Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

as a kid the Pretender was peak dad’s show to me, something he was personally very into and tended to watch alone. Mum’s show around that same time would’ve been Heartbeat I guess.

Arcade on Ten - lasted about 3 weeks

Channel 10s biggest cringe show ever would have been a 2004 drama series called 'The Cooks'.

The Cooks was intended to replace the enormously popular dramedy 'The Secret Life Of Us' which after three very good years in 2001, 2002 and 2003 had met an unexpectedly premature end, falling off a cliff earlier in the year when restructured so much that the 2004 series felt like a spin-off, a very bad spin-off losing thousands of viewers by the week and which was taken off the air and euthanized.

While obviously Ten wanted to promote their new show, something went very wrong with their promotions for 'The Cooks'. The many adverts for the show appeared fawning and self-congratulatory, as well as seemingly talking down to potential viewers. This showed, and on its debut night very few watched 'The Cooks' - and those who did mostly hated the show - and it was taken off air with remaining episodes screened around midnight in the summer non-ratings period, never to be heard of again.

Talking about cringe TV, reality show 'The Farmer Wants A Wife' - where a single farmer has a choice of potential brides and rather than picking the tomboy mechanic who works with agricultural machinery, the country vet, the girl from a regional city who has a degree in agricultural science or a farmer's daughter who grew up doing farm chores for two hours every morning before school and instead picks the influencer from Vaucluse or Toorak and then wonders six months later why things didn't work out and he is all alone again - is hardly obscure.

It did however have a hiatus in the mid 2010s and during that time a revised version of the show aired called 'When Love Comes To Town'. It had a similar premise to TFWAW, only it featured a group of single women travelling in a bus to regional towns in various parts of rural Australia to meet single men, which included farmers but also other professions. This changed format only lasted one short season and was quickly forgotten. Does anyone remember this show?

Chips was cool
bit of a rehashed formula cop show but all good stuff

Eric Estrada was a voice actor for Sealab 2020
which was a 100% improvement on the original

Chips was quality primetime viewing when I was a kid back in the early 80s.

I didn't mind watching Hart to Hart back then either, another quality primetime early 80s show.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flash Gordon- 60s (?) TV show (not animation)

Dukes of Hazard wasn't obscure, but I loved it back in the day.

Lano & Woodley, sit com, circa 1997.

In school holidays in 80s, the ABC used to show a heap of cartoons - such as Squidly Didly, Quickdraw McGraw, Atom Ant etc etc. While some clips are on youtube, there really doesn't appear to be any channel or streaming service showing them (at least not available in Australia).

I remember watching a random US sit com after school in mid 80s, on I think ch 10. From a Google search, I think it was called "What's Happrning Now"!!

Zoo Family, mid 80s, I think it was Rebecca Gibney's first show in Australia.

TV TV - ABC show. James Valentine was one of the hosts I think. 6pm weeknights, 90s.

Super quiz - late 80s. Ch 10, with Mike Walsh and Deborah Hutton.

Flash Gordon- 60s (?) TV show (not animation)

Dukes of Hazard wasn't obscure, but I loved it back in the day.

Lano & Woodley, sit com, circa 1997.

In school holidays in 80s, the ABC used to show a heap of cartoons - such as Squidly Didly, Quickdraw McGraw, Atom Ant etc etc. While some clips are on youtube, there really doesn't appear to be any channel or streaming service showing them (at least not available in Australia).

I remember watching a random US sit com after school in mid 80s, on I think ch 10. From a Google search, I think it was called "What's Happrning Now"!!

Zoo Family, mid 80s, I think it was Rebecca Gibney's first show in Australia.

TV TV - ABC show. James Valentine was one of the hosts I think. 6pm weeknights, 90s.

Super quiz - late 80s. Ch 10, with Mike Walsh and Deborah Hutton.
Loved the ABC toons back in the 70’s

My favourite was Secret Squirrel

Remove this Banner Ad

Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back