Noble Keep
Thomas Shop but probably keep
Cox Trade
Lynch Trade
Pendlebury Keep
Wilson Keep
Ruscoe Keep

*AdjacentArse Trade

Graham Wright surely has had a season to survey the playing list and come to terms with what is needed to correct our playing list shortfalls. Hopefully this occurs:

Outs:

Mayne: retired
Greenwood: retired
Madgen: delist
Thomas: Free agent/delist
Sier: trade (Hawks and Roos are keen)
Cox: trade
Chugg: 50:50
Sidebottom: trade (Gold Coast could use him)
Lynch: trade (Hawks and Swans are keen)

Ins to Primary List:

N Daicos
Dib (NGA)
Best available draftee
Tom Lynch (Crows) Delisted Free Agent
Begg: Mid season draft added
Johnson: Mid season draft added
Ginnivan: elevated rookie
Matt Crouch or Jack Billings

Sidey has been a great servant but he is a former sleek car that has 80% depreciated but would be a massive addition to the Gold Coast. If a 33 year old Shaun Higgins is worth pick 30 at last years trade period, Steele would have to be worth there or thereabouts. Lynch could snare a pick in the top 30-35 range, Cox a pick between 35-50 and Sier a pick in the 40-60 range. All valuable points for N Daicos, Dib and another late Draft pick. Tom Lynch's last fortnight with the Crows has shown what he can do when fit and be a delisted free agent, comes for free. His leadership for Henry and an otherwise young forward group including Ginnivan, McCreery, Bianco, Ruscoe etc.... would be great over the next 40 matches.

Salary cap wise, the $64 question is just how much that "hangover" described by Wright mid-year is. The 9 players above suggested for exiting would equate to approximately $3,000,000 off the salary cap. Would this allow the recruitment of a good B+ player at the $500-$600K range like Billings or Matty Crouch perhaps? Hopefully so. Our mid-field was routinely destroyed Saturday night from half-way through the 2nd quarter and Taylor Adams durability is a huge concern in 2022 and beyond. His never been able to last a full year invariably missing 4-6 matches a year between 21-27 years of age. That aside, adding some mature bodies like Lynch, Billings and/or M Crouch can only help and none require trading for.

Thoughts?

Big mistake to let Max Lynch leave.

I think Callum Brown will be lucky to stay on senior list…..ditto Rantall. Murphy is also under pressure. WHE should be under pressure.

In terms of cheap players, the Bulldogs seem to have decent depth. A couple may fall out from the tree.

I hope GW goes bang and really shakes the place up.

I am also tempted to put De Goey into the leadership group. Off field you have been given a fresh start, now do the same on field.

I feel like we'll see much less changeover than this. I don't think it would be particularly helpful shipping out experience (Sidebottom in the OP, Grundy in other posts) if we hire a truly new coach. Guys like Madgen and Chugg deserve another go around - Madgen for depth reasons, Chugg because he hasn't really had a go yet. I'd also try and keep Lynch on the cheap, doubt his market value has actually increased that much.

No interest in Matt Crouch or Jack Billings. Crouch is small outside mid who doesn't hit the scoreboard and Billings is even more outside! Billings is averaging less than 2 tackles a game this season... No thanks. I'd pursue one of Patrick Lipinski or Ed Richards from the Dogs, if not both.

Both those players you named, tick a lot of boxes.

PL - has a basketball background. Hine seems to like that.

ED - family history, Oakleigh chargers and is versatile.

Would be two good low profile additions to the team.

Didn't even realise Lipinski had a basketball background. May as well be a certainty then!

What I think will happen …

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired
Tohill - Delisted (Reasoning - doesn’t project to be an AFL footy player, time to get started on his med degree)
Sier - Traded / Delisted (Reasoning - not getting selected, clearly out of favour at the club)
Cameron - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it, 3 years tough ask under a new coach)
Chugg - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - better off developing him more than getting in another rookie)
Ginnivan - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it. Takes him to the end of his rookie period)
Madgen - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Rantall - delisted (Reasoning - struggled)
Noble - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)
Thomas - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - need to retain forward line experience, even if just for backup)
Cox - traded / delisted (Reasoning - clearly out of favour)
Lynch - traded (Reasoning - will leave for better opportunities)
Pendlebury - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - Wright has already talked about this)
Wilson - 1 year contract extension (Reasoning - with the AFL giving rookies a 4th year, may as well give Wilson another crack at it)
Ruscoe - 2 year contract extension (Reasoning - earnt it)

Another post where I wonder how much VFL footy has been observed…

Rantall delisted for struggling… not at VFL level, by my eye he is a ball magnet and the stats back me up. 20 disposals vs Richmond, 28 vs Sandy, 25 against Frankston; 26 vs Coburg; 25 vs Werribee. I wish Tyler Brown or Murphy could find the ball like that. Sure it hasn’t translated to AFL level yet, and there are things to work on, but it needs more time, considering it’s his first season of competitive men’s footy, that’s pretty good.

Chugg on the other hand is retained, and by my eye he has struggled. A couple of decent games but by and large his has looked like one of the VFL boys out there and has struggled to find the footy…12 disposals v Werribee, 10 vs Essendon, 11 vs GC, 13 vs Coburg, 3 vs Sydney (was he injured), 9 vs Frankston.

He's had an off year and managed to find himself dead drunk tied naked to a pole, all on a bloated contract!

That was 2020?

If it bothered us so much we would have added him to last year’s fire sale. Comprate de Franco Cozzo. Megalo Megalo Megalo. Grand Sale, Grand Sale, Grand Sale. All our players off to North a’Melbourne and a’Footscray.

He's had an off year and managed to find himself dead drunk tied naked to a pole, …

Oh looky you, since when have you become all straight laced and teetotaller?!

how is that leadership?

Dunno about you, but I find it frggen’ hard living up to the standards of Scott Pendlebury every day. It makes life so friggen’ dull. Just need to lash out and go on a bender from time to time to remind myself that I’m still alive.

And given our situation any kid with a chance of being around for the next window is a better bet than him.

Given that …

(a) Greenwood and Mayne already need replacing.
(b) Nobody thinks Sier and Cox will be at the club next year.
(c) Our draft hand beyond having a significant shortfall of points for N.Daicos is rubbish

… we’d be replacing one of our most experienced players in a developing team, with a pick around the 200’s.

Last edited:

Nah, Hine is going off basketballers, they’re so 2015.

We’re about to offload two players with a basketball background: Mason Cox and Phil Inn.

Lynch out of our reach? The Crows one (not Tigers). He is a delisted free agent and shall come cheap (eg. $250,000). M Crouch is an ex All-Australian and excellent accumulator and Billings may have under-whelmed but is 25, skilful and plenty of upside.
C'mon mate, give some better options please. We would need all 3 to benefit from that and I can't see us getting any of them. Our only options this year is for delisted free agents, we need a back up KPD like Shlensog and that's about all we will doing this year, hell, we don't even have Daicos points yet

Rantall delisted for struggling… not at VFL level, by my eye he is a ball magnet and the stats back me up. 20 disposals vs Richmond, 28 vs Sandy, 25 against Frankston; 26 vs Coburg; 25 vs Werribee. I wish Tyler Brown or Murphy could find the ball like that. Sure it hasn’t translated to AFL level yet, and there are things to work on, but it needs more time, considering it’s his first season of competitive men’s footy, that’s pretty good.

Chugg on the other hand is retained, and by my eye he has struggled. A couple of decent games but by and large his has looked like one of the VFL boys out there and has struggled to find the footy…12 disposals v Werribee, 10 vs Essendon, 11 vs GC, 13 vs Coburg, 3 vs Sydney (was he injured), 9 vs Frankston.

I’d look to retain both.

For someone who has seen every VFL game (live or on TV) and seen these guys in person, I'd like to think I have a good view of things.

Tohil - Extra year rookie list probably saves him
Sier - Trade/gone
Mayne - Retired
Cameron - Keep
Chugg - Keep. Has had some injuries this year and in the pre-season, lack of VFL with covid, deserves another year. Started to get some form last few weeks prior to lockdown.
Ginnivan - Keep. Nuff said
Madgen - Good depth. Keep
Rantall - Keep. Needs some size, was always touted as raw potential given he hadn't been in footy for very long. But can get the ball, there is something to work with here
Noble - Keep
JT - I suspect we keep but, he should look elsewhere at 30 years old.
Greenwood - Retired
Cox - Trade/Gone
Lynch - Try to keep, but I suspect he'll look for more opportunity
Pendles - Keep clearly.
Wilson - Keep/Rookie list will save him.
Ruscoe - Keep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For someone who has seen every VFL game (live or on TV) and seen these guys in person, I'd like to think I have a good view of things.

