Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Have heard a rumour that a few new rules are to be trialled in a couple of leagues this year including the GV.
One of the new rule involves players being red carded, the player red carded cannot return to the ground but can be replaced after 30 minutes.
Also suspended sentences are likely to be available for the tribunal to hand out rather than instant penalties being the only option.
Any thoughts ?????
The Red Card is a big call. A lot of the time the umpire is too sh1t scared to give one and how often is a player red carded and reported to be fond not guilty at the tribunal. Report and tribunal still the fairest way to go for me. A red card is too costly if the player is found not guilty.

I would say 3 as NT is deemed as a state league I think. I'll re phrase the question than. How many are from Shepp.

And how many of these recruits are playing there 3rd and 4 season with the club and will probably play alot more![/quote]

That is commendable and you blokes are in a very fortunate position where you have people involved at your club who can offer long time stable employment. Smaller towns such as Ky, Rochy and Tat have to rely on locals and buying in a couple of recruits.
Building a successfull team from locals would be much more satisfying than importing 80% outsiders. IMO

And how many of these recruits are playing there 3rd and 4 season with the club and will probably play alot more!

That is commendable and you blokes are in a very fortunate position where you have people involved at your club who can offer long time stable employment. Smaller towns such as Ky, Rochy and Tat have to rely on locals and buying in a couple of recruits.
Building a successfull team from locals would be much more satisfying than importing 80% outsiders. IMO[/quote]

Satisfying for who! I think when a premiership is one it is satifying regardless of how it comes.
I bet 100% of semours footballers and supporters knew of the young fella getting dropped for the GF so they could bring in Evan Murray, although once that final siren went and they had one the grand final all that mattered was seymour were premiers for 2007.
Unfortunatly it doesn't matter how you win flags, just as long as you do!

Building a successfull team from locals would be much more satisfying than importing 80% outsiders. IMO

Satisfying for who! I think when a premiership is one it is satifying regardless of how it comes.
I bet 100% of semours footballers and supporters knew of the young fella getting dropped for the GF so they could bring in Evan Murray, although once that final siren went and they had one the grand final all that mattered was seymour were premiers for 2007.
Unfortunatly it doesn't matter how you win flags, just as long as you do![/quote]

I agree that any flag is a good one but tatura are definitely a club struggling after spending up big 4-5 yrs ago. There are heaps of clubs like Balranald, Moe,Barooga and Shepp Swans who have fallen short after spending big coin. Perhaps swans and barooga might rectify this in 2008???

It does not mean jack anymore how good your juniors are, on whether you win a flag or not, because no-one can win a flag solely with home grown talent. The big challenge is to have enough good home grown, no cost, talent at the time you have money available to get the recruits, and the home grown talent level simply defies how long your at the top and what position your club is at once you run out of coin.

I see in the Sheep News today that the Swans have signed another 3 players from the Northern Territory all with very good credentials.
Alot of people on here last week bagging Kyabrams recruiting ways, but I would suggest that out of Ky's list there would be less than 5 players who didn't play juniors at the club.
Uwishuwereme, how many players at the swans this year in the ones have come through the junior system at Princess Park.

Couple of very good pick ups for shep, Jared Illet a league medalist in the NTFL and Iggy Vallejo an NTFL standout and I think a SANFL player.

The Red Card is a big call. A lot of the time the umpire is too sh1t scared to give one and how often is a player red carded and reported to be fond not guilty at the tribunal. Report and tribunal still the fairest way to go for me. A red card is too costly if the player is found not guilty.

This rule was introduced last year. Thought it was spoken then as well. No big deal common sense I reckon. Player comes off for rest of the game and player can be replaced after 30 minutes. No brainer.

Couple of very good pick ups for shep, Jared Illet a league medalist in the NTFL and Iggy Vallejo an NTFL standout and I think a SANFL player.

is a 3 time league medalist. he actually won 2 in the 1 year, 1 in the canberra league in winter and 1 in the darwin league in the summer. Iggy is a 4 time premiership player with Saint marys, was also their captain for 3 of them.
Henry Labastida is also league medalist in the CAFL Alice springs league.
They will be very exciting recruits

