Official 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics - Men's Hockey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Miller was freaking Awesome! give that man a medal god damn it!

ooooh a Russia V Canada Quarter final..... shit could canada come away with no medal? there would be a mass suicide!

So assuming there is no upsets in the quarterfinals playoffs..

RUSSIA V CANADA IN THE QUARTERFINALS!!!

:eek::eek:

(Russia is seeded 3, canada 6)
This would be Thursday after the wednesday game against Germany?

People wanted this as the gold medal game but now there is pride right on the line. None of these guys will want to go home in the quarters.

the tournament after the quarter finals so as far as i can tell this is how the brackets will work..

1-USA 2-Sweden 3- Russia 4-Finland all get the bye

ON Wenesday

5-czech republic V 12 Latvia
6-Canada V 11 Germany
7- Slovakia V 10 Norway
8-Switzerland V 9 Belarus

assuming the favorties win the quarters will line up as

On Thursday

1-USA V 8-Switzerland (Belarus may cause an upset)
2-Sweden V 7 Slovakia
3-Russia V 6 Canada
4- Finalnd V 5 Czech republic

Boy Canada has a hard path if they wanna get to the gold medal game, they will beat germany comfortably, but then they get a rested Ovechkin and the red army and even if they can beat Russia they would probably play Sweden (possibly slovakia)......just to get a shot.

Todays loss may have cost them olympic gold..

Haha, if Canada beat Gemany, they play Russia in the smaller AHL arena, not even GM Place. Talk about wheels falling off. Gord Miller said it best, they're playing with house money now.

Wow the Americans were good. Canada are by far the more talented outfit, but the Americans were better, if that makes sense.

Miller isn't as talented as Brodeur, but played better. Same with Kesler and Crosby, Rafalski and Niedermayer, Brown and Perry.

To me, the mindset of the Canadians and the Americans was outlined with the EN goal. Kesler, and the USA, wanted it a whole lot more than Perry, and the Canadians, who seem to be playing like because they're strong on paper the results should just happen.

But wow, what a game. I had a feeling ever since I saw Switzerland take it to Canada that the USA could do it, and they did.

On the other games for Super Sunday, the Czechs held their own, it just took some top end talent magic to get the Russians over the line, and the Swedes are in cruise control.

But the story is the USA. Such a great result, great game, might have to watch it again in oh.. twelve minutes!

Wow the Americans were good. Canada are by far the more talented outfit, but the Americans were better, if that makes sense.

Miller isn't as talented as Brodeur, but played better.

Miller is by far the better goalie now, Brodeur is past his best. Far too many errors yesterday. Who knows what he was trying to do playing cricket on the second goal.

If one was cheering on the USA in this game it was exactly how Montreal have played this year. Score early or respond to a goal quickly and hope your goaltender bails you out. They sat too deep with one player doing a decent forecheck for most of the game. Fair play to them they took their chances.

Swap goalies and this is 4-2 Canada minimum.

As it goes that stupid Swiss game was very costly. If Canada had taken care of the Swiss in regulation they would have a bye, then a 4-5 quarterfinal vs. Finland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I taped the CAN v USA game and watched it. That was the first full game I have seen in a few years. So thankyou channel 9 :) except it was excruciating listening to Ken Sutcliffe try to fill in time talking about the game while the feed from CTV was in commercial during the first period and then when ch.9 lost the feed.

Anyway, to the game.
Pretty much agree with what everyone has said here. Canada had the majority of the play in the 1st period, but didn;t have many good scoring chances. USA were working hard and capitalised on the Brodeur mistakes. What was Broduer doing on that second US goal ... my goodness that was awful

Canda lifted in the second period but Miller was strong. Again, the USA scored when they had their best chance, and again Brodeur flopped ... for a goalie whose puck handling is meant to be top class, he wasn't having a good day in the office.

Highlight of the game (besides the last two minutes) was the last couple minutes of the second period. The end to end stuff was breath taking! :O

The third period was mostly Canada, and this was where Miller really stood up. Solid as a rock! Espeically the last few minutes when Canada were frantically throwing everything (and everyone ahem Crosby) at the net.

Overall, as was mentioned, the veterans on the US were fantastic whilst the vets for the Canadaians were sub par. I enjoyed watching Rick Nash though, you can't freaking move that guy!!! Doughty was Canada's best defender.
To me, the Canadians were playing more like an all star team, whereas I thought the USA played more like a team if that makes sense. They wanted it more, their PK was awesome and it even showed in the EN goal by Kesler .. that was sweet!
If Canada want to progress, they need to look at how the Us played i.e. work their arses off!

As for the goaltending, I thought Miller was awesome! He was reading the play to a tee, positioning was fantastic and no sloppy rebounds. On the other hand Brodeur's puck handling and decision making pretty much cost Canada three goals. He didn't look like he was reading the play and looked like he was just reacting to shots.

Anyway absolutely pumped to have watched some hockey and hope ch.9 continue to do this in the finals. I would love to see Ovechkin (and Russia), Foppa and Jagr.

Have a bet on sweden at $8.20, to lay them is now $6.80, at what price should i lay the swedes? Who else offers good value? Hopefully some Hockey gurus can give me advice.

I still think either Canada, Russia or Sweden wins the gold..

Canada plays russia in a quarter final, sweden plays slovakia..(probably)

If sweden win they play the canada-russia winner in the semi finals, so its not an easy run for any of the 3.

tough to pick a winner, go with your gut.

I put 10 on russia at 3.30 before the tournament, but its anyones medal at the moment..

USA are probably decent odds for a medal atleast. They have Finland who they are better than them in a semi, providing they get past Switzerland/Belarus which they should do. If they make it to the gold against Sweden they can win it, if not they won't win it because of Revenge factor for Canada and Russia is probably just a bit too much for them.

You're rattling it off as if the game has already finished.

50/50 at best... If the Czechs win I think they'll be better than the USA. Vokoun plays well and I think they'll go through.
Thats what happens when you predict things.

Thats what happens when you predict things.

Nowhere in your spiel did you say anything about predictions. To make it clearer I've done some editing to your post below. I have even fixed up some grammar for you. :thumbsu:

I think USA are probably decent odds for a medal at least. I predict they will play Finland who I think are better than them in a semi, providing they get past Switzerland/Belarus which I believe they should do. If they make it to the gold against Sweden I believe they can win it, if they do not play Sweden I think they will not win it because of a revenge factor for Canada. I think Russia is probably just a bit too much for them.

No worries, thought you might need some help after all those snarky comments directed your way in the Broughton Report thread. :D

I don't know what is more embarrassing for Canada, losing to the USA in hockey or winning gold in the Ice Dancing... I'm saying the latter.

No worries, thought you might need some help after all those snarky comments directed your way in the Broughton Report thread. :D

I don't know what is more embarrassing for Canada, losing to the USA in hockey or winning gold in the Ice Dancing... I'm saying the latter.
Hah, couldn't really care tbh what others say.

Also, I'd take winning a gold in any sport over losing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics - Men's Hockey thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back