Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Yes, theres not many games that I travel outside Shep to see but this will be one of them.
I think Lamaro and Gibson are injured.
A question to you blokes- do you think a Shep team will make the Grand Final?

ondee said:
well united and the swans certainly won't be playing in a grand final this year so that only leaves shepp bears. I guess they'd be some sort of chance but at this stage I'd say no.

ondee said:
Yes, theres not many games that I travel outside Shep to see but this will be one of them.
I think Lamaro and Gibson are injured.

Both expected to return this weekend...

both euroa and seymour at full strength should be a cracker as for shepp and the grand final i think mansfield euroa and seymour are ahead of them at this stage but you would think the premier will come from one of them four

Was lucky enough to catch the Euroa/Seymour clash on the weekend . . . and must say Euroa will take some beating. Both sides were missing key players, but in difficult conditions, Euroa used the ball better early and were stronger through the middle for much of the match. Sage and Thomson were very good for the victors, with Grainger (4) and Bamford (3) important up forward. Was surprised Inness wasn't selected to play on Bamford, but must add Robbie was very good in the reserves game.
Schottner rucked superbly all day for Seymour, but the Lions couldn't capitalise on their skippers dominance with Joey Amad out injured and Haberman battling to have any real influence. Patty Rattray presented all day at CHF, and Tim Hooper tried.
I noticed Tat made it back to back wins, with me old Broady mate Kirbs amongst the best yet again. Tonny didn't score a goal against the Bears, tell me would have to be close to a first in GV footy, a side not registering a major???

Doona2 said:
Was lucky enough to catch the Euroa/Seymour clash on the weekend . . . and must say Euroa will take some beating. Both sides were missing key players, but in difficult conditions, Euroa used the ball better early and were stronger through the middle for much of the match. Sage and Thomson were very good for the victors, with Grainger (4) and Bamford (3) important up forward. Was surprised Inness wasn't selected to play on Bamford, but must add Robbie was very good in the reserves game.
Schottner rucked superbly all day for Seymour, but the Lions couldn't capitalise on their skippers dominance with Joey Amad out injured and Haberman battling to have any real influence. Patty Rattray presented all day at CHF, and Tim Hooper tried.
I noticed Tat made it back to back wins, with me old Broady mate Kirbs amongst the best yet again. Tonny didn't score a goal against the Bears, tell me would have to be close to a first in GV footy, a side not registering a major???

Good stuff.

I watched Rochester defeat Echuca by over 100 points. The weather was unbeliable - it was raining pretty hard and windy, which makes the result pretty interesting. Before the game, Rochester were 4 points ahead on the ladder.

Rochester now play Euroa at home next week. In round 2 they lost by 4 or 5 goals I think after being only a goal down at 3/4 time. Should be a good game.

Kyabram 10.12 bt Shepparton Swans 5.6
Mansfield 8.14 bt Benalla 8.8
Shepparton 15.9 bt Tongala 0.9
Tatura 6.9 bt Shepparton Utd 4.8
Rochester 19.15 bt Echuca 2.9
Euroa 10.11 bt Seymour 7.7

Doona2 said:
???

As the mighty red legs had the bye this week I made the trek up the hulme to watch a fantastic display of football in terrible conditions.
Euroas forwards missed a few easy shots early on, which could have seen them up by about 6 goals early. Thomson played a brilliant game on Saad keeping him to two handballs and a bull***** goal from the square after the ball fell into his hands for a mark after bouncing off his back. Steve Daniel didnt seem to impressed with Saad when he dragged him for the third and final time midway through the final term! Adrian Hammil was clearly best on ground playing off a back flank, and marked and cut off seymours drive into attack all day. For the lions Schottner was his usual self in the ruck, though the conditions didnt allow him to be as effective around the ground as normal, and Rattray was really damaging in the air until it started p*****g down rain half way through the third.
Great game of footy with the magpies looking very dangerous at the moment.