Withers set to fly south for winter
Gus Underwood
Kyabram's star recruit Lincoln Withers will literally be a flying Bomber in the early part of the Goulburn Valley Football League season at least.
Withers will fly from Darwin, where he lives with his pregnant girlfriend, to Melbourne each weekend to line up with the Bombers, club president Peter Croxford confirmed last week.
Withers, 34, has played 200 games with West Gippsland club Garfield and 100 games with Waratahs in the Northern Territory league.
He spent last season alongside fellow Kyabram recruits Balraj Singh and two-times best and fairest winner Chris Atkins at Central Murray league club Balranald.
``He currently has a good job in Darwin which he doesn't want to give up at this stage,'' Croxford said.
``He is prepared to fly down each weekend at this stage to see how things go.
``We have no objection to that as long as it doesn't affect his football.''
Croxford said Withers would fund his own flights south.
``We have a contract with him and it's up to him how he gets here to play,'' Croxford said.
``The club is not paying for any flights.''
Withers will miss the Bombers' opening two games, not making his first appearance with Kyabram until round three against Shepparton Swans.
He still has two games to serve of a three-week suspension leading up to the Northern Territory grand final two weeks ago, which cost him his spot in the Waratahs' grand final side which was thrashed by St Mary's.
Croxford said Withers would join the Bombers with a huge reputation as a tough and skilful on-baller whose experience alone is expected to provide the youthful Kyabram side with a lot more grunt and confidence.

Collyer injury causes Cats pain on eve of season
Ashleigh Williamson
Mooroopna's victory over Nathalia in its final hit-out before the start of the Goulburn Valley league season has been partially soured with a knee injury to Dan Collyer.
The 20-year-old was stretchered from the ground early in the second quarter after being caught awkwardly in a tackle.
``The initial testing with what they do seemed positive with the movement he had in the joint, so we hope it's not as bad as first thought,'' Mooroopna coach Brad Campbell said.
``Dan's a bloke that loves his footy and he's really passionate and very vocal at training and out on the ground when he's playing.
``He's respected by our coaching staff and his teammates and was voted a part of our leadership group, so we think he's a very important player for us.''
After playing his junior football with Mooroopna, Collyer spent last year commuting between VFL club Sandringham and the Cats before returning to the club permanently in the off-season.
His injury didn't stop Mooroopna from recording an 11-point victory over the reigning Murray Football League premier in what was an ideal result leading into its GVFL season opener against Echuca.
``The match had a similar intensity to that of a regular season game, so it was a good match to have before this weekend,'' Campbell said.
``(Heidelberg recruit) Marcus Dean had a really good game and Jake Cowman is going to be really good in the ruck for us.''
Veteran Jeff Vandermeer also took part in the game in what was his first practice match of the pre-season, but Campbell said he was unlikely to line-up against the Murray Bombers.
``He's probably two or three weeks away from coming into consideration for selection because we want to give him time to build his fitness up so he thinks he can be right to play,'' Campbell said.

Swans count blessings
Premiership hopeful Shepparton Swans has received a triple treat on the eve of the season with the signings of Northern Territory trio Jarred Illet, Henry Labastida and Iggy Vallejo.
Illett, a Mulrooney medallist with AFL Canberra club Belconnen and a dual Nichols medallist with St Mary's in Darwin, was set to join the Swans alongside Lucas White in 2005 before deciding to remain in the nation's capital.
Labastida, a highly skilled midfielder and past best and fairest winner at St Mary's, won the Central Australian Football League best and fairest last year and was a member of Wests' premiership team.
Vallejo, who has played with SANFL club Norwood and with Carlton's VFL affiliate, completes the Swans' trifecta.
The signings could prove to be a shot in the arm for the Swans, who have suffered major injury woes in their pre-season build-up.
Kane Uebergang suffered a broken hand last week and is expected to be sidelined for up to six weeks, while hard-nosed defender Simon Ryan could face more than a month on the sidelines with an injured shoulder.
Talented midfielder Nathan Bell, who was rushed back into last year's grand final team from injury, has also undergone minor surgery on his ankle and could miss the opening two or three rounds.
Michael Hare is slowly recovering from a knee reconstruction and is not expected back until midway through the season, while skipper Brett Warburton has been wrapped in cotton wool this pre-season with groin strains.
``It's been a rollercoaster ride the past couple of weeks,'' coach Peter White said.
``But obviously we're stoked with the guys we've been able to pick up and they all come highly credentialled in terms of ability and character.
``On the other hand it's going to be a really added bonus to our depth considering the injuries we've sustained in the past few weeks.
``The pre-season has been solid and the hit-out against Golden Square was great, but the injuries are a real concern at this stage.''
The Swans' season begins against last year's wooden-spooner Tatura on Saturday, April 12.

