Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

just seen in the boder mail Ricky Symes is out he has had arthroscopic surgery this week on his knee. Macfarlane said they are hoping to have him back for round 4 aganist shepp

Here's that article lads...

Symes’ injury forces Saints to experiment

BY ROB HARRIS

BENALLA will be without key forward Ricky Symes for up to a month after the century goal kicker under goes arthroscopic surgery this week.
Symes, who booted seven goals in the Saints opening round win against Mansfield, won’t be lining up for the match of the round against reigning premier Seymour in the second round of the Goulburn Valley Football League this weekend.
Coach Jason MacFarlane said the short absence of his star forward would help the club discover what other options it had up forward.
“The plan at the moment is that Ricky will be back against Shepp in round four because it’s only a bit of a clean out that really hasn’t got much better over the pre-season,” MacFarlane said.
“It’s certainly going to give us some other options because Mark Porter, Brett Vallender and of course Mark Mackenzie have all played at full-forward before and they’re more than capable.
“Having said that against a team like Seymour there isn’t much room to experiment and they’re certainly going to be up and running after a tough game last week.”
MacFarlane said the club had plenty of improvement left after a scrappy and tough tussle against Mansfield last week.
Mansfield has the chance to bounce back when it takes on Kyabram at home, while the ever-reliable Rochester will have its work cut out when it takes Euroa at Rochester.
An ever-improving Tatura locks horns with Echuca, while Shepparton United plays host to a talented Mooroopna line-up which consists of ex-AFL players Karl Norman, Blake Campbell and Derek Hall.

ECHUCABOY said:
Boys boys boys, no input from blokes from other sides......Where have all the Rochy boys got to..............very very quiet mob of blokes at the moment....

Was very impressed with Echuca on the weekend, for what I saw of the game.......The mammoth Stephen White would have to have the best leg in the gvfl, woowee can he kick the footy.

The boys are looking good at the moment, hopefully not too many injuries and they'll be in the mix.

Cheers. Well done to the lions, You Euroa trash just aren't good enough....;)

Didn't catch the game, but I heard the standard was pretty good and it was pretty close up until the last quarter.

For Rochy, interleague ruckman Sam Brennan went off in the 1st quarter with a hammy and will probably miss a few weeks. The Bendigo boys were pretty good with Elliott Bowen very impressive, as was Daniel Schmidt and Russell Weekley.

With Euroa and Seymour in the next two weeks, Rochy could be trouble pretty early and I'm not sure if they have the players to make the finals. Time will tell, but it's a pretty young list.

Didn't hear much about Echuca, but I heard that Maddox was very good, as was Durie and the new recruit, White. He looks like a massive unit.

bradrowe#32 said:
Didn't catch the game, but I heard the standard was pretty good and it was pretty close up until the last quarter.

For Rochy, interleague ruckman Sam Brennan went off in the 1st quarter with a hammy and will probably miss a few weeks. The Bendigo boys were pretty good with Elliott Bowen very impressive, as was Daniel Schmidt and Russell Weekley.

With Euroa and Seymour in the next two weeks, Rochy could be trouble pretty early and I'm not sure if they have the players to make the finals. Time will tell, but it's a pretty young list.

Didn't hear much about Echuca, but I heard that Maddox was very good, as was Durie and the new recruit, White. He looks like a massive unit.

The standard was good up untill half time, thats when the wind really picked up and both sides turned the ball over regularly. Brennan is a huge lose 4 rochy and once he went off the tigers had 2 stuff around with their structure with CHF kahl oliver going into the ruck with a bit of sucsess. Echuca's pressure was good in the rochy kick in's turning over and goaling numerous times. The big fella white was a stand out for echuca, he's a massive massive man and rochy really had trouble taming him.

Yeah I heard that Archard is carving it up in the SANFL. Boy can that kid play!
I also see that young Ben Wilson kicked 2 goals for North Beach over in Perth.
Anyone else have any news on the players that have left the GVFL?

