Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives to take out of this game.

• Cow(play him round 1)
  • Hollands:heavycheck:
  • Dow( I'd take his lightning hands from heavy congestion to free up outside players over his supposed lack of defensive running every day)
  • At least we now know(early in the season) that our transition out of defence, bombing the ball into the fwd 50 and snail pace in general haven't improved over summer.(we're going to miss Zac & Boyd
  • The camera work was a big improvement from last week.
Also I'd like to see a bit more honesty at the post game press conference....like "we were shite today, instead of detailing how good the opposition are."

Not this game, but more of a list need that I feel should be a focus and has for some time, which is more speed/agility and more precise kicking and or better users

Guys line Gov, Martin, Cuners, Boyd, Williams, Newman, have at least one of those traits, but as we know, they are either injury prone or at the backed of their careers
Weird thing is it feels like we've been saying this for years, in one way or another.

Some observations from the game having watched it a second time:
- I’m sure the players will bring better intensity to round one than they had tonight’s scratch match
- it was good that the likes of Charlie, Pitto, Weiters, Saad, Hewett, Kennedy and Doc got through a hit our without injury
- Cincotta, Cowan and Hollands all had a decent crack, Motlop looked lively again and Acres showed he will play the role we need him to
- in Williams and Boyd’s absence I think we have little option but to play Doc back as we otherwise lack run albeit we probably looked worse given Saad was just in cruise control and Newman was out
- half forward line is still a big issue IMO failing to hit the scoreboard and locking the ball in (Fisher and Honey in particular looked lost at times and Motlop gave away silly frees), although SOS and Owies battled hard once again their finishing let them down
- I thought both our rucks were fine albeit last night probably reinforced that neither can play forward so I’m still not sure if we’ll play both in the regular season
- it was disappointing that our our second and third tier players failed to fire like Cerra, Young, Dow, LOB, Fisher, Honey and Plowman especially when compared to some of theirs who were great (Gulden, McInerney, McDonald, Blakey, Campbell, Stephens, Rowbottom).
- our ball use in general wasn’t as effective as theirs
- I could see more commitment to transition defence but we still got caught out at times
- we made more dumb decisions
with and without the football than they did which is something we’ve been guilty of for a while and needs to improve as we get more experienced, sadly Plowman remains the poster boy for these issues and we surely have to move past him this season

Not overly fussed about the result although a lot of those areas for improvement mentioned above were issues we have faced last year so hopefully we can figure it out over the course of the year.

The above post uses excuses to create optimism for rnd 1. t is too far away from reality below.

Cripps- does not help transition
Mckay- does not help transition
Walsh- unavailable
Newman- helps
Gov- big in.
Martin what are we going to get?
Durdin/Marchbank- underdone
Michael, it is absolutely crazy to draw conclusions from a practice game, teams are trialling many things, but based on your history you will always look to any negativity for your posting.

Suggest you wait 6 games into the season, before making any conclusions on the team, overall we have a good list, up to the team & coaching team to have evolved the game plan and that consistent mental effort to be switched on each week.

Do those bemoaning a "lack of Plan B" honestly believe that the time to roll out Plan B is in a preseason game against a genuine flag contender with 6 of our top 10 missing?

It was a training run and an audition for the kids and fringe players. Cards close to the chest, no intel for the opposition. Senior players just getting through without injury, Hollands, Cowan and Cincotta making a case for selection, Plowman making a case for delisting, Dow showing he's now more capable of getting involved away from stoppage, Pitto getting some managed minutes.

That game was not about game plans and layers and results. Sydney were without a quality mid/utility in Mills, a small forward in Papley, and their starting ruck in Hickey. Other than that, they were effectively full strength. And they're a very good side. We were down 8 of our likely starting side - Cripps, McKay, McGovern, Newman, Walsh, Williams, Durdin, Martin. Half the backline, half the forward line, and our two best mids.

We got what we wanted out of that game. A look at our depth, and no injuries to our seniors.

I thought we were absolute certainties for the eight after we won the Wizard (?) Cup in 2005.

I reckon it’s almost impossible to tell how a side is travelling based on pre-season form. Perhaps we are in trouble. But perhaps we aren’t.
Yes, despite the know it alls telling others what to think and how to feel (has to be the worst element of BF) no-one can say for sure how this year will pan out.
We could legitimately have 3 of the best 10 players in the game and others such as Weitering (despite being out of form for too long now) Saad, Docherty etc being excellent AFL footballers. So there is v good reason to be optimistic. Everything clicks could be too 4.

But the pessimists have a case too. We only have 1 key defender, we have a big issue in ruck, no forwards outside the big 2 who give any fear to opposition back lines and an inability to stop opposition transition consistently. We have too many ‘foot soldiers’. Good teams carry a few but we have too many. So people who are worried have reason to be as well - especially when told by experts on here for 6 years on a row to chill out.

I going in to every game thinking we can win but I can see the holes and until people like Silvagni and Fish (100 games each soon) start to become v good AFL footballers instead of average AFL footballers (and others not picking on them as both do a sound job) we will continue to win some and lose some.

I didn’t see any of this game which seems like a good choice, I’m not overly concerned with specific results of a practice match though.

What’s a big concern is that after 6 full months since the end of last season, Marchbank, Gov and Martin have failed to get up for either game.

If these guys and you could add the other constantly injured players to the list, can’t get through 6 months if not playing football, how will any of them make a reasonable contribution during the season?

Not this game, but more of a list need that I feel should be a focus and has for some time, which is more speed/agility and more precise kicking and or better users

Guys line Gov, Martin, Cuners, Boyd, Williams, Newman, have at least one of those traits, but as we know, they are either injury prone or at the backed of their careers
We are looking a lot like the Crows midfield that lost the grand final due to a lack of pace.
Maybe we need to try and turn Honey into a midfielder, he's got the traits we require no harm in trying this in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The above post uses excuses to create optimism for rnd 1. t is too far away from reality below.

Cripps- does not help transition
Mckay- does not help transition
Walsh- unavailable
Newman- helps
Gov- big in.
Martin what are we going to get?
Durdin/Marchbank- underdone
Whoooska…. Straight over your head, as expected. I’m as passionate as the next and was screaming my head off during the game. But take a balanced view mate and see it for what it was. I guess Geelong are also gone after this week’s performance?

We didnt do the requisite work during trade week.

Naysayers suggest I turn up on the forums when we lose, and I am negative. I am a realist.

End of 2022 season, the club came out and said we would be shaking things up. Reality was 1 trade at trade week. Acres.

When we probably needed to be more daring to recruit a good ruck, key defensive depth and a good small fwd.

Honey, owies, fisher etc. In those conditions we should expect tackling and fwd pressure, I didnt see it. Motlop will be ok.

The 4 new draftees are fine in my book. As is cincotta.

The shake up. Delist Stocker. Whatever.
Move on setters for a packet of chips, with reports suggesting we wanted to keep him but he was out of contract vs. Dow. Not ideal.

Expectation is finals. Voss and co. have no excuses. They had the chance to make change, they now have to deliver with the list we have.

Additionally, most of us though Voss needed game day help in the box. No further chnages to coaching mix. That was disappointing

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
couldn't agree more.....

I know it’s only a practice match but the melts are absolutely justified, deplorable efforts from these guys… lift your friggin game!!

Cripps
Mckay
Walsh
Gov
Martin
Marchbank
Newman
C. Durdin

Did I miss anyone else that stunk it up tonight?
Meh it was only a practice match. We were pre season premiers in 2005 and 2007 after all, and that didn't really do us much good in the end did it?

What's the point in showing your best hand in a meaningless pre season game? We'll smash those Tigers in round one and then take things from there.

Not really disappointed not really excited but
Last nights match was good for some players to get a run and a solid hit out. and some more learnings for our group.
We have
Walsh
Cripps
McKay
Mclovin
Marchy
Martin
Newman
And C durdin to come in. That changes everything and probably the result

Out half forward line is our weakest area, Fisher, Honey, Owies, Silvagni etc are all very average footballers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We definitely need a reliable 3rd and 4th avenue to goal.

I think Motlop WILL be that guy in 12 months time, I’m quietly confident he can make it happen this year.

Would like to see Martin start deep when he does come back.

I going in to every game thinking we can win but I can see the holes and until people like Silvagni and Fish (100 games each soon) start to become v good AFL footballers instead of average AFL footballers (and others not picking on them as both do a sound job) we will continue to win some and lose some.
I go into every game with confidence of winning and enjoy watching Carlton, no matter what the end result.
Thought JSOS tried his guts out and appears to be more mobile this year.
Fisher was appalling and Honey looked out of his depth. Hope we can find some more effective replacements at half forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back