Review NTH v GC Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also probably doesn't mean as much to some people as they may not value it or see it on the field, but our one percenters, the acts that went a long way in getting us wins over Swans and Freo, have improved significantly since last year from 38.3 (dead last) to 51.6 (8th) on average.

We also average 67.9 (8th) tackles this year as opposed to 58.6 (15th) last year. I just think we are a better, more rounded team than last year, yes lacking a bit offensively, but I don't think it will take us very long to click again.

Last edited:
You can tell in some (not all) of the games already that we have increased our pressure and ability to cover more space defensively as opposed to last year. You can see this from the lower scoring efficiency of our opposition this year.

In spite of the fact that we concede on average the 2nd most I50's at 56.7 per game, even after the GC game we concede 80.7 points per game.
Last year we conceded 49.4 I50's per game yet conceded 87.7 ppg. That to me suggests an improvement defensively. Remember, they're still learning with only having one preseason to really focus on this style so far.

I admit we've lost a bit of our attacking flair, but our forward structures haven't had a chance to settle at any stage of the season thus far. My main concern is in the middle and the way in which we concede clearance upon clearance and hence I50's in succession. I'll reserve my judgement until we get a fully fit Ziebell, Wells, and the captain up and running.

To be honest, I look at the Port, the Swans, the Freo and even the WB game and think, no way our team last year would have won all of those games. Especially with important top 5 players missing. Heck, we would've probably been run over by Port, wilted against the Swans and Freo, and dropped the WB game if we were the same team last year. That's just my opinion though and of course everyone sees it differently.

And sure we were impressive at points last year, but that fast, free flowing style of play can only get you so far and opens us up so badly on the rebound if we get it wrong, and we're a team who gets it wrong a fair bit through decision making/skills.

Not sure I agree with all that, but I respect the opinion and thanks for the reply :thumbsu:

There is no doubt we have won games we wouldn't have won last year. Equally though, we have been hammered three times to good/average teams that imo wouldn't have happened have last year so to me that evens that out to a degree.

One thing I do definitely agree on is lets evaluate further once we become close to full strength (in the event that happens), as most teams will struggle at times with two star mids out with injury.

Not sure I agree with all that, but I respect the opinion and thanks for the reply :thumbsu:

There is no doubt we have won games we wouldn't have won last year. Equally though, we have been hammered three times to good/average teams that imo wouldn't have happened have last year so to me that evens that out to a degree.

One thing I do definitely agree on is lets evaluate further once we become close to full strength (in the event that happens), as most teams will struggle at times with two star mids out with injury.

We lost to Carlton (9th) Adelaide twice (11th) Brisbane (12th) West Coast (13th) and Gold Coast (14th) last year. We played some scintillating football but don't forget we also displayed some really putrid stuff at times and lost to below average teams several times. Anyway, I still think we find ourselves in a good position currently, lets hope we can consolidate after the bye.

On a good weekend I'm "we're solid finals contenders" to bad weekends where I'm "shit are we even in the rebuilding phase". I've just shared a bottle with Mrs Lim. who is smart enough not to be posting but I haven't a clue as to where we'll finish this year. Gonna turn up each week and barrack my heart out as per the last 60 years.

We lost to Carlton (9th) Adelaide twice (11th) Brisbane (12th) West Coast (13th) and Gold Coast (14th) last year. We played some scintillating football but don't forget we also displayed some really putrid stuff at times and lost to below average teams several times. Anyway, I still think we find ourselves in a good position currently, lets hope we can consolidate after the bye.

Yes we dropped those games, but ill be honest and say the three losses this year are worse than any of those losses last year. We were completely uncompetitive against Bombers and Pies and game over at quarter time, and for 1st and last quarter completely uncompetitive against the Suns.

I know what you are saying and we were poor at times last year, but i'd say our 'worst' so to speak (not including last quarters last year to drop games bizarrely) this year has been very concerning.

But yep, agree with your bold for sure that our position is still ok despite the nitty gritty etc.....so if we are in fact good enough can still consolidate for sure and set up a positive season.

I agree with everything said except for this.

You don't buy memberships when your team is winning/looking the goods.

You buy memberships because you are a loyal supporter and will turn up to every match in Melbourne to give the boys the support they need.

It's been a big problem with our club. If we lose a couple, f*** all people turn up. This gives the connotation that our supporters aren't loyal, do not care and are only there for the wins.

I work my ass off over summer to have enough money for a membership and to attend every game possible during the season. Year after year I do the same because I am loyal and I truly care about the club whether we win or not.

Apologies NM Design, I should have clarified my statement a little better. I buy a membership every year and I have been a member for about 20 years now. When the box on campaign was on I kicked in $1000 for the Silver membership and I have barely missed a game in the last few years (including 2006 and 2009 when we were really down). This year I bought an extra membership. Just because. No real reason. Just to show the club I believed in them. My normal membership is a given and the second was just an added extra because I couldn't think of a better way than to show the club I was really behind them, suffice to turning up week after week, regardless of who we are playing and how we are travelling.

What I actually meant by my statement (according to my publicist and legal team :D) was that I was disappointed my faith wasn't being rewarded with on field endeavour after all that was talked about in the off season. There were several stages yesterday when players were disinterested in the game, not chasing or manning up and that hurt to watch. I don't care if we roll up and get belted week after week, as long as we have a dip. Its when we don't have a dip that "Grinds my gears" as Peter Griffin would say. Either way I will be at the game.

But yes I 100% agree that supporters should buy a membership every year regardless. :)

Where do you think we should and will finish this year?

I had us 6th at the start of the year. I think we will finish around there.

We won't sack him on a 6th place finish - nor we should.

People put too much into the coaching role. Yestderday was on the players.
Fair enough mate, maybe I'm being far too emotional but I struggle to see how it's not the coaches fault after 5 years at the helm. Rightly or wrongly the fact is the buck stops at the coach when it comes to the footy team.

Sorry mate, disagree that this is a feasible excuse. 7 days is plenty of time to get over it, especially when you are a side said to be a top-four contender and are playing a side who has never won at Etihad.
The saints defeated essendon. This side lost by 145 points on the weekend. How many games do vic sides need to lose before you think coming back from wa is a factor?

The saints defeated essendon. This side lost by 145 points on the weekend. How many games do vic sides need to lose before you think coming back from wa is a factor?

Mate, Freo play 11 times after travelling.

They played in a grand final last year.

Travelling is a cop out, especially after a 9 day break. We 100% should have won on the weekend.

Mate, Freo play 11 times after travelling.

They played in a grand final last year.

Travelling is a cop out, especially after a 9 day break. We 100% should have won on the weekend.
Conditioned. The stats don't lie.

We got in at 6am last sat.

You can disagree - my opinion won't change - especially as teams keep losing.

I just remembered a positive. In the pregame chat on 774, Stan Alves said it was his grandson's first game of football - and he was in the crowd in a North Melbourne jumper with his dad. Nice to hear (even though I didn't care for a lot that Stan had to say later on.)

Conditioned. The stats don't lie.

We got in at 6am last sat.

You can disagree - my opinion won't change - especially as teams keep losing.

I have no doubt that travel has an effect.

We should have won on the weekend. No two ways about it. A 9 day break, a game on our home deck against a side that we owed one to.

They needed to do better than 7 goals to 1 in the first quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt that travel has an effect.

We should have won on the weekend. No two ways about it. A 9 day break, a game on our home deck against a side that we owed one to.

They needed to do better than 7 goals to 1 in the first quarter.
Agree we should have won.

We are still in a good position after 7 games.

Agree we should have won.

We are still in a good position after 7 games.

We are ok, still in the log jam of thereabouts teams though.

We need to sieze opportunity when it presents itself.

I just want to see hard accountable 4 quarter footy every week.

Soooo... worth watching the replay? I was at a wedding and didn't actually see the game. I like to watch most but not sure if I want to put myself through this one.
stick to your joyous union of a couple, a festival of love.

let this one get dusty, not good to watch in blue and white. serious.

Soooo... worth watching the replay? I was at a wedding and didn't actually see the game. I like to watch most but not sure if I want to put myself through this one.

GR's goals video should suffice: very few highlights for North outside of it, and even in here we look poor (the goal beginning at 4:30, for example).

I wish that was the case with the umpires. Not the true cause behind the loss but gees it was piss poor.
Definitely not the cause for the loss, Gold Coast to their credit played much better than us - their first quarter they were scary with how good they were and that's where we lost it.

But the shithouse umpiring robbed us of momentum by effecting 4 or 5 goals.

2 goals to Gazza in the last from terrible free kick decisions

The free against spud in the marking contest where Black marked 20 metres out directly in front of goal.

I think it was Lynch in the last who marked, played on and was tackled but no holding the ball.

Majak one out in the goal square clearly being held as the ball is coming in. If it had been Cloke it would have been a free kick every day and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Definitely not the cause for the loss, Gold Coast to their credit played much better than us - their first quarter they were scary with how good they were and that's where we lost it.

But the shithouse umpiring robbed us of momentum by effecting 4 or 5 goals.

2 goals to Gazza in the last from terrible free kick decisions

The free against spud in the marking contest where Black marked 20 metres out directly in front of goal.

I think it was Lynch in the last who marked, played on and was tackled but no holding the ball.

Majak one out in the goal square clearly being held as the ball is coming in. If it had been Cloke it would have been a free kick every day and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Dixon marking contest, l just slowly closed my laptop and walked away to 'vent' at a punching bag.

There are some easily pleased punters on here. Wish some of you guys were my boss.
It's may and we are in the 8 with a very soft last 7 weeks. We still get Brisbane twice, Crows twice and Melbourne twice.

I just refuse to hit the panic button. Long season and we just lost out 1st game we should have won.

It's may and we are in the 8 with a very soft last 7 weeks. We still get Brisbane twice, Crows twice and Melbourne twice.

I just refuse to hit the panic button. Long season and we just lost out 1st game we should have won.

We have lost 3 games to teams we should be able to be right with by 30+ points.

The solution to close losses shouldn't be to lose by 5 goals.

Something needs to happen here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review NTH v GC Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back