List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is not why the system is there. it is to retain a player not stop him from moving freely to maximize your return. It is so you can match an offer from an alternative club to retain your player. You dont want to retain him, you have turned on him and are treating him like dirt. You only see him as an asset to be sold. That is not what restricted free agency is for. it is so you can say to him 'oh, there offer is that much? Ok well we will up our offer so you will be happy here.'

The crows are manipulating the system to increase their sale price which is not what the rules intend.

You don't think we'd be thrilled if he turned around and said they'd changed their mind and are happy to stay. This is shocking to some because it's the first time the elements have lined up and a club would be crazy not to match. Danger and the rest of the players are fine, they know Danger's not being treated poorly and that he will get to where he wants as all our departees have over the years. It's just an uncontracted trade like the numerous ones before it, no ones being blocked or screwed over. Not Patty, not the Cats and not the Crows.

You don't think we'd be thrilled if he turned around and said they'd changed their mind and are happy to stay. This is shocking to some because it's the first time the elements have lined up and a club would be crazy not to match. Danger and the rest of the players are fine, they know Danger's not being treated poorly and that he will get to where he wants as all our departees have over the years. It's just an uncontracted trade like the numerous ones before it, no ones being blocked or screwed over. Not Patty, not the Cats and not the Crows.
i hope that is true (though i disagree about the uncontracted trade part) but the noises indicate a desire for much screwing. though maybe roo and fagan are unrepresentative of the actually decision makers.

To the Adelaide posters on here, what you have to realize about Free Agency (restricted or not) is that it's primary reason for existence is to allow players more freedom to decide where they play.

By matching the Cats offer, you are removing Paddy's freedom to exercise that right and demanding that he move on your terms. This by it's nature is restricting. Say what you like about within the rules or the cats being responsible for what happens next, but you started the process by removing his initial right to move freely in order to serve your own purposes.

Obviously the crows have done nothing yet, but I'm hearing a lot of defence of something that is indefensible. Sure it's within the rules, but still smells a bit.

The rules are very clear, players don't have a right to freely move between clubs until they've been on a list for 10 years and become an unrestrcited free agent.

When a player is a restricted free agent the only way they can freely switch club is if they're offered a deal that's well above what the current club is prepared to match. This is why Sydney gave Buddy that ridiculous 9 year deal, it wasn't done because they thought it was good value they did it in order that Hawthorn didn't match.

To me it sounds like RFA is working exactly as it is intended ie Geelong have 2 choices they either offer Dangerfield a godfather deal that we wouldn't match (like Sydney did with Franklin) or they try and trade for him.

I can't believe how feral some crows supporters are being over the matter, I can't say I've ever seen so much hate & vitriol coming outta their mouths...

Abusing the Geelong Football Club & their supporters for no reason.

Some are quite hurt. Especially those that took him at his word that he hadn't made up his mind. I'm not sure what else they expected him to say, but there's a fair bit of OTT stuff going on. I'm a bit excited to see it all play out personally. I'll only be truly devastated if we fold like a pack of cards and accept 14 from the AFL.

I think the point was that the AFL may be more likely to offer a second pick as RFA compensation if Danger wins the Brownlow, which the Crows could then reasonably accept as being no better than what they could get from us anyway, allowing us to get him without giving up any picks or players at all.

One can hope.
I would also like that, Reg. If it's right.

The rules are very clear, players don't have a right to freely move between clubs until they've been on a list for 10 years and become an unrestrcited free agent.

When a player is a restricted free agent the only way they can freely switch club is if they're offered a deal that's well above what the current club is prepared to match. This is why Sydney give Buddy that ridiculous 9 year deal, it wasn't done because they thought it was good value they did it in order that Hawthorn didn't match.

To me it sounds like RFA is working exactly as it is intended ie Geelong have 2 choices they either offer Dangerfield a godfather deal that we wouldn't match (like Sydney did with Franklin) or they try and trade for him.

Free movement also applies to 8 year players who aren't in the top 10 paid players. The restricted part was created specifically to give the originating club the chance to get better value for higher end players. If it could be described by a single picture in the dictionary, then it would be Patty holding an $800k contract.

