October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

How many pieces do we need to give teams? We have given the Bulldogs Treloar on the cheap.

I am probably more ruthless in terms of letting people go than most on this board. Elliott is one of the few that actually has performed and is one of our few genuine match winners. Our best football is generally when Elliott plays well.

Absolutely agree - but he's not going to be part of the next premiership push and from a leadership perspective we will retain enough experience to not harm the overall list development. Also opens up more opportunities for the likes of Ginnivan / McCreery etc

Absolutely agree - but he's not going to be part of the next premiership push and from a leadership perspective we will retain enough experience to not harm the overall list development. Also opens up more opportunities for the likes of Ginnivan / McCreery etc

I would move on Cox, WHE, Steele, Callum Brown, Noble, Murphy, Keane, Thomas, Sier, Rantall before Elliott. That’s ten players plus trading Grundy. Then add Mayne and Greenwood retired. So thirteen potential changes to the list.

I would move on Cox, WHE, Steele, Callum Brown, Noble, Murphy, Keane, Thomas, Sier, Rantall before Elliott. That’s ten players plus trading Grundy. Then add Mayne and Greenwood retired. So thirteen potential changes to the list.
Agree again but Elliott has the currency with other clubs - if the club is looking at landing a young key position player Elliott is the logical choice.

Me too - but most of those arent work a cracker on the trade table. When your rebuilding you need to offer quality to get some quality coming back in. Sier, Cox might net us a 3rd rounder at best.

Sidey not going anywhere.

Me too - but most of those arent work a cracker on the trade table. When your rebuilding you need to offer quality to get some quality coming back in. Sier, Cox might net us a 3rd rounder at best.

Sidey not going anywhere.

Would happily make a few steak knives in a deal.

Purely hypothetical but we showed serious interest prior to him being drafted.

Grundy to the Suns for Rowell.

What would needed to be added to either side of the deal?

Where’s the trade Pendlebury talk?
Worth a 30-50 pick, maybe.

See Luke Hodge -> Brisbane, or Sam Mitchell -> WCE.

Those kind of trades don’t really bring in any value. It’s a goodwill gesture to allow the player to keep playing and get experience leading in a different environment. Both Hodge and Mitchell were the same age as Pendlebury is now when they were traded.

Impact is severely restricted by injury and form. And, as been used in other player discussions, not part of our next Premiership.

He is still close to our best, most damaging player. But putting that aside, his leadership and ‘on the job’ development for our young and emerging mids is worth far more than his value at the trade table as a 33 year old.

We have no draft picks after Nick Daicos is picked, so I think delisting and player turnover will be minimal. Certainly not 13 changes.

Out of the players listed above I can see Cox and Sier being delisted. The others will stay.

We have no draft picks after Nick Daicos is picked, so I think delisting and player turnover will be minimal. Certainly not 13 changes.

Out of the players listed above I can see Cox and Sier being delisted. The others will stay.

Ladder position wise, it could be the worst finish in the history of the club.

Need to be bolder with our list changes.

Ladder position wise, it could be the worst finish in the history of the club.

Need to be bolder with our list changes.

But that’s because a fair few players have around 0…15 games of experience …

Rantall
Bianco
Keane
Wilson
Lynch
Macrae
Kelly
Ruscoe
McInnis
Poulter
Murphy
McMahon
McCreery
Ginnivan
Chugg
Henry
Begg
Johnson
Tohill

This time next year many of those very same players will have around 15…30 games experience plus an extra pre-season under their belt.

Add to that the additional players in the sub 50 game category who are still learning their craft …

Quaynor
T.Brown
Noble
Cameron
Madgen

Surely that’s a list that’s projected to naturally get better?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon mate, give some better options please. We would need all 3 to benefit from that and I can't see us getting any of them. Our only options this year is for delisted free agents, we need a back up KPD like Shlensog and that's about all we will doing this year, hell, we don't even have Daicos points yet
Read the opening post again. None of T Lynch, Billings and M Crouch need any draft picks. Also the off-loading of Max Lynch, Cox, Sidebottom and Thomas would sufficiently generate the points for N Daicos and Dib etc...

Can't tell if facetious or not
Deadly serious.
Other long term players who also have “points on the board” are being talked up as disposable.
Why is Pendles sacrosanct?
His best is behind him. He is not part of the next Premiership. He needs to be in the conversation as what we can get for him. If Sidey is worth X to GC, what is a leader like Pendles worth to GC? I would expect more. So let’s go for it.

Read the opening post again. None of T Lynch, Billings and M Crouch need any draft picks. Also the off-loading of Max Lynch, Cox, Sidebottom and Thomas would sufficiently generate the points for N Daicos and Dib etc...
All 3 will demand a decent amount of money which we can not pay due to our salary cap, lynch might be half a chance but why would he come to us when he already has suiters who are still in contention. Off-Loading players Cox and thomas won't make a difference because their wages have already been factored in for up coming contracts to Moore and DeGoey. We won't be getting anyone this off season, especially players like lynch because we have 3 players we are trying to develop for that position.

He is still close to our best, most damaging player. But putting that aside, his leadership and ‘on the job’ development for our young and emerging mids is worth far more than his value at the trade table as a 33 year old.
His best is seen in maybe one or two 10 minute bursts during a game.
Amd of course his deserved reputation sees the media and Collingwood supporters think he has turned the game.
You put it succinctly, 33 years old.
Not part of our future.

Impact is severely restricted by injury and form. And, as been used in other player discussions, not part of our next Premiership.

It's a reasonable question... the same criteria being applied to others can equally be applied to Pendles.. but I'm not sure it's an idea that will take off...

It's a reasonable question... the same criteria being applied to others can equally be applied to Pendles.. but I'm not sure it's an idea that will take off...
Oh I know it won’t take off.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of those happy to put the current whipping boys on the chopping block.

Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Mayne: retired
Greenwood: retired
Madgen: delist
Thomas: Free agent/delist
Sier: trade (Hawks and Roos are keen)
Cox: trade
Chugg: 50:50
Sidebottom: trade (Gold Coast could use him)
Lynch: trade (Hawks and Swans are keen)

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee
Tom Lynch (Crows) Delisted Free Agent
Begg: Mid season draft added
Johnson: Mid season draft added
Ginnivan: elevated rookie
Matt Crouch or Jack Billings

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?
Interesting thread title.

It’s been the worst time to be rebuilding. Two years wasted in VFL just about. So many haven’t had a decent run.

Reduced list sizes cutting the amount of senior support they have in-game as well.

Definitely would be a heart breaker for some - I get that. But the club is bigger than any player, and he has in my opinion some real worth on the trade table to help build our list.

IMHO has some real value on the list helping to build our list.

IMHO has some real value on the list helping to build our list.
That's fine as long as it's for a packet of chips, money needs to go toward our future and the next window from here, he can pull a Hodgey if he wants the cash.

Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Mayne: retired
Greenwood: retired
Madgen: delist
Thomas: Free agent/delist
Sier: trade (Hawks and Roos are keen)
Cox: trade
Chugg: 50:50
Sidebottom: trade (Gold Coast could use him)
Lynch: trade (Hawks and Swans are keen)

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee
Tom Lynch (Crows) Delisted Free Agent
Begg: Mid season draft added
Johnson: Mid season draft added
Ginnivan: elevated rookie
Matt Crouch or Jack Billings

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?

I think your thoughts are thoughtful. But my hunch is you've overvalued all of our saleable players a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back