Doozy_Man said:
Anyone else have any news on the players that have left the GVFL?

Mench kicked 10 in his first outing for Grovedale in the Geelong Football League.

fat back pocket said:
Whip, i'm thinking after sat that Grandale is going to have you in his sights next time we play...after the goal kicking master sat 3/4 on the pine after a slow pre-season, the whip gave him a welcome back to footy style coat-hanger which left Grandale without the ability to breathe let alone smash cans all night...so he put a drip in and filled it with SFNC's finest ale...a premiership label beer curtesy of Joffa Anderson...thanks Joffa.

Very funny stuff...how's the throat Grandale? Can you talk yet?

Thanks for the concern Fatty, but I've actually got to thank The Whip. Although leaving me feeling like Rick Disneck ("I crushed my larynx") for a few seconds, his David Rhys-Jones special has added a degree of huskiness to my dulcet tones that is driving the princess wild. So thanks Mr Whippy.
In other news, word out of Seymour town is that laconic Seymour Magoos defender Glen Dowling had an encounter with the hairdresser's scissors during the week...why oh why would he do such a thing after playing arguably his best game in 2 years last week against the Maggies?

Grandale said:
Thanks for the concern Fatty, but I've actually got to thank The Whip. Although leaving me feeling like Rick Disneck ("I crushed my larynx") for a few seconds, his David Rhys-Jones special has added a degree of huskiness to my dulcet tones that is driving the princess wild. So thanks Mr Whippy.
In other news, word out of Seymour town is that laconic Seymour Magoos defender Glen Dowling had an encounter with the hairdresser's scissors during the week...why oh why would he do such a thing after playing arguably his best game in 2 years last week against the Maggies?

What happened Rick did you blow a sandshoe or did u just F#*K Up?

Maybe #1 Joffa had a snip this week also . . . .I swear young Sadie was a dead ringer for Joffa last Satdy with the long sleever and the way he moved round the park. Has Benny and his crew come to their senses and picked you on the ground after a big final term last week?

Doona2 said:
What happened Rick did you blow a sandshoe or did u just F#*K Up?

No Darrell, I just f#*ked up.

Well Darrell, I crushed my larynx, I broke my jaw and all of my ribs, Both my lungs were punctured, I rumptured my spleen and I also suffered some minor bruising to my body.

Flat Track Bully said:
No Darrell, I just f#*ked up.

Well Darrell, I crushed my larynx, I broke my jaw and all of my ribs, Both my lungs were punctured, I rumptured my spleen and I also suffered some minor bruising to my body.
A few of the boys from the riverina went down to the pies lions game on sat. They were impressed with the whole thing, but even more impressed with saad saad. They were wondering why he did not make the AFL.

head67 said:
A few of the boys from the riverina went down to the pies lions game on sat. They were impressed with the whole thing, but even more impressed with saad saad. They were wondering why he did not make the AFL.

There's a reason why he didn't make AFL....his doesn't chase, he can only play forward and has no defensive skills, there your answer head67.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Saturday at Memorial Oval, who was the big bloke spotted in the Lions rooms before the game. He had an uncanny resemblance to the person handing out SDCA A Grade Grand Final medals a few weeks back at Avenel and was a dead ringer for the bloke who sat in Yea's time keepers box last season. Though I'm not quite sure of his name.
What's his role at Seymour, if any of the Pride know?
I think he works at Nestle. Maybe Doon can confirm that this is the fella that had a connection with the Tiges last season.

M.WEBBER said:
There's a reason why he didn't make AFL....his doesn't chase, he can only play forward and has no defensive skills, there your answer head67.
Very naive post there Webster. I dont know too many forwards who are good at chasing, and aside from that I believe Saad played predominantly as an onballer at the bullants.

In any case - so what if you think he can only play forward. The bulk of players recruited to AFL are picked with a certain role in mind. Do you think Jeff Farmer was originally drafted by Melbourne (then Freo) to be a full back or play permanently on ball?

If anything, Saad didn't get drafted because he's possibly too small for what AFL clubs are looking for, as well as the fact that his work rate would be below the expectations of that level of footy.

Not commenting on Saad (he's an exceptional player, very, very quick reflexes) but most AFL forwards will chase pretty hard.

scotywok said:
Speaking of Saturday at Memorial Oval, who was the big bloke spotted in the Lions rooms before the game. He had an uncanny resemblance to the person handing out SDCA A Grade Grand Final medals a few weeks back at Avenel and was a dead ringer for the bloke who sat in Yea's time keepers box last season. Though I'm not quite sure of his name.
I think he works at Nestle. Maybe Doon can confirm that this is the fella that had a connection with the Tiges last season.

Just went and asked around at work and turns out our (Yea) timekeeper from 2005 has sacked us and jumped onboard and got a membership at Seymour coz he reckon's they're a better chance of flag than Yea . . . . . faiweather supporter if ya ask me!!! Reckon's he'll be back when Saad Saad and joey Amad leave and says they're good blokes coz he was talking to them in the rooms b4 the big Euroa clash.

no official role but desperate to try and grab the number 1 fan's title at Kings Park.

His name by the way is Stewie Crockett . . . . guess Yea's loss is a big gain for the lions!!!

Duff Man said:
Very naive post there Webster. I dont know too many forwards who are good at chasing, and aside from that I believe Saad played predominantly as an onballer at the bullants.

In any case - so what if you think he can only play forward. The bulk of players recruited to AFL are picked with a certain role in mind. Do you think Jeff Farmer was originally drafted by Melbourne (then Freo) to be a full back or play permanently on ball?

If anything, Saad didn't get drafted because he's possibly too small for what AFL clubs are looking for, as well as the fact that his work rate would be below the expectations of that level of footy.

Duff man, fair call. I have seen the boy play keep in mind most league footballers can play in a range of positions, that why they are drafted and listed players.

Also keep in mind he played Forward line at the bullants and when he did play senoirs there, it was off the bench in rotation. Saad can play, just not good enough to take that next step.

In regards to Farmer, well where do l started....his special! :thumbsu:

scotywok said:

Yeah heard the lions had a problem on saturday as they went to head out onto the ground. Seems they found the doors to the change rooms were blocked by a big oath of a man! They didn't panic tho and proceded out the side door!

Can someone (Doona) post the sides for this weekends game in the paper?? i know they are very rarely right but for those who follow the GV in Melbourne its a chance to see what names are where.

ROCHESTER vs EUROA

Rochester
B: Pappin, Williams, Penny
HB: McPhee, Weekley, Schmidt
C: Hyden, Aitken, Cuttriss
HF: Montague, Bowen, Letcher
F: Whipp, Whitsed, M. McKenzie
Foll: Oliver, McCarty, Moon
Inter: L. McKenzie, Cavallaro, Haitsma
Emerg: Bubb

Euroa
B: Poole, Watson, Hammill
HB: Thomson, Hilton, Carracher
C: Mills, Sage, O'Brien
HF: Bamford, Hyatt, Gilliland
F: Clark, Grainger, Gibson
Foll: Jansz, Stott, S. Clayton
Inter: M. Clayton, Tate, King

TATURA vs ECHUCA

Tatura
B: Jones, MacDonald, Shaw
HB: Downey, Lanyon, B. Wellington
C: Thorn, Warnett. L. Wellington
HF: Pollard, Willoughby, Scarcella
F: Loughnan, Maher, Roberts
Foll: Crawford, Dagger, McGrath
Inter: Butler, Keast, Pollard

Echuca
B: S. Maddox, Sutton, J. Maddox
HB: Prendergast, White, Halloran
C: McKittrick, Casey, Pitson
HF: Agg, Butler, Campbell
F: Nance, Kennaugh, Campbell
Foll: Smith, Durie, Treacy
Inter: Crossman, Hitchens, Howman