Some are quite hurt. Especially those that took him at his word that he hadn't made up his mind. I'm not sure what else they expected him to say, but there's a fair bit of OTT stuff going on. I'm a bit excited to see it all play out personally. I'll only be truly devastated if we fold like a pack of cards and accept 14 from the AFL.
and you will probably be right in the end because you are dealing with geelong and we tend to look out for players interests as opposed to trying to milk opposition clubs for the best possible deal.

i personally think we have all the power here but when i reflect on past deals we may well give up our bargaining power and just strike a deal because we like grease the wheels.

if it were me i would hold out as adelaide are in the weaker position here but the cats tend not to be so hard to deal with.....we aren't essendon...

i hope that is true (though i disagree about the uncontracted trade part) but the noises indicate a desire for much screwing. though maybe roo and fagan are unrepresentative of the actually decision makers.

That won't happen, the Crows aren't about to pull an Essendon at all. We're one of the fairest and meekest clubs at the trade table, trust me the Crows won't be screwing anyone over.

Personally I think the deal will be for draft picks and that's it.

That won't happen, the Crows aren't about to pull an Essendon at all. We're one of the fairest and meekest clubs at the trade table, trust me the Crows won't be screwing anyone over.

Personally I think the deal will be for draft picks and that's it.
so you think much like this thread it is chest thumping coming from some quarters?

Slightly OT but, what do we think about membership numbers in 2016 with PD coming. Reckon we'll see a boost on the 45,000 odd we got this year?

Personally, i reckon with him coming we'll break 50,000.

I rekon we will get close to 50k. If we get all the players we have been linked to we are looking to break the 50k mark easily

I personally think there's a chance that Patty will be getting a bit more than $850k. But if this is the case, then Geelong don't want the offer tabled because it tends to becomes public knowledge and may contravene your clubs stated salary cap system. I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist though.
Lol you do know we been under the cap this year and have several delisting which has added more room in our cap.

You're clueless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just like any workplace in general & most people tend to change employees at some stage, Everyone has their own right to do whats makes them happy & especially Paddy explaining last night about wanting to be home where he grew up & start a family, Some crows supporters are being over the top, Some are being understanding, Paddy is doing the right thing compared to the other players who left for you club for financial gain only, I was pretty pissed off when Ablett bailed on us, His circumstances are completely different to what Paddy is doing,I still love Ablett jnr just as much after I cooled off after accepting he wanted to leave.

Crows will be fine in the long run as much as it sucks to lose one of your best player, Geelong have done fine since Gaz Jnr left, I can't see why the same situation won't happen for the crows.

Free movement also applies to 8 year players who aren't in the top 10 paid players. The restricted part was created specifically to give the originating club the chance to get better value for higher end players. If it could be described by a single picture in the dictionary, then it would be Patty holding an $800k contract.
It
Where's this attitude been amongst Crows supporters for the past 12 months? :D
lol

It can't. There's no way that forcing an unwilling player out for a defined replacement would be a productive decision. We did it with Vince to get a draft pick and that's bad enough. No club would do it as part of a trade scenario these days.

Ok. All great points.

Thus, given that perspective and that all of Murda, Gregson, Cocky, Gore, REad, Guthrie, Mots et al have ALL just re-signed contracts ( accepting this is a sign of happiness at GFC) can we declare it reasonable to assume that regardless of AFC potential requests, none of these names will be involved in ANY trades as part of the PD deal.

Just so we can stop 25% of the bullshit angst going back and forth.

Trading picks - sure talk that up as potential. But the contracted player stuff needs to cease.

Reasonable?

Go Catters

He wasn't traded. There was no negotiation between Suns and you guys.
im not talking about trading - im taking about value and relative scale. There is a difference.

GO Catters

I can't believe how feral some crows supporters are being over the matter, I can't say I've ever seen so much hate & vitriol coming outta their mouths...

Abusing the Geelong Football Club & their supporters for no reason.

They need to vent their anger somewhere, seems it's either at Paddy and his partner or us.

Really mind boggling stuff, the guy is a grown man and owes them zilch. Nada. Null!!!!!

Lol you do know we been under the cap this year and have several delisting which has added more room in our cap.

You're clueless

Mate, you need to read what I wrote. My conspiracy theory is that I reckon there's a chance he'll be getting more than the reported $850k. Something like $1.1m. I've got no doubt you've got salary cap room, you should have plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back