Without doubt, I think seymour and euroa would be the two most talanted sides going around in the competition. Shepparton, although lacking the talent of the maggies or lions are a very well drilled line up. They have some potential match winners in Ash, Byers, Hickmont and Mellington. Maybe their discipline/ system could surprise some more talented sides come september.

Travvy43 said:
Without doubt, I think seymour and euroa would be the two most talanted sides going around in the competition. Shepparton, although lacking the talent of the maggies or lions are a very well drilled line up. They have some potential match winners in Ash, Byers, Hickmont and Mellington. Maybe their discipline/ system could surprise some more talented sides come september.

Where do you blokes rate Benalla? Haven't beaten a side above them, although haven't been beaten by much when they have been beaten.

Saw a post on the VAFA thread comparing AFL sides to the AMMO sides and thought it might be good to bring up here. What AFL clubs have the same distinct feel or history as the GV clubs??

Seymour - St Kilda
After years of struggling and always looking to be able to have a real shot at a premiership they finnaly have the cattle and $$$ to get there. While we all know a few of the Seymour boys are wild and like a bit of trouble on and off the field it is not to disimiliur to the Saints.

Echuca - North Melbourne
They might not have alot of money but they are rarely out of the mix and have always been well coached. Seem to have that real fighting spirit and a bunch of guys who are loyal to the club. While not the most talented side they will never give up.

Euroa - Port Adelaide
Seem to be a bit hot and cold year to year while they have talent and money and are unbeatable on there day the club there is just that something missing that suggests they could be a power for years . Like Port of the last year they are expected to take the points at the end of the season, the problem is are they gonna choke??

Kyabram - Western Bulldogs
They always seem to have good youngsters and have solid experienced players but where is the depth?? Arent blessed with the money that alot of the other clubs and in recent times havent had that winning culture. Everyone can see that the potential is there but can the club bring the potential to the fore??

Benalla - Fremantle
Years of mediorcrity but for the first time in a long while they seem to have the cattle to really challenge yet for some unforseen reason they just cant string it together. Is it the culture?? is it the coaching?? is it the style of play?? the club have great youngsters and seem to be finacilly strong but why cant they go that step further??. All these questions are similiur to the ones fans will be asking of the Dockers come seasons end.

Mansfield - Brisbane
Sucessfull and strong, have the best coach in the league and the best bunch of quality experienced players in the league. While maybe not living up to potential and expectations so far this year there is that something about the side that suggest they are a time bomb ready to explode. Write them off at your own regard.

Mooroopana - Hawthorn
Cashed up but in recent times have never been any good, always seem to throw a bit of coin around and attract 1 or 2 star players a season but they never seem to be any good at the Cats. Potential is there and while we all know they are down the club have the smarts in administration to pick them up from the ditch they are in, a strong following is also a highlight of the club. Watch betting, could be a suprise next season.

Shepparton - Adelaide
Feral,money,history of success its the crows and bear all over.

Shepp Swans - Melbourne
Have a proud history and a older loyal band of supporters, recent times havent been the happiest but this proud football club always seem to give an honest account of them selves. With richer and bigger clubs surrounding them it makes it hard for this mob to kick on and become a power.

United - Collingwood
Everyone hates them and everone loves beating them. The club think there ******** dont stink but the rest of the league have proven otherewise. A club that is proud yeat arrogant and living in past success, a long way for them to find there feet before we can say anything positive.

Tatura - Essendon
The rolls royce of the GV, the club seems to have an endless supply of $$$ and fascilities that are the envy of everyone in the league. Are down at the moment but for how long is the question, if you think that this big club cant turn around there fortunes in 1 year then your blind. If there is a club in the league who can go from bottom to top in 1 season its Tatura.

Tongala - Fitzroy
Arrhhh

thoughts??

a.k.a. said:
What about rochester??