Tohil - Extra year rookie list probably saves him
Sier - Trade/gone
Mayne - Retired
Cameron - Keep
Chugg - Keep. Has had some injuries this year and in the pre-season, lack of VFL with covid, deserves another year. Started to get some form last few weeks prior to lockdown.
Ginnivan - Keep. Nuff said
Madgen - Good depth. Keep
Rantall - Keep. Needs some size, was always touted as raw potential given he hadn't been in footy for very long. But can get the ball, there is something to work with here
Noble - Keep
JT - I suspect we keep but, he should look elsewhere at 30 years old.
Greenwood - Retired
Cox - Trade/Gone
Lynch - Try to keep, but I suspect he'll look for more opportunity
Pendles - Keep clearly.
Wilson - Keep/Rookie list will save him.
Ruscoe - Keep
It’s been the worst time to be rebuilding. Two years wasted in VFL just about. So many haven’t had a decent run.

I really really like both these guys - perfect fit and age demographic. Richards of half back releasing Maynard / Crisp, and Lipinski into the midfield.

This is where I would like the club to consider someone like Elliott as part of the deal here. Bulldogs in the window and we know what Elliott offers.

Really keen to see if this develops

I think one of the first overhauls will be moving on players with poor disposal.
I really really like both these guys - perfect fit and age demographic. Richards of half back releasing Maynard / Crisp, and Lipinski into the midfield.

This is where I would like the club to consider someone like Elliott as part of the deal here. Bulldogs in the window and we know what Elliott offers.

Really keen to see if this develops

Giving up Elliott would not be a good move.

The idea would be, similar to what Richmond have done, they let these players for further opportunities. Would not have thought it would take that much to make the deal. Dogs are also under salary cap pressure.

Greenwood - Retired
Mayne - Retired
Tohill - Delist
Sier - Trade
Cameron - retain
Chugg - delist
Ginnivan - retain
Madgen - will be retained
Rantall - delist
Noble - retain
Thomas - will retain, prefer to trade or delist
Cox - delist
Lynch - retain
Pendlebury - retain
Wilson - delist
Ruscoe - retain

I think one of the first overhauls will be moving on players with poor disposal.

Giving up Elliott would not be a good move.

The idea would be, similar to what Richmond have done, they let these players for further opportunities. Would not have thought it would take that much to make the deal. Dogs are also under salary cap pressure.

The issue is Elliott is 29, and wont be part of our next push realistically, but could be a missing piece for a team like the Doggies, Melbourne etc.

The only way we get the like of Lipinski or Edwards types from other clubs is by giving something up - I know its hard to let go but the club needs to build the list for the long term which means trading in players in that 22-23 years of age.

The issue is Elliott is 29, and wont be part of our next push realistically, but could be a missing piece for a team like the Doggies, Melbourne etc.

The only way we get the like of Lipinski or Edwards types from other clubs is by giving something up - I know its hard to let go but the club needs to build the list for the long term which means trading in players in that 22-23 years of age.
If the club did it that would break my heart because of his courage and skill but I would bite my tongue and understand the reasoning behind it :'(

I'm not sure where Elliott sits in the pecking order but he was number one for merchandise sales a few years back.

If the club did it that would break my heart because of his courage and skill but I would bite my tongue and understand the reasoning behind it :'(
I'm not sure where Elliott sits in the pecking order but he was number one for merchandise sales a few years back.

Definitely would be a heart breaker for some - I get that. But the club is bigger than any player, and he has in my opinion some real worth on the trade table to help build our list.

Definitely would be a heart breaker for some - I get that. But the club is bigger than any player, and he has in my opinion some real worth on the trade table to help build our list.
No argument here just sadness that he won't see a flag in the stripes.

How many pieces do we need to give teams? We have given the Bulldogs Treloar on the cheap.

I am probably more ruthless in terms of letting people go than most on this board. Elliott is one of the few that actually has performed and is one of our few genuine match winners. Our best football is generally when Elliott plays well.

How many pieces do we need to give teams? We have given the Bulldogs Treloar on the cheap.

I am probably more ruthless in terms of letting people go than most on this board. Elliott is one of the few that actually has performed and is one of our few genuine match winners. Our best football is generally when Elliott plays well.
I agree with you JLC but the harsh reality is Jamie will not still be playing when we win our next flag and if his transfer will net us a young but established KPF/D then although deeply saddened I would understand and accept the club's decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

October Decisions Necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back