Review NTH v GC Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Scott is pumping games into BMac with an eye to the future. I just wish he'd do the same with Wood, Dumont and Garner (when he's back up and running)
That's a cop out IMO Bill. 9 days is 2 days more than enough to recover and regroup.
And we started flat in Perth too, so its not just the perth trip, its happened nearly every week. Massive concern.
Time for reputations and experience to be put aside and players to be selected on form. Can't keep accepting mediocrity when Brad told us all we were going to be an elite football club. Well we ain't anywhere near that.

Yesterday highlighted many glaring deficiencies that we just can't overlook anymore.

1. Poor disposal
2. Poor decision making
3. Panic
4. Clueless, dumb football
5. Slow and small
6. Not Clean

Thankfully they are easily fixed.

In: Swallow, Wells, Wood, Nahas, Dumont

Out: Grima, Adams, Gibson, Firitto, Bastinac

Some just rested, some just for a reminder that senior players need to be better.

Lining up like this for Brisbane:

Atley - Tippett - Hansen
Mullet - Thompson - McDonald
Dal - Ben10 - McKenzie
Black - Petrie - Ziebell
Thomas - Daw - Harvey
Goldstein - Dumont - Wells
Nahas Greenwood Wood
Sub: Swallow

Em: Harper Garner Delaney

We'll be fine.

glaring deficiencies from 5 years ago, not much has changed.

In: Swallow, Wells, Wood, Nahas, Dumont

Out: Grima, Adams, Gibson, Firitto, Bastinac

Some just rested, some just for a reminder that senior players need to be better.

Lining up like this for Brisbane:

Atley - Tippett - Hansen
Mullet - Thompson - McDonald
Dal - Ben10 - McKenzie
Black - Petrie - Ziebell
Thomas - Daw - Harvey
Goldstein - Dumont - Wells
Nahas Greenwood Wood
Sub: Swallow

Em: Harper Garner Delaney
Are you still drunk from last night? (not that I'd blame you)

Our putrid first quarters remind me a lot of how Port played last year, giving up early leads then coming back or falling short. However this year Port seem to have ironed out their performances.
There is no doubt this game was lost in the first quarter. Whilst we threatened to come back we were playing catch up footy all day and considering we had freo in perth and they had a walkover vs GWS last week it was always going to be a struggle.
Having said that if Levi's goal squeezes in and we finally take the lead it could have been a different ball game. The Dixon free kick was also a rmomentum shifter and 18 points at 3 quarter time was going to be too much to overcome.
The end margin was the result of players being forced forward and leaving our defense exposed. So not reading too much into the final margin.

I suspect Scott is pumping games into BMac with an eye to the future. I just wish he'd do the same with Wood, Dumont and Garner (when he's back up and running)

And we started flat in Perth too, so its not just the perth trip, its happened nearly every week. Massive concern.
Time for reputations and experience to be put aside and players to be selected on form. Can't keep accepting mediocrity when Brad told us all we were going to be an elite football club. Well we ain't anywhere near that.

Then I'd suggest he's pumping them into the wrong player, McKenzie ain't up to it, nice left foot kick in space sure, but that's about it, not hard enough, not quick enough, not big enough, not nasty enough. Next!

Then I'd suggest he's pumping them into the wrong player, McKenzie ain't up to it, nice left foot kick in space sure, but that's about it, not hard enough, not quick enough, not big enough, not nasty enough. Next!

19 games.

Are you still drunk from last night? (not that I'd blame you)

Not drunk, just looking for scapegoats.

And all I can come up with is the blokes who are oldish, who repeatedly are poor in our losses.

Gibbo had 30 yesterday with no assists. 26 uncontested possessions without an assist.

This must be some sort of record.

Adams & Grima are poor, great, poor in consecutive weeks. Fumble, panic, take stupid options.

Firitto was Firitto, he's been good but didn't set the tone as he should.

And Basti needs a rocket, head isn't in the game at the moment... Looks slow.

I don't like making wholesale changes but we are slow, lack X factor & spark and we need to change this to avoid being another middle of the road irrelevance.

and? doesn't mean you continue to play players in the seniors just to get games into them, fair enough if we are a developing side like saints etc but players need to earn spot that is the whole problem.

Old mate JR has written off McKenzie. That post up there is tantamount to "delist".

While I agree McKenzie has to earn his spot, I think he will, and will be a good player for us. None of this delist bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo had 30 yesterday with no assists. 26 uncontested possessions without an assist.

One of the most important players in our side. Won't be dropped.

Adams & Grima are poor, great, poor in consecutive weeks. Fumble, panic, take stupid options.

Part of the larger problem, which is inconsistency and complacency. One or both should be dropped, but who do you play in their spots?

Warming MacMillan's spot.

Wholeheartedly agree.

19 games.

Whilst true and no doubt should be taken into account, I have been very underwhelmed by McKenzie on these games.

It is very difficult to make it with just one talent - which appears for him to kick sweetly when in space. Doesn't seem to offer anything else, and considering he is slow he does not find space too often. He needs to work on other parts of his game, and quickly.

He is very lucky to be playing AFL IMHO.

McKenzie will be fine. We just need better footballers in now. Feels like we're still in the rebuilding stage when we're carrying a 15 disposal a game midfielder. Once Wells and Swallow are back I'd be happier to see him in the 2s with occasional stints as sub. He's come a long way in a year but still not far enough if we want to be playing finals.

Our issues are bigger than individual player performances. Dropping a player here and there is not going to resolve anything.

Not drunk, just looking for scapegoats.

And all I can come up with is the blokes who are oldish, who repeatedly are poor in our losses.

This must be some sort of record.

I don't like making wholesale changes but we are slow, lack X factor & spark and we need to change this to avoid being another middle of the road irrelevance.
Why spare Boomer, Petrie, Wells (I know he's injured) then? The hallmark of this team is that most of our players are poor in losses. Only looking at 3 out of the 7 games is going to give you a skewed form line

Remove this Banner Ad

Review NTH v GC Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back