Official GIANTS trade period thread

Remove this Banner Ad

just out of curiosity to the Giants supporters...medium and longterm are you guys happy with so many players of the same age? The fact that you only have about 6 or 7 players over the age of 23/24 ish

This is by no means a troll, just curious what the conesensus is...I can imagine it being quite exciting with so many top draft picks and who you might be picking up.
I'm more than happy with the talent we've brought in (and are about to bring in). Having them all basically from two draft classes will be interesting to manage...

The key now, as GC is starting to see, is to sort through who can play and who wants to stay, then rolling over the excess into draft picks in future years. Obviously if you're trading a player out after 1, 2, 3 years you won't get a pick as high as his draft spot, but I think that's how GWS will end up spreading the list.

Very true, the contract situation will be quite interesting to manage.

I think from last year the main ones yet to sign are Patton, Hoskin-Elliott and Tyson with Sumner another I think we'd like to sign up.

Patton I think is quite safe as I reckon his management are hoping with a full pre-season he will show a bit more next year and probably hoping that will mean more $$$.

Hoskin-Elliott and Tyson are more of a worry. WHE showed some real signs at the end of the year and I reckon will be heavily targeted by clubs like Collingwood next year. Tyson's family are pretty wrapped up with Richmond and he's already been a bit homesick. These boys might be the Caddy's of 2013 but hopefully not as they are guns and will no doubt be stars of the game.

@SamLandsberger
Between this year's draft and last year's draft the Giants hold 16 first-round picks - all in the top 14 - and the first three both years.

Add Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Bugg, Hampton to that, almost a full team of first rounders...

So, what do SOS and co. do for the next two and a half weeks?

Priority number one now would have to be securing Giles before the trade period ends, if not they'll be shopping for a ruckman.

#1, #2, #3, #12 and #13 - I really wouldn't mind us putting one or both of #12 and/or #13 on the table to try and get quality, youngish defenders with 75-100 games under their belt, not sure who exactly.

just out of curiosity to the Giants supporters...medium and longterm are you guys happy with so many players of the same age? The fact that you only have about 6 or 7 players over the age of 23/24 ish

This is by no means a troll, just curious what the conesensus is...I can imagine it being quite exciting with so many top draft picks and who you might be picking up.

I'm fine with it. Over the next few years we'll see some kids leave and some get delisted, so we'll pick up more picks for them. Natural attrition will give us a good spread over time.

#1, #2, #3, #12 and #13 - I really wouldn't mind us putting one or both of #12 and/or #13 on the table to try and get quality, youngish defenders with 75-100 games under their belt, not sure who exactly.

Problem with that is you'd also need to put cap room on the table, and I think we're saving that for Patton, WHE and Sumner ... plus Giles, I hope.

People on the draft board are suggesting you may take Plowman at #3 with defenders a bit more pressing than midfielders.

Whitfield, Grundy, Plowman

Would certainly fill some needs!

Usually you wouldn't, but there's no other defender that's a Top 15 prospect.

People on the draft board are suggesting you may take Plowman at #3 with defenders a bit more pressing than midfielders.

I'd doubt that, Toumpas is a stand out blue chip player, with access to him I reckon we will pounce. Unless his hip surgery is more serious and his future prospects more guarded I reckon we will take him for sure.

Jack Viney was interviewed yesterday and asked if he could choose pick 3 for Melbourne who would he take, he said without hesitation "Jimmy Toumpas, works harder than anybody he knows and a great bloke as well". Pretty good praise for a bloke as hard working as Viney.

As for the key defender issue, I'm very confident we'll be able to pick up a guy like Plowman at 12

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Toumpas is surely too good to pass up, instead we might need to hope someone slides to 12/13 or reach for someone not quite at that level.

I'd doubt that, Toumpas is a stand out blue chip player, with access to him I reckon we will pounce. Unless his hip surgery is more serious and his future prospects more guarded I reckon we will take him for sure.

Jack Viney was interviewed yesterday and asked if he could choose pick 3 for Melbourne who would he take, he said without hesitation "Jimmy Toumpas, works harder than anybody he knows and a great bloke as well". Pretty good praise for a bloke as hard working as Viney.

As for the key defender issue, I'm very confident we'll be able to pick up a guy like Plowman at 12
I don't think he will. I think the Dogs will pick him up with pick 5 or 6. If they don't there are still a few clubs inbetween your first 3 picks and your pick 12 that would be looking for young KPD's. I would be quite surprised if he went down to #12

I hope this happens. No problem paying slightly over for need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only other defender rated in the Top 20 is Jacksch, who is more of a KPF anyway.

The only other defender rated in the Top 20 is Jacksch, who is more of a KPF anyway.

I think we need a Utility - a apprentice for Cornes. Maybe he or Stringer gets taken at 12/13.

If we end up drafting Toumpas then I would right now be talking to Richmond to see what Tyson and pick 13 buys us (won't ever happen).

SOS did throw up an odd one last year with Nick Haynes (not a defender but not really rated a top 6 player).

Just scratching my head trying to think of the last time a key defender was chosen in the first 3 picks??? maybe Lachie Hansen?? Aren't most defenders manufactured anyway??

Plowman looks a quality player and would be great to draft but Toumpas is the kind of bloke that could make you look really stupid if you passed him by.

We are already having the odd issue with players wanting to leave, stockpile the very best I say.

with all these young players coming in it should help with the rotations giving all players achance and keeping them fresher hopefully for more wins. will certainly no who are the best mid fielders, giants got a heap of them.

How many draft selections are you guys likely to use do you know?

What chance of trying to trade up picks 12 and 13?
Could be 4-5 picks used, hard to know. I'd prefer to keep the pair over moving up to something like #9, a move up would have to be for Plowman I reckon.

SOS did throw up an odd one last year with Nick Haynes (not a defender but not really rated a top 6 player).

Just scratching my head trying to think of the last time a key defender was chosen in the first 3 picks??? maybe Lachie Hansen?? Aren't most defenders manufactured anyway??

Jack Watts? :D

Looking less likely by the day that Giles will remain with us

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149473/default.aspx

Funny. Now with Grundy a real possibility to be drafted I think it's more important to sign Giles. Three years is perfect as that gives Grundy three years to transition into the role.

Signing another Brogan stopgap (who was pretty dreadful this season) is a recipe for disaster. Unless we end up not drafting Grundy at all and look at trading for an experienced ruck next season.

....I wonder what Cameron thinks of rucks....

Remove this Banner Ad

Official GIANTS trade period thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back