SHEPP SWANS vs SHEPPARTON

Swans
B: Ballinger, Stratham, Nalder
HB: H. Best, Bruinier, Sali
C: Veal, Ryan, Maher
HF: McCarthy, White, Warburton
F: Barton, Dundovic, Uebergang
Foll: Sutherland, Fitzpatrick, Montgomery
Inter: Frappell, Duffy, Hebbard
Emerg: Thyer, Rowston, Gibbs

Shepparton
SHEPPARTON
B: Archer, King, McIntyre
HB: Jaques, Mellington, Feldtmann
C: Thorsen, Byers, Hiscock
HF: O'Brien, Shadbolt, Kennelly
F: Chapman, Saunders, Cullinan
Foll: Harrap, Allan, Jones
Inter: Dudgeon, McInnes, Sofi

MANSFIELD vs KYABRAM

Mansfield
B: Wheeler, Stevenson, Smith
HB: Trenfield, Taylor, Hopkins
C: Storer, Hotton, M. Walker
HF: Stevenson, D. Walker, Roy
F: Gallagher, J. Walker, Herridge
Foll: Jones, Hotton, Reynoldson
Inter: Mahoney, Sonneberg, Brown

Kyabram
B: Chambers, Fleming, Pell
HB: Oughton, Morgan, Quinn
C: Burnett, Taylor, Martin
HF: Sierakowski, Barnett, Emmett
F: Weardon, Adamson, Newman
Foll: Morgan, McCormack, Finn
Inter: Courtney, Finn, Cooper

SHEPP UNITED vs MOOROOPNA

United
SHEPPARTON UNITED
B: Carroll, McLarty, Koullas
HB: D. Barlow, Schirmer, Bovalino
C: M. Barlow, Dawes, T. Sidebottom
HF: Guilmartin, Gillespie, S. Scott
F: Eddy, Forys, M. Sidebottom
Foll: Cowman, S. Hazelman, Smith
Inter: Round, Godsmark, Halford

Mooroopna
B: Boyer, LaPorta, Connally
HB: Collyer, Hall, LeBrocq
C: Tremellen, Aloi, Brad Campbell
HF: Blake Campbell. Singh, Best
F: Neville, Osborne, Robbins
Foll: Norman, Vandermeer, Learmonth
Inter: Kendall, Gemmill, Mellington, Cassimaty

SEYMOUR vs BENALLA

Seymour
B: T. Hooper, M. Pilling, Jeff Anderson
HB: A. Reid, M. O'Keeffe, P. King
C: R. Van Reit, J. Amad, Jake Anderson
HF: B. Colbert, S. Schottner, S. Saad
F: B. Liddell, S. Gordon, M. Penn
Foll: B. Bailey, P. Scanlon, B. Haberman
Inter: G. Liddell, B. Davey, G. Pemberton

Benalla
B: J. Martiniello, Fahey, Joyce
H: Polwarth, Evans, Stevens
C: Sharp, MacFarlane, Wright
HF: A. Symes, Vallender, Cole
F: Priest, MacKenzie, VanSchaik
Foll: Porter, Stevens, Shiels
Inter: D. Symes, Ferguson, R. Martiniello

Rochester V Euroa

Tatura v Echuca

Shepp United v Mooroopna

Shepp Swans[/B] v Shepparton

Mansfield v Kyabram

Seymour v Benalla

TATURA
B: Jones, MacDonald, Shaw
HB: Downey, Lanyon, B. Wellington
C: Thorn, Warnett. L. Wellington
HF: Pollard, Willoughby, Scarcella
F: Loughnan, Maher, Roberts
Foll: Crawford, Dagger, McGrath
Inter: Butler, Keast, Pollard

Hey Tige what's the go with Kirbs is he injured? Also I thought the Dog's had picked up Brett Creighton is he missing also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad