Game Day Official GDT - PRELIMINARY FINAL Sydney v NMFC, Friday PM, ANZ Stadium (Out: JMac / In: Jacobs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few interesting stats that I think give us a great chance:

Average Clearances :

1Gary Jnr AblettGold Coast153 v Collingwood, Round 167.9
2Andrew SwallowNorth Melbourne175 v Geelong, Semi Final7.1

8Josh P. KennedySydney218 v Fremantle, Qualifying Final6.4

16Ben CunningtonNorth Melbourne245 v Geelong, Semi Final5.8

Average Hitouts

2014 AFL League Hitouts Per Game Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)
RankPlayerTeamGamesHitouts for Last GameAverage
1Aaron SandilandsFremantle2350 v Port Adelaide, Semi Final38.7

4Todd GoldsteinNorth Melbourne2354 v Geelong, Semi Final35.2

12Mike PykeSydney1722 v Fremantle, Qualifying Final27.

So straight off the bat we've got a decided advantage in the clearances. Winning the ball out of the middle and around the stoppages is so vital. If Spitter, Ben10 and Goldy are on song, stats would say we should dominate here.

Our Forward Line:

Lots of talk here about how the Sydney forward line completely outmatches ours. Don't disagree, however interestingly height wise:

Petrie 197cm
Brown 199cm
Black 192cm
Ziebell 188cm

vs:

Heath Grundy: 192cm
Ted Richards: 193cm
Rampe: 189cm
Smith: 184cm

We deliver it with precision and to the advantage of our bigger bodied forwards, we're a huge chance, particularly as it looks like our forward line might keep theirs pre-occupied and hopefully can limit the run that Shaw, Malceski, Smith, Rohan, Jetta can offer.

I'm coming round to our chances of putting up a really good fight.

I really thing we win this in the middle.

Our defence is outmatch by the Star Studed Sydney forwards and I expect that this is their greatest advantage. In the midfield we are evenly matched with Boomer in the side. We may win the ruck contest and the clearances but they beat us in contested ball and turn overs. Their backline does not match up very well with ours and we hold a similar advantage in our Forward Line as they hold in theirs. If we can get the ball inside 50 more times than they do we will go a long way to winning this.

The weather will not be a factor in this game and fine conditions are predicted.

If we win the Midfield battle we will win the game.

Inside
Swallow vs Kenedy
Greenwood vs McVeigh
Cunnington vs Parker
Goldstein
vs Pyke
Ziebell vs ?

Outside
Wells vs Malcheski
Harvey
vs Hanabury
Dal Santo vs McGlynn
Gibson vs Jack

Roatating
Turner vs Cunningham
McDonald
vs Bird
Atley vs Jetta

Not sure if this is 100% accurate for Sydney however while the three inside midfielders are probably rated better than our three we haven't exactly been too bad in that area. I expect it to be much closer with the advanage we get from Goldstein.

On the outside we have more depth than Sydney and if we get the ball we should be able to deliver better quality ball inside 50 compared to the Swans. We will need to do this for a real chance because of the quality forwards of Sydney. Gibson's ability to run all day will be a massive benifit especially on the big ground at ANZ. This should allow us to finish the game strong so if we are there abouts towards the end of the game the extra week off won't be as big a benifit as it may have been in previous weeks.

I think we deserve to be underdogs but give our side a real chance of causing an upset if the midfield can get on top!

Can't wait for Friday night!

the schadenfreude will really be something if we get up.

After our last final up there, having lost, I found myself the only North supporter in the train carriage from Homebush otherwise packed with Swans fans. I felt like a naked Jen Hawkins covered in Quik as all eyes were on me. A couple of whispers between some of their fans and the odd smartarse look and I decided the best form of defence was attack. All it took was one "WTF are you looking at?" from me and serenity was returned, as was my anonymity.

I'd love nothing more than another trip on the same train but post a North win.

After our last final up there, having lost, I found myself the only North supporter in the train carriage from Homebush otherwise packed with Swans fans. I felt like a naked Jen Hawkins covered in Quik as all eyes were on me. A couple of whispers between some of their fans and the odd smartarse look and I decided the best form of defence was attack. All it took was one "WTF are you looking at?" from me and serenity was returned, as was my anonymity.

Sure you didn't have a booga hanging out your nose or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you were incredibly aroused TT ? All steamed up and ready to blow eh?
/BennyHillMusic

Oh. Love you too, Horse. Still have my 35 jumper you signed for me x
Bastard broke my heart in 1990.

12 year old sitting of the fence waiting all day to run onto the ground and cheer my idol. 2 goals freakin 8 with a couple of shots that didn't score too. I was shattered.

The '99 Grand Final was pretty good though. So glad he got that medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 year old sitting of the fence waiting all day to run onto the ground and cheer my idol. 2 goals freakin 8 with a couple of shots that didn't score too. I was shattered.

Yep. Sat in the forward pocket at VFL Park ,scoreboard end just waiting, waiting....

Part of me is still there.

Ah, TT, there's no doubt about you and your fearsome Viking roots, striking fear into the heart of unbelievers. Okay, some mixed religious metaphors, but....

tumblr_n96qtfCGe81spe9puo1_500.gif

What is this 2000?

Sounds like that other year 1998.

That was such a shit night. I was in about the second row at the old Ponsford Stand end. My memory is that the ground sloped downwards away from the ground so I could barely see over the fence. And when I could see, all I could see were bloody Melbourne jumpers running everywhere. I remember staying to the end, as you do, and watching a very downbeat chairing off of Dr Scholl.

Our last two prelims have been in the shadow of fearful thumpings in the first week, barely covered up by brave comebacks in the second week. This is the first year since 1999 that we have gone into the second last weekend on a high, in winning form.

That was about the time he was serving behind the jump (may have been 88-89) at one of the good ol players gambling nights. Horse was one of the few players not drinking, but had a great chat to him while i got smashed. We were pretty plastered at the end, he called us cab and made sure we were safely in..........or maybe making sure we didnt burn the place down....hmmm. Top bloke have always wished him every success, except against North!!

Yep there as well & considering the number of full forwards that have managed to kick the ton in games against us I was shattered that one little bit of glory from that mediocre season was taken away from us. A footy angel lost its wings that day.

Listening to snippets of the Goodes 350 interview and I get the distinct feeling that Sydney think they have this won.

We need to get out of the blocks early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back