is a 3 time league medalist. he actually won 2 in the 1 year, 1 in the canberra league in winter and 1 in the darwin league in the summer. Iggy is a 4 time premiership player with Saint marys, was also their captain for 3 of them.
Henry Labastida is also league medalist in the CAFL Alice springs league.
They will be very exciting recruits
The Swannies may break new ground this year by having a number of 'recruits' playing in the 2's. Such is their depth, it's kinda scary. I wonder if the Swans 2's could match it with Echuca and Rochy 2's? These two should take all before them and play off in the GF again.

The Swannies may break new ground this year by having a number of 'recruits' playing in the 2's. Such is their depth, it's kinda scary. I wonder if the Swans 2's could match it with Echuca and Rochy 2's? These two should take all before them and play off in the GF again.

I agree. They probably have about 30 players that could play seniors and another 10 handy ressies/upcoming thirds. Should be competitive in ressies.

Did anyone get the Shepp News footy magazine? Is it any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. They probably have about 30 players that could play seniors and another 10 handy ressies/upcoming thirds. Should be competitive in ressies.

Did anyone get the Shepp News footy magazine? Is it any good?

It's pretty ordinary not the best one they have done, GV Review is okay but the rest of the leauges is pretty ordinary. the first one they did was great because it was the first but now i think they have just decided it something to do and didn't put to much effort into it.

But thats just my opinion.

Very strange indeed
Im thinking Sydney was the last team to fly players interstate each weekent to play football. A bell may also sound in my head that Carton did it not too long ago. Hmm maybe with mitchel. I know clubs have done it in the past for finals but really how well do Ky think it will work for a season. Much better to put the money into a play that will at least train. They can say their not paying for the tickets themselves, but really. Im sure the money they are paying this player more than covers it. Mind you this is the club that believes the big Indian will be good for its future!!

Im thinking Sydney was the last team to fly players interstate each weekent to play football. A bell may also sound in my head that Carton did it not too long ago. Hmm maybe with mitchel. I know clubs have done it in the past for finals but really how well do Ky think it will work for a season. Much better to put the money into a play that will at least train. They can say their not paying for the tickets themselves, but really. Im sure the money they are paying this player more than covers it. Mind you this is the club that believes the big Indian will be good for its future!!

Carlton did it with Andrew McKay when he was studying in Queensland. Might have been 1996 or 1997?

Hey boss, now that you have been cleared from the league, any chance you could clear off from this site? Your insipid opinions and cliche's are not warranted.

Obviously you know little then backyard as I have not be cleared to play anywhere yet. In fact, I was looking on the GV transfer list and nothing has even been submitted. I will remain on this site just to annoy you.

Obviously you know little then backyard as I have not be cleared to play anywhere yet. In fact, I was looking on the GV transfer list and nothing has even been submitted. I will remain on this site just to annoy you.
You annoy me to boss. Starting to post too many articles without your opinion. Dont get me wrong I like it that you post the articles but a bit of personal input would be good to go along with them. You have got you own opinion dont you???

can anyone tell me who mooroopna's new CHF from heidelburg is? i think it's craig waelan?

he play forward pocket/Full forward when we (Nath) played them last week, has good strong hands above head fairly quick and not a bad kick, think he kicked 2 or 3 against us not to sure.

can anyone tell me who mooroopna's new CHF from heidelburg is? i think it's craig waelan?

Craig Whelan is the bloke your refering to. He has a very strong pair of hands for his height, as he isnt overly tall to play key position. Is very accurate kick for goal. Injuries get to him though, hasnt played much footy in the last few years. Also cant remember the last time he played a full year of footy.

You annoy me to boss. Starting to post too many articles without your opinion. Dont get me wrong I like it that you post the articles but a bit of personal input would be good to go along with them. You have got you own opinion dont you???

Here is a bit of personal imput for you cellar.

Premier: Seymour
Runner Up: Shepparton Swans
Smokey: Euroa
Wooden Spoon: Tatura
Dissapointment: Mooroopna
League Medal: Shane Clayton
Leading Goalkicker: Saad Saad
Recruit of the year: Relton Roberts
Headline of the year: Money still doesnt buy Swans that elusive flag.

Would like to see others thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad