NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a little surprised that the scholarship program hasn't been closed. I would have thought they'd want the new Sydney side to pinch as much of that talent as possible. Let the older kids already selected stay in it, but shut it to kids under a certain age.
Disagree, its a great way to keep talented AFL kids heading towards the AFL, To "win" NSW you need locals playing AFL.

The NSW Scholarship program looks like it could unearth some serious talent next season.

Great initiative AFL! Any other potential stars in this program people know about?

I now live in Sydney and as my nephews are playing for the Easts team I have seen a few matches of U12's and some U16's.

The kids skills are becoming so natural at AFL that I think most of you would also be surprised at how good they have become. Not only that but there are 'throngs' of them running around playing AFL now.

The leagues themselves are almost at a stage where they are not only self sustaining but should continue to grow and grow. A lot of great work has been done by some people. I guess the AFL is due some credit here as well.

There is definatley a need for every club to be keeping an eye on this area. It's going to provide many more kids over the years to come.

The system here is not going to suddenly produce 10 players a year or anything quite like that, but I will not be surprised in the least if there is between 1 and 2 good players coming through consistently every year in a couple of years. Given the law of averages, every now and then one of those players will be a 'judd' calibre player.

So given the current recruiting rules, there are definatley gold in dem dere hills for teams with vision and a bit of commitment.

Now I just hope Richmond get on board this band wagon!

Taylor Walker is one of the best footballing talents I've ever seen.

Will play 22 games next year fitness and sanity prevailing.

Walker has kicked 53 goals in league SANFL footy this year

need to remember he started off the year as a 17 year old in the ressies

the crows have purposely held him bak from playing AFL this year, lit was a courageous however long term the right decision

some good SA footy judges say this kid is BETTER than Stick Kernahan at he same age

best thing, the lad grew up supporting the Crows

watch out
:)

Walker has kicked 53 goals in league SANFL footy this year

need to remember he started off the year as a 17 year old in the ressies

the crows have purposely held him bak from playing AFL this year, lit was a courageous however long term the right decision

some good SA footy judges say this kid is BETTER than Stick Kernahan at he same age

best thing, the lad grew up supporting the Crows

watch out
:)

Not knocking Walker at all, but wasn't it McDermott who said that? Which means one of 2 things, either he's a dud or he's that good that even McDermott can see it.:D I'm hoping for the later and having seen him now in the flesh, the boy can definitely play.

Not knocking Walker at all, but wasn't it McDermott who said that? Which means one of 2 things, either he's a dud or he's that good that even McDermott can see it.:D I'm hoping for the later and having seen him now in the flesh, the boy can definitely play.

McDermott is a clown and his success rate is about 1 / 10, however this one is McDermott's sure bet

GUN :thumbsu:

I'm a little surprised that the scholarship program hasn't been closed. I would have thought they'd want the new Sydney side to pinch as much of that talent as possible. Let the older kids already selected stay in it, but shut it to kids under a certain age.

I initially thought that as well. But I guess until they set up an equivalent of the GC17 group ie WS18, and have a timeline for going into the TAC cup etc, like they have with the GC17 and letting them pick all the best kids in Qld, they will keep it open.

Ranga is awesome. saw one of his games before he got hamstrung in the U18s championship. my teammate beau black recently got a geelong scholarship too. he is 15 and he goes very well. he won most valuable player in the victorian championships playing for south coast CATS recently. it was only in division 3 but he cant play any higher coming from my area because the team only made that division. i went to the swans game with him and i was lucky to sit with all the other geelong scholarship holders. and i sat next to ranga! it was pretty awesome. said he was coming back from injury the next week. kinda weird sitting next to someone, youve read so much about.

anyway check the afl sites they have probably updated their scholarship lists by now. Beau Black is on the Geelong Site. might have to check archives now because it was a while ago (like 2 months or so) that his item was up....

Just out of interest from a guy that hasn't seen any SANFL footy this year. How did Patrick Dangerfeild get a game for the Crows ahead of him? Surely good SANFL form would be better than good TAC Cup form.

Firstly, Dangerfield is a midfielder.. Walker is a key forward, so comparing why one got a game while the other didnt doesnt really work.

Secondly, Neil Craig seemed determined to let Walker play out the year in the SANFL.. He has always been slow at exposing players to the rigours of AFL. He also stated that Walker needed to work on defensive aspects of his game, before he comes onto the big stage.. He also showed worrying signs of fatigue in the second halves of games, which would be expected of a 17/18 year old, and we all kno how much emphasis Craigy puts on fitness.

That aside, I think its done him a world of good playing a wonderful full year in the SANFL, he nows goes into 2009 full of confidence, and hopefully will play the full year with the crows in the forward pocket.

can i just ask why Collingwood & Hawthorn are allowed 6 selections? I thouight you were only allowed two at a time!

can some one post the rules on how many you can have and so on?
I think the rules were that you could only sign two per year, but you could have up to six at any one time, because the scholarships are longer than a year.

can i just ask why Collingwood & Hawthorn are allowed 6 selections? I thouight you were only allowed two at a time!

can some one post the rules on how many you can have and so on?

Interesting that quite a few clubs have gone from 1, to 2 and then 3+ over the 2007, 08 and 09 scholarship years. Under the rules you can have up to 6 kids at anyone time, with Sydney allowed 9.
From the AFL's SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM Booklet released in 2006 and all other stuff on the scholarship go to;

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4710-0-0-0&sID=55526

RULES & REGULATIONS

d. NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS
For 2006, Clubs are able to sign a maximum of two (2) scholarship players each (mandated quota of one). Each year going forward Clubs can sign a further (2) (mandate quota of one) with a maximum number at any one time of 6.

I would love to know the AFL is going to include Canberra in the scholarship program.

It doesn't look like anyone from the ACT is going to make it to the draft this year. That will make the score just one rookie draftee in twelve years. Just how bad do things have to get before we will be considered in need of more development and scholarships?

The Riverina has the Murray Bushrangers/TAC.
Sydney and everywhere else in NSW have the scholarship scheme.

The ACT gets zip. Maybe we should team up with Tassie????
AFL TAS/ACT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know anythng about Harrison Lee (Richmond) :)

Grew up playing footy until he moved to sydney when he was about ten, started playing rugby did real well then injurys forced him to quit. Picked up footy again and loved it as he stands at about 6'6". boards up in sydney cos his family moved back down here. Dont know if he will play AFL though but he's ****ing massive

I think the rules were that you could only sign two per year, but you could have up to six at any one time, because the scholarships are longer than a year.
What gets me is that I have seen 3 news articles of Collingwood signing 4 NSW players... all since July. So unless you signed them last year and only just announced them, thats more than 2 a year.

This is unless the rules are to take a different meaning.. aka you can sign 2 in 2006 then 4 in 2007 and 6 in 2008.. but then that wouldn't make much sense.. would it?

I would love to know the AFL is going to include Canberra in the scholarship program.

It doesn't look like anyone from the ACT is going to make it to the draft this year. That will make the score just one rookie draftee in twelve years. Just how bad do things have to get before we will be considered in need of more development and scholarships?

The Riverina has the Murray Bushrangers/TAC.
Sydney and everywhere else in NSW have the scholarship scheme.

The ACT gets zip. Maybe we should team up with Tassie????
AFL TAS/ACT
It is an NSW/ACT scholarship. Maybe no Canberra players have been deemed good enough so far?

Kaine Stevens is from Quenbeyan and has got into the AIS AFL academy and also got the Mike Fitzpatrick scholarship ( AFL players Assoc) so haven't missed out entirely. I think the Riverina miss out too. Areas like Wagga don't get NSW scholarships and are definitely too far away for bushrangers so not just ACT miss out. The only NSW kids really to play for Bushies are those on the border or a bit out such as this years Josh Bryce Jeriderie, Kade Klemke around Culcairn/Henty and Josh Hamilton Culcairn/Holbrook area.

It is an NSW/ACT scholarship. Maybe no Canberra players have been deemed good enough so far?

Nah, the ACT is definitely excluded from the eligible area at the moment.

In terms of the number of scholarships allowed, I think they recently relaxed the rules to allow a larger number. But they also made it entirely optional (it used to be compulsory for each club to offer at least one scholarship).

What gets me is that I have seen 3 news articles of Collingwood signing 4 NSW players... all since July. So unless you signed them last year and only just announced them, thats more than 2 a year.

This is unless the rules are to take a different meaning.. aka you can sign 2 in 2006 then 4 in 2007 and 6 in 2008.. but then that wouldn't make much sense.. would it?

The rules were that you could only sign two per year, but then the AFL opened it up so teams could sign more.

Jeremy Kirkwood from Queanbeyan.
Has been playing senior footy since mid last year as a 16 year old, played in GF so it wasn't just for some exposure.
Played 18 RAMS this year when not playing senior footy again this year.
I think clubs would look if he was eligble.:thumbsu:

Surely the AFL are scrapping this scheme as of next year?

Western Sydney will get pummelled badly enough...but without even having the right to reserve the best young home grown talent. Hmmm.

Kaine Stevens from Queanbeyan.
AIS scholarship holder, surely would be looked at.
Tyler Stevens his older brother.
Went to TTP at under 16 level, found out ACT was not going to be involved and was offered a Rugby scholarship which he took. This year he made Australian under 19 side having only played for 3 years, but the scholarship might have helped.
David Coward from Eastlake.
Playing local under 18's as a 15 year old and performed very well.
Jason Tutt from Ainslie.
Played RAMS 16's last year and made senior debut.
Not playing at all now as he is in Australian under 19 baseball side and on a baseball scholarship.
Troy Tak from Tuggeranong.
Been playing seniors since 15.
Ben Cleaver from Tuggeranong.
Played RAMS and seniors for last 2 years.

Now I'm not saying all these guys would get one but surely if this area was eligble clubs would have looked seriously at thes boys and probably others.

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW Scholarship Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Back