NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish people would stop bleating about a few boys having the opertunity be involved with afl clubs. The afl clubs spend huge amounts of money looking at kids all over australia and if some kid from canberra does not make the grade it may be that he has not been overlooked but has not been good enough to be drafted of rookied and we all have to come to grips with the fact that the boys who play in the tac cup ie McNiel and others have a great chance to be drafted next year.

Don't see why the Swans would be furious, he is the son of Chris Langford after all and would have gone father-son to the Hawks in any case.

because the nsw scholarship program can top a father/son pick. I read somewhere that Sydney thinks they should have first pick before other clubs can get their hands on them. They rate langers very highly!!

because the nsw scholarship program can top a father/son pick. I read somewhere that Sydney thinks they should have first pick before other clubs can get their hands on them. They rate langers very highly!!

Well he may change his mind. Even though he is a Hawthorn supporter he may choose the Swans as he was raised in Sydney and may decide that he would rather continue to live in the city that he grew up in.

The scholarships were introduced purely as a marketing tool to get grass roots interest and involvement from elite athletes in Sydney and the other "non traditional" AFL areas in NSW ... and now the AFL has pulled funding, it will be interesting to see how it goes! It has proven a wake up call to Sydney, and they and Collingwood appear to have embraced it ... some clubs are just not interested ... It was also interesting to note that NONE of the current scholarship boys were drafted this year ... rather the clubs "rorted" the system by guaranteeing them rookie positions ... which they all accepted rather than "rolling the dice" ... probably fair enough with the new rules for rookies in '09.

So far as where the next "draftable" players come from, this tends to be cyclical ... a bit of irony is that whilst little "Jake from Ainslie" has been complaining, his u/13's ACT "Cats" were the absolute stand out group at the recent State Zone trials in Naranderra ... in fact they are one of the most dominant and talented sides seen at these carnivals over the past 3 years ... based on that, I'm fairly certain that they will dominate selections for the 2013 RAMS side! ... on the other hand, the 2 Riverina sides who normally do very well, both struggled ... I did hear suggestions that this was a result of lack of funds from the AFL ... ?

I wouldn't call adding scholarship players to AFL rookie lists "rorting" the system. Clearly the ability to rookie list a scholarship player outside of the normal rookie list for one year was built in by the AFL as an incentive.

"rorting" may be harsh, but, surely if not for the fact he was on scholarship, and effectively overlooked by the other clubs, a player like Ranga Ediriwickrama, who was rookie listed by Geelong, would have been drafted by someone else. NSW captain, All Australian, and many felt he was of first round quality.

Five NSW boys fell into this category, I'm not saying they were all in the top 60-70, but even if they were, the scholarship sort of ensures that they do not come under consideration by the other clubs, and they are then at the mercy of their scholarship club ... I know that not all were happy with the proposition put to them, but felt they had no option but to accept.

It would be interesting if next years' Natanui, Rich and Watts were all NSW Scholarship players, would they accept rookie positions, or roll the dice ???

they would accept i reackon
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

they would accept i reackon
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Players will dice with the draft if they are guaranteed to be picked up in the first 2 rounds. An example of this is Dane Beams who rejected a rookie listing with the GC. And players like Natanui/Rich/Watts would never consider a Rookie position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players will dice with the draft if they are guaranteed to be picked up in the first 2 rounds. An example of this is Dane Beams who rejected a rookie listing with the GC. And players like Natanui/Rich/Watts would never consider a Rookie position.
The Beams case is different as GC don't even enter the AFL for a few years. If you rookied Watts you can be instantly elevate him as a nominated rookie if your club didn't have too many veterans and the club can pay him any salary, as rookie salaries doesn't appear to be limited as it is for regular draftees (there is a minimum, but the EBA doesn't say that it is a maximum like it is for the main draft, I'm happy to be corrected on this, but that's how I read it).

Essentially, if you are good enough for the club to assure you that you'll be a nominated rookie there is no difference. And they could sweeten it for a good player by boosting their salary. I think it will become very rare for NSW scholarship players to start on senior lists.

The smart clubs are stretching the rookie rules to the limit, the rest are playing catch up as usual.

There been Reports today from Pies Traning that we have got another Scholarship player who is an Aboriginal Player about the 198cm-200cm mark

Post's Here

Does anyone here know anything about this?

There been Reports today from Pies Traning that we have got another Scholarship player who is an Aboriginal Player about the 198cm-200cm mark

Post's Here

Does anyone here know anything about this?

Had a look at the thread, this time of year is when the AIS boys spend a week at an AFL club, for instance Josh Toy has been at Essendon. That discription sounds a lot like Tom Nicholls, who's an absolute gem of a prospect for 2010, so I don't think you've plucked another NSW Scholarship player.

For what it's worth, he's Figian rather than Aboriginal.

Had a look at the thread, this time of year is when the AIS boys spend a week at an AFL club, for instance Josh Toy has been at Essendon. That discription sounds a lot like Tom Nicholls, who's an absolute gem of a prospect for 2010, so I don't think you've plucked another NSW Scholarship player.

For what it's worth, he's Figian rather than Aboriginal.
Could be, There Coach must of got the Wrong Idea and He then would be playing for the Gold Coast,

Those he did say his name was Josh

Ive been reading this thread for a while. Im from the ACT region and don't have any involvement apart from general interest in the ACT league. I also have an interest in junior talent in the area. This link is the results of the NSW/ACT state team trials, held over 3 days in coffs harbour. The format is 2 x 15 min halves, 2 matches per day.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=7871363&sectionID=56131

Interestingly, 2 of the 3 teams that are unbeaten at this stage don't have access to the Scholarship program- the Rebels (Southern NSW) and Cats (ACT/South coast). Makes a pretty bold statement that these 2 areas should be included to give these kids a leg up into the AFL. Also puts back into perspective the strength of footy in ACT, and that we do have the talent in the region- they just don't get the same exposure as kids from sydney, wollongong etc etc.

Interestingly, 2 of the 3 teams that are unbeaten at this stage don't have access to the Scholarship program- the Rebels (Southern NSW) and Cats (ACT/South coast). Makes a pretty bold statement that these 2 areas should be included to give these kids a leg up into the AFL.
Or it could make the opposite statement, which is that footy in these regions is obviously going really well without additional assistance?

Or it could make the opposite statement, which is that footy in these regions is obviously going really well without additional assistance?

Not really. The teams might be doing well in terms of competitiveness in their areas, but in terms of getting lads drafted, something is not working. Success of the teams indicates there is some talent down there.

That said, at least parts of Southern NSW are now within the scholarship catchment area. Both the Swans and Crows signed players from that region last year after the boundaries were changed. The ACT remains outside the qualifying area, as discussed elsewhere on this thread.

Yesterday the new Western Sydney side, Pioneers, with seven scholarship holders beat the Starz and Pigeons. Following this logic, footy is going well for them. Do they now need scholarships?

As already stated in this thread, the problem is that the AFL pathway has been stopping for the ACT at the under 18 level. If Aaron Bruce had received a scholarship at 15 like so many NSW boys, he might still be on the Swans list today.

Heard the Pies got Ben Camilleri on Scholarship,

Any news on Him?

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Back