Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

The main conundrum we have is our ruck.Do we play both or one of and Jsos chops the other one out.

The half back issue ‘may’ be ok with Cowan/Cincotta.

Mitch and Caleb are the unknowns.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would prefer the one ruck (TDK) and JSOS option. Gives us the option to include another runner. Jack proved quite effective in this role and becomes a fourth midfielder at the stoppage. I think Jack provides more value to the team in this role than playing as a designated third forward. This set up also allows us to look at Kemp as an option for third tall.

If Lemmey comes on quick, maybe he can play the second ruck/forward role.

I'll just leave this here ...

FqSisVcaMAEqstE

FqNmUY7agAAzwGO

We had to be taking the piss last night. Very uninspiring and as someone pointed out it's indicative of mindset when two newbies are showing more endeavour than the bulk of the team.

Perhaps the aim was purely to get run in people's legs and not sustain injuries. If so, it worked a treat.

The practice matches, to me, haven't revealed anything different about our game plan. Hopefully this is by design. I guess the answer will be revealed very soon.

Slow, boring ball movement mostly all the way through a match and bombing the ball high and long into the F50, will be to our detriment in the real stuff.

Lewis Young looks lost and the spoil last night, towards the end of the game, that resulted in an easy goal to them sums up where he is at. The only option in that play was to attempt to mark the ball. He is a real worry. I don't like it when he has ball in hand either. In his short time on the field Sam Durdin showed more physicality and a preparedness to compete and stand his opponent. Lachie Plowman continues to play football stoned. Our ruckman were very ineffective against average opposition. We allowed the Swans to exit D50 basically unopposed.

Hats off to Dutchy, Moo Cow, JSOS, Georgey, Doc and Weiters. They had a crack for the whole game. Charlie was Ok but outnumbered at a lot of contests and Matt Kennedy started well but faded out.

I know we were missing some integral players and practice matches ultimately mean nothing, but shouldn't we for at least part of a match, be practising being the best version of what we will be regardless of the result. Maybe we were. Geez, I hope not.

Bring on round 1 and some reality.
Thought I was the only one regarding young … I’d much prefer him anywhere but in defence hopefully with Gov and Marchy back we can look at other options …

Thought I was the only one regarding young … I’d much prefer him anywhere but in defence hopefully with Gov and Marchy back we can look at other options …
Young was great for us in defence in 2022 and it was his first year for us. What would be the reasoning for moving him out of that position?

cause every game has to grow the game..... anything else you're not happy about? aside from everything I mean?

Why the personal attack / comment? I don't think I've ever done that to you but you for some reason feel that’s your right.

If you don't agree with my comment feel free to disagree. Why can't you stop there? Every time the snarky personal comment.

Granted he made some poor mistakes with and without the ball but he seemed to be in the right spot a lot of the time. Given this is year 2 it’s not unexpected he lacks some poise in decision making and I’m confident it’ll come with more exposure at the highest level.

I’m far more worried about the rest of our half forward options all of whom still have the same significant hanging over them, specifically:
- SOS and Owies work their arses off but can’t finish
- Fisher needs to do a lot more than what he did last night
- Honey looks out of his depth
- Martin’s always a chance to be injured
- Durdin I’m less worried about but will be starting the season underdone.
IMO these are same issues as last year and again the half forward line is looking like our Achilles heel. If nobody stands up this season I’d be looking to trade a ready made half forward in a bit like what we did getting Acres to solve our issues on the wings.

Agreed. I did not read much into last night re. Motlop. Small forward is the toughest job on the ground according to Voss and I agree.

Look forward to seeing him on the G against tigs.

Just hope Durdin can get back as I think he's our best small forward and if Owies can start kicking a bit straighter he'll be dangerous also. He's not my favourite but jeez he can stick a tackle.

We had to be taking the piss last night. Very uninspiring and as someone pointed out it's indicative of mindset when two newbies are showing more endeavour than the bulk of the team.

Perhaps the aim was purely to get run in people's legs and not sustain injuries. If so, it worked a treat.

The practice matches, to me, haven't revealed anything different about our game plan. Hopefully this is by design. I guess the answer will be revealed very soon.

Slow, boring ball movement mostly all