List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't pretend to care about the freedom of movement when we are clearly gonna trade him to geelong anyway......this is just based on your club wanting him for cheap and possibly not getting your way

With all due respect, my comments were based on my issues with RFA in general, and the fact that there is a current situation involving the club I support just means there are more people thinking about it, so more chance of discussion.

Admittedly I went about it in the wrong way by calling out the Adelaide supporters here, but I thought the other side of the debate would be worth hearing.

Would I like it if we got Paddy without a trade? Absolutely. But I'd prefer to know my club was acting in the most professional and ethical way possible (not suggesting Adelaide are not).

Then how can you be confident you will match or if Paddy is being paid nearly the same amount anyway?

Not smart are you?

because when a number of rumours seem to correlate with each other it usually means that there's some truth to them, it's hardly rocket science

Ah if Adel match they have to prove they have the cap to make that offer, they can't just match it to force us to offer more.
Yes, exactly, but my point is that whatever Adelaide offers, they don't really have to worry about how it might impact their club in a year or two, just so long as it fits in their current cap.

Correct.
I got told the deal was all but agreed upon by both clubs during the QF weekend, no idea what the deal is of course but word coming from those connected was "all but done".

The only way i am ever going to like this deal is if gfc swaps a couple of late round picks from other clubs so we get more picks in the draft. and possibly go a bit higher in the draft like what we did to get cocky there for losing our 1 round pick next year will not be so bad.

Last edited:
If the AFL steps in and ends up offering another 1st rd pick as compo, do you think Adelaide would still match?

At the end of the day, even if we did overpay for Danger, it's highly likely players will get squeezed out anyway.

Look at Sydney getting Buddy - Lost Mumford, Malceski, Lamb, now Jetta (although arguably Jetta is not being squeezed out) - and perhaps more that escape me.

In essence, you either pay a price now via what seemingly will be a trade to get the said player for under market $$ value or overpay and see your own players poached later.

Depends on how much of the cap we're paying. Sydney's squeeze was compounded heavily by the scrapping of the COLA and not so much overpaying Buddy/Tippett - Goodes + Shaw retiring will probably relieve some of the pressure too. Not sure they're the best comparison.

I'd trust the club on this as they've already stated we won't be compromising our pay structure, and Danger is already accepting unders to come here anyway. Even though they'll be listed as veterans Bartel, Lonergan, Mackie and Enright all potentially retiring should give us some further space at the end of 2016. There will be several squeezed out for sure but we won't have the same conundrum as Sydney.

If the AFL steps in and ends up offering another 1st rd pick as compo, do you think Adelaide would still match?

If he wins the Brownlow 2x 1st rounders is a distinct possibility. Crows would be smart to take that considering they're not getting their hands on a Cockatoo/Guthrie/Menzel in addition to our P9 in a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see 100 pages of options and no deal in our future…

and your time starts…..

NOW

Go Catters
Haha so naive Daz. Might get to 1000 by the time trade period ends....

If he wins the Brownlow 2x 1st rounders is a distinct possibility. Crows would be smart to take that considering they're not getting their hands on a Cockatoo/Guthrie/Menzel in addition to our P9 in a trade.
What has the 2015 Brownlow got to do with 2016 onwards?

I don't want us to suffer because an Adelaide player had a great season in 2015. We already know he ranks. If he wins the Brownlow that is more reason for Adelaide to say he served us well, and not block him.

Why would it result in a change to restricted free agency when the whole purpose of RFA is there for scenarios like this.

I find your notion that Adelaide are abusing the rules interesting, the only difference between RFA and UFA is that the current club have a right of refusal by matching the offer for restricted free agents. RFA only allows restricted player movement on deals that the current clubs can't or won't match. Someone could just as easily suggest that Geelong are also attempting to circumvent the system by potentially offering a RFA far below market value.

this is not why the system is there. it is to retain a player not stop him from moving freely to maximize your return. It is so you can match an offer from an alternative club to retain your player. You dont want to retain him, you have turned on him and are treating him like dirt. You only see him as an asset to be sold. That is not what restricted free agency is for. it is so you can say to him 'oh, there offer is that much? Ok well we will up our offer so you will be happy here.'

The crows are manipulating the system to increase their sale price which is not what the rules intend.

because when a number of rumours seem to correlate with each other it usually means that there's some truth to them, it's hardly rocket science
It's amazing how many Crow fans dismissed that notion when all the rumours were saying he was coming to Geelong over the course of the season

What has the 2015 Brownlow got to do with 2016 onwards?

I don't want us to suffer because an Adelaide player had a great season in 2015. We already know he ranks. If he wins the Brownlow that is more reason for Adelaide to say he served us well, and not block him.

I think the point was that the AFL may be more likely to offer a second pick as RFA compensation if Danger wins the Brownlow, which the Crows could then reasonably accept as being no better than what they could get from us anyway, allowing us to get him without giving up any picks or players at all.

One can hope.

If they're going to create something out of nothing, then they might as well make it a start of first round pick. But even 14 and 15, as crap as that is, isn't much worse than our best case from you blokes in an uncontracted player trade. Would have to be strongly considered I reckon.

For all we know they may have. The 800k is the rumour based on suggestions it will be in line with Selwood's salary, but that could be a smokescreen. Only a couple of weeks to wait till we know more i guess.

If it ends up being a trade, then i hope it is only for 1 first rounder. if it is for 2 then GFC botched the deal.

But i maintain if it ends in a trade RFA will be seriously rewritten by the AFLPA and the other clubs will only have Adelaide to blame for abusing it.

How is Adelaide abusing the system?

Danger is worth 2 first rounders. Minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back