I would sneak them into essendon category. both have long term, well respected coaches and have been relatively successful over the past decade or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from all reports the top of the table clash lived up to expectation on saturday. i watched rochy flog echuca and they were very impressive to say the least. did gibson and lamaro play no mention of them again in match reports? they could be like new recruits come finals time. for any of you magpie fans beware the sleeping tiger they are well drilled disciplined and in red hot form to score the upset of the season on saturday. any thoughts?

tugga177 said:
from all reports the top of the table clash lived up to expectation on saturday. i watched rochy flog echuca and they were very impressive to say the least. did gibson and lamaro play no mention of them again in match reports? they could be like new recruits come finals time. for any of you magpie fans beware the sleeping tiger they are well drilled disciplined and in red hot form to score the upset of the season on saturday. any thoughts?

Gibson and Lamaro played, and Rochy won't beat Euroa...one slip up could cost the Maggies a top two spot...

tugga177 said:

Both Gibson and Lamaro played but didn't have any impact.

If Euroa were ever going to slip up in a game they are expected to win then this wk is it. The game is @ Rochy and I cant remember the pies claiming the points over there in the last 5-10 years. The word is Euroa Coach Gleeson is constanly at his charges about taking their foot off the pedal and I'd expect this wk to be no different down at memorial oval.

Junkie said:
If Euroa were ever going to slip up in a game they are expected to win then this wk is it. The game is @ Rochy and I cant remember the pies claiming the points over there in the last 5-10 years. The word is Euroa Coach Gleeson is constanly at his charges about taking their foot off the pedal and I'd expect this wk to be no different down at memorial oval.

Should be a good game Junkie. Rochy have Eurora and then Seymour over the next 2 weeks so they would be keen win at lease one of those.

Are you making the journey over?

I have been told this week that euroa haven't beaten rochy in rochy for 12 years or something. obviously the magpies are a lot stronger now than they were, however I most definately will not be writing the tigers off this week. were only beaten by 3 goals or something to them in round 2 wasn't it??

tugga177 said:

You say they could be like new recruits for Rochy - watch out for the Doolan brothers also who have come out of retirement, both fit as a fiddle, not an ounce of fat on them, agile and silky smooth skills. Looks like Rochy have secured their spot in the finals now so watch out!

jmain14 said:
I have been told this week that euroa haven't beaten rochy in rochy for 12 years or something. obviously the magpies are a lot stronger now than they were, however I most definately will not be writing the tigers off this week. were only beaten by 3 goals or something to them in round 2 wasn't it??

Had a look at the GV website and it was 30 points. Completely different euroa side this time round though, with them putting their full strength side on the field last week bar Howse. David Williams is an exceptional coach and manages to squeeze a lot out of his players, though I'm sure Gleeson will be drilling into his players the importance of winning danger games like these. I think the chance to break a 12 year drought over at rochy should provide the euroa players plenty of motivation to get themselves up for this game.

Anyone know how the Rochy ground is holding up with all the rain of late?

Had a few games where he's kicked a bag full, but hardly worth all the money he'd be on. No doubt he'll move on to rob another club blind next year...

a.k.a. said:

Anyone know how the Rochy ground is holding up with all the rain of late?

Played at rochester 3 weeks ago now which was the first weekend of the wet and well it was wet and boggy, so after an additional two weeks of wet i can only assume it is heavy. Two ticks though for the club in installing the new undercover area, it was badly overdue

Was lucky enough to attend the top of the table clash between euroa and seymour on saturday in the rain. It was a very good game with euroa proving that are a very strong team. By all reports both teams were at full strength minus howse for euroa and amad for seymour. After watching that game i believe seymour will not beat euroa at all. saad was shut perfectly by thomson and collins was shut down by shelton and mcbrien. euroas midfeild was to strong and seymours backline is suspect. euroa will beat a dertimined rochy outfit this weekend as they will have to many strengths over the ground. My tip is it will be either euroa or mansfeid celebrating come the end of september. Gibson and lamaro will get better with the runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad