and ability. People can whinge and moan all they want but if your good enough and you want it bad enough you will make it. A lot of these scholarship kids won't make it to the AFL, in fact I would think probably 90% wont so to say it's an easy path for them isn't correct, it's easier but you still need to be good enough.

Life's not fair and is never a level playing feild you simply do what you can under your circumstances. City kids have it easier because they don't have to battle with distance, country kids have it easier because they have less competition for spots in rep teams. We can argue all day about who is getting a free ride and who isn't but at the end of the day you play the cards your dealt and do the best you can.

AFL teams won't ignore quality performaces and talent so if you have both of those you give yourself a good chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Back