Training Off season program

Remove this Banner Ad

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
What are the key focus areas we need players to improve on, to make the top four next year?

For me:

Serong - goal kicking and inside 50s
Jackson - marking and goal kicking
Johnson - contested ball and gym
Sharp - decision making and finishing
Cox - doping for pace, multiple efforts
O’Driscoll - fitness and injury prevention
Darcy - fitness and injury prevention
Draper - gym
Chapman - 1v1 aerial defence and gym
Clark - discipline

What are the key focus areas we need players to improve on, to make the top four next year?

For me:

Draper - gym
Clark - discipline
So many look like triathletes, which is fine if you want to rely on fitness and have
a gameplan to use pace and spread.
Then you look at others in the group and they look like they haven’t done the work.
It starts in the midfield and it’s the one place where we lack true pace or evasiveness.
Young is about the best footballer style we have, genuinely elite. Serong is just below him, if he starts kicking goals we will have another Brownlow.
Brayshaw is the workhorse, all 3 can realistically only marginally improve.
Harsh but Fyfe, JOM, Walters are done, with maybe Aish to be added?
Then you have the biggest disappointment in Darcy and Jackson. One looks too
lean and the others weight and fitness is in question.
All of these problems can be fixed in the preseason but will they?
Coaching group also needs fixing in unison with the playing list and working on
our weaknesses.
Refusing to rest or rotate, dropping players or manufacturing wins came back to haunt us in the end.
Close games are all about pressure, mental and physical toughness and we cracked.
Preseason has to be individualised to add size, power, speed, and tackling.
Don’t think you can fix everything ie the gameplan but we are the perfect
example of a downhill skier,
Bolton is the logical answer as that forward/mid, but ignoring the box and the
inexperience, soft approach starts at the top.

Johnson needs to pack on muscle.

Darcy needs to lose 15kg.

Omeara needs to shave his head and get tough.

Serong and Brayshaw need to do their homework on clearances in clutch moments. Same with Young.

Jackson probably needs to add more to his frame.

Treacy is perfect. Will only get stronger in the arms.

Voss needs to work on Fitness/Skills

Walker skills.

Wagner needs to get a haircut and shave the bum fluff off his face.

Clark injury prevention. Think his wrist needs a rest.

Pearce needs gallons of bone broth.

Cox. Fitness and keep developing craft.

Ryan. Should never do kick outs. Could always get more conditioned and stronger frame.

Noddy. Fitness and Skills execution.

It's probably fortunate, at this point, that Serong missed three shots at goal Sunday evening. I expect he will be looking at his game and would know that if he was nailing those shots, particularly on the run, the side would be playing finals - so he will work really hard on it. He's a very driven man.

Jackson absolutely has to start taking marks again.

For me:

Draper - gym
Clark - discipline
It’s a shame Cox had that baby and we can’t send him overseas to “fix” his hamstring issues

(Escape testing and juice to the gills)

Develop someone else to take the kick in besides Ryan and take advantage of why the AFL brought in the ball behind the goals and got rid of the kicking out of the square, i.e. so teams could move it quickly after a behind.

Johnson needs to pack on muscle.

Darcy needs to lose 15kg.

Omeara needs to shave his head and get tough.

Serong and Brayshaw need to do their homework on clearances in clutch moments. Same with Young.

Jackson probably needs to add more to his frame.

Treacy is perfect. Will only get stronger in the arms.

Voss needs to work on Fitness/Skills

Walker skills.

Wagner needs to get a haircut and shave the bum fluff off his face.

Clark injury prevention. Think his wrist needs a rest.

Pearce needs gallons of bone broth.

Cox. Fitness and keep developing craft.

Ryan. Should never do kick outs. Could always get more conditioned and stronger frame.

Noddy. Fitness and Skills execution.
The forward line and mids learn how to tackle.

What happens in the coaches box is the most interesting to me, followed by how we manage our ruck contingent.

There's definitely some development that needs to to occur with our coaching group, either in the personnel or structure...it doesn't give the impression it's firing on all six cylinders. I'm open to suggestions with this one as I'm really not sure what we need to do here.

For the rucks, it's pretty simple. The big fella needs to get fit and angry. He's arguably our most strategically important player and we are a totally different team when he is up and about. I hope the messaging to him is clear and direct...get fit or you aint our number one guy.

With Jacko, he is getting to an age where we are going to be demanding that a guy with his physical attributes (and salary) starts to have a tangible influence on games. He should be aiming to be in our top 6-8 for the Doig and play a material role in getting us well into the finals.

I've actually surrendered the idea of Jackson ever being able to correctly read the flight of a football. I don't think his brain can process the information in the correct order and he'll inevitably launch a second early for the rest of his career.
Voss can replace him up forward. Forget the trio of Jackson Amiss and Treacy. Feel like Jackson can’t hack being a forward focal point. Voss has more mongrel and willingness to mark.

Jackson needs to go in the centre and be more involved in the play. Absolutely wasted up forward with his usual 2 mark 10 disposals game.

Voss can replace him up forward. Forget the trio of Jackson Amiss and Treacy. Feel like Jackson can’t hack being a forward focal point. Voss has more mongrel and willingness to mark.

Jackson needs to go in the centre and be more involved in the play. Absolutely wasted up forward with his usual 2 mark 10 disposals game.
I'm telling you...he needs glasses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Off season program

Remove this Banner Ad

Back