October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

inxs88

Senior List
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Mayne: retired
Greenwood: retired
Madgen: delist
Thomas: Free agent/delist
Sier: trade (Hawks and Roos are keen)
Cox: trade
Chugg: 50:50
Sidebottom: trade (Gold Coast could use him)
Lynch: trade (Hawks and Swans are keen)

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee
Tom Lynch (Crows) Delisted Free Agent
Begg: Mid season draft added
Johnson: Mid season draft added
Ginnivan: elevated rookie
Matt Crouch or Jack Billings

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?

I've been big on KPP and yes we need at least 1 forward and another back with skills & pace..... but over the last few weeks what has been clearly evident is that we need a stack of skilful strong mids that win the ball out of the middle, do that and you'll always have a chance to score.

No chance.

He’s played 18 games so far this season, it’ll likely be 19. Clubs never delist < 50 game players who have played > 16 games in the current season.

He’s still improving and has had a decent second half of the year.

He’s a keeper.

Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?
Begg and Johnson are on the rookie list. I don't see why we'd want to elevate them to the primary list, when we're not likely to have many spots available. The same applies to Ginnivan. As long as he's happy to stay on the rookie list we shouldn't need to upgrade him. I really hope Max Lynch stays, however.

Full list of out-of-contract players …

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired
Tohill
Sier
Cameron
Chugg
Ginnivan
Madgen
Rantall
Noble
Thomas
Cox
Lynch
Pendlebury
Wilson
Ruscoe

Looking at that list you’d think Rantall might be unlucky or at the very least be dropped back to the rookie list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Begg and Johnson are on the rookie list. I don't see why we'd want to elevate them to the primary list, when we're not likely to have many spots available. The same applies to Ginnivan. As long as he's happy to stay on the rookie list we shouldn't need to upgrade him. I really hope Max Lynch stays, however.
Noble would need to be elevated from the rookie list.

What I think will happen …

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired
Tohill - Delisted (Reasoning - doesn’t project to be an AFL footy player, time to get started on his med degree)
Sier - Traded / Delisted (Reasoning - not getting selected, clearly out of favour at the club)
Cameron - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it, 3 years tough ask under a new coach)
Chugg - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - better off developing him more than getting in another rookie)
Ginnivan - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it. Takes him to the end of his rookie period)
Madgen - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Rantall - delisted (Reasoning - struggled)
Noble - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Thomas - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - need to retain forward line experience, even if just for backup)
Cox - traded / delisted (Reasoning - clearly out of favour)
Lynch - traded (Reasoning - will leave for better opportunities)
Pendlebury - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - Wright has already talked about this)
Wilson - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - with the AFL giving rookies a 4th year, may as well give Wilson another crack at it)
Ruscoe - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)

Noble would need to be elevated from the rookie list.
The AFL have recently approved a change to the rookie list rules (thanks to Covid), with players allowed to spend a fourth year on the r/l, so Noble should be able to stay there next year as well if we want him to.

The AFL have recently approved a change to the rookie list rules (thanks to Covid), with players allowed to spend a fourth year on the r/l, so Noble should be able to stay there next year as well if we want him to.
Was that all rookes, or just Cat B?

What I think will happen …

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired
Tohill - Delisted (Reasoning - doesn’t project to be an AFL footy player, time to get started on his med degree)
Sier - Traded / Delisted (Reasoning - not getting selected, clearly out of favour at the club)
Cameron - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it, 3 years tough ask under a new coach)
Chugg - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - better off developing him more than getting in another rookie)
Ginnivan - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it. Takes him to the end of his rookie period)
Madgen - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Rantall - delisted (Reasoning - struggled)
Noble - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Thomas - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - need to retain forward line experience, even if just for backup)
Cox - traded / delisted (Reasoning - clearly out of favour)
Lynch - traded (Reasoning - will leave for better opportunities)
Pendlebury - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - Wright has already talked about this)
Wilson - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - with the AFL giving rookies a 4th year, may as well give Wilson another crack at it)
Ruscoe - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)

Would much rather take a punt on another rookie than go again with Chugg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs:

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee

Thoughts?
I doubt we ware delisting Magden. Lynch is already out of our reach as is Billings and Crouch because we don't have the cap space and to honest you have mentioned some fairly ordinary players there as targets

I doubt we ware delisting Magden. Lynch is already out of our reach as is Billings and Crouch because we don't have the cap space and to honest you have mentioned some fairly ordinary players there as targets

Lynch out of our reach? The Crows one (not Tigers). He is a delisted free agent and shall come cheap (eg. $250,000). M Crouch is an ex All-Australian and excellent accumulator and Billings may have under-whelmed but is 25, skilful and plenty of upside.

Of those uncontracted:

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired

Tohill - retain - trending upwards in a position where he still hasn't had a preseason training.
Sier - trade/delist - writing on the wall
Cameron - retain/trade - still not convinced we can cover his deficiencies or quiet patches in matches. Will likely be retained, but if the right deal came along I'd take it.
Chugg - retain - looked like a one year delisting, but showed enough improvement
Ginnivan - retain - enough said
Madgen - retain - played most games this year, at worst good depth
Rantall - retain/rookie - 2 covid interrupted years would be harsh to cut him since he hasn't had a proper run
Noble - retain/trade - has shown enough to be retained, however if the right deal came along I'd take it.
Thomas - trade/retain - can't see the club moving him on, but I also think there's a fair chance he'll be outside the best 22 at the end of 2022.
Cox - trade/retain - writing on the wall, potential to remain if Lynch goes. With Lynch having more trade value and less versatility he'd be the one I'd trade
Lynch - trade/retain - less versatile, more trade value than Cox
Pendlebury - not even a question, his call
Wilson - retain - similar to Rantall
Ruscoe - retain - moving to defence may have saved his spot

Almost certain to be out:
One of Cameron/Cox/Lynch
Sier
Greenwood
Mayne

Maybe:
Rantall
Thomas

If the right deal came:
Noble
Cameron

Yep, can't see us elevating any rookies we don't absolutely have to. Might promote some during supplementary or mid-season draft periods if we retain a couple of vacancies post ND and RD's.

Outs:

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee

Thoughts?
Chugg is a stay for me, he hasn’t shown much but he hasn’t had an opportunity either.

Due to the dire situation with list management you’ve outlined we need to be bold trading Sidey out is a good move. Adam’s not so much, he is heart and soul player, lifts in finals and does things others fear to. Put some class around him and he’ll be fine.

The big move I would make is trading Grundy, we are paying too much for him our game style does not capitalise on his fine work. As a result I would keep Lynch.

Degoey can stay if he can take a reasonable contract, he can’t kick to save himself and those players don’t deserve top dollar.

Pendles to take a massive pay cut also. I think those changes even without Grundy leaving is enough to secure a top end free agent or trade for quality youth.

Dib was impressive and should be drafted as part of our nga rights…

I don’t agree with any if your free agents though. Lynch is too old, and we aren’t pushing for premierships just yet, I’d prefer to play one if the Irish or Kelly…McMahon. Crouch and Billing’s are not the characters you want around the club.

I'm not sure why people are so desperate to add NQR (and in some cases expensive NQR) types from other clubs like Lynch, Billings and Couch. They're all a pass from me.

Or why they're so keen to trade away any of the half decent experience we have like Sidey and Grundy. Also a pass from me.

Last edited:
Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts.

We’re a club that’s going to be finishing 16th or thereabouts this season. We’ve got a stack of players on our list who will have played sub 15 games. We’re not going to be Premiership fancies anytime soon. We’re hardly the profile of a club that’ll pay overs to attract experienced players, and why would we, that doesn’t really work. And as for any Victorian players who want to come home, we’d have to be one of the least attractive Victorian clubs ATM unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and get Clarkson.

That’s not the profile of a club that offloads its long serving vice captain. We need his experience snd leadership around the joint for the younger players. Can’t see us being able to buy better what Steele gives us for cheaper, so why would we even entertain the idea?

Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range,

If he wants to go elsewhere for opportunities, and earn more than we can justifiably pay him, then I wouldn’t begrudge him of that …

… but from comments he’s made I’ve got the impression he’d prefer to stay and I’d keep him. He looks to be a good clubman and somebody who brings value to the locker-room well above and beyond his value on the paddock. And despite having played only 3 AFL games, he’s shown himself to be a decent backup to Grundy. Who else have we got? Cox is likely gone. Cameron is already in the starting 22. We need Roughead in the backline. Begg is only beginning his AFL career. Madgen is not a ruckman.

Lynch is still only 22 years old. If we can convince him to sign a 2 year deal to be a backup for Grundy in a team that’s going to be down the ladder for the next few years then that’d be a big win for us. Get him to work harder on his forward craft in the off-season.

That’s not the profile of a club that offloads its long serving vice captain. We need his experience and leadership around the joint for the younger players. Can’t see us being able to buy better what Steele gives us for cheaper, so why would we even entertain the idea?
He's had an off year and managed to find himself dead drunk tied naked to a pole, all on a bloated contract! how is that leadership? And given our situation any kid with a chance of being around for the next window is a better bet than him.

If he wants to go elsewhere for opportunities, and earn more than we can justifiably pay him, then I wouldn’t begrudge him of that …

… but from comments he’s made I’ve got the impression he’d prefer to stay and I’d keep him. He looks to be a good clubman and somebody who brings value to the locker-room well above and beyond his value on the paddock. And despite having played only 3 AFL games, he’s shown himself to be a decent backup to Grundy. Who else have we got? Cox is likely gone. Cameron is already in the starting 22. We need Roughead in the backline. Begg is only beginning his AFL career. Madgen is not a ruckman.

Lynch is still only 22 years old. If we can convince him to sign a 2 year deal to be a backup for Grundy in a team that’s going to be down the ladder for the next few years then that’d be a big win for us. Get him to work harder on his forward craft in the off-season.
Cox seems to have his papers stamped so that gives Lynch his opportunity - I've liked what I've seen from the small sample he's been allowed to show.

Remove this Banner Ad

October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back