Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah My Favorite Martian is arguably more iconic than obscure, early example of a popular period type and been syndicated a lot over the years.

seen a bit of Pretender’s Andrea Parker on ER recently, the unflappable cool sales rep Linda that Doug Ross casually knocked around with in the early seasons. Could def see that actress being a good fit for the strong women characters of the SciFi tv of that era, espec recurring/supports, has that vibe.

I only recently heard of this show, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a mid-1990s New Zealand sitcom called 'Melody Rules'? Set in Christchurch (although the show never once leaves the house), it was a comedy about a young woman named Melody looking after her teenage sister and brother after their mother moves overseas, with the brother's loser friend, Melody's wild party girl best friend and the weird guy next door rounding out the cast.

Three decades on it is considered one of the worst sitcoms ever made in any country in any era, hated both in New Zealand and any other countries where it was screened, which apparently included Australia although I don't remember it. The show was doomed from the start, with decisions such as the straight-laced character of Melody being played by a comedy actress, and the role of the wild best friend played by an actress whose experience lay in serious drama - and things only went downhill from there.

So dismal is the show's legacy that it is apparently used as a joke in New Zealand for things that are failures, and was the subject of an online documentary about just how a show that bad could ever go into production, much less run two series. Two of the cast apparently moved overseas to escape the legacy of the show which tarnished all those involved with it in front of the camera and off it. One of the most bizarre stories was from the teenage actor who played the son's slacker friend; apparently while the show was in production a group of youths one day recognized him at a shopping center as being from the show, chased him and beat him up.

And I thought our Trans-Tasman cousins were tough on the New Zealand Warriors!

It’s from 2011, but Channel 7 is screening on the main channel, around midnight, a show called The Event. Don’t know if anyone else has seen it but unfortunately it was cancelled after one season.

It’s from 2011, but Channel 7 is screening on the main channel, around midnight, a show called The Event. Don’t know if anyone else has seen it but unfortunately it was cancelled after one season.
I thought this was actually going to be "The Main Event" repeats, but sure enough it's not.

It's a wonder they don't put shows such as The Main Event (ch7), and Don't Forget Your Toothbrush (ch9) on one of their channels.

I suspect there is a problem with rights. I think with The Main Event, the Producer was the former soccer player Craig Johnston, so I assume that with these shows the production companies aren't agreeable to it.

Purely guessing though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be great for The Main Event to be back. Think it was how Australia first met Larry Emdur

I wish I hadn't met him, every tv show he has been on I avoid, it says a lot about Australian tv now that he won a Gold Logie.

I think he started out as host of the illustrious "Family Double Dare".
Correct he started on Family Double Dare before moving on to Main Event, and then The Price Is Right.

Which meant in the space of about 3 years he hosted game shows on 10, 7 and 9

The second incarnation of Price is Right with Emdur (ch7) was a horrible cheap version, but his previous stint hosting it (on ch9?) from memory, was good.

Ian Turpie will always be the host that I associate the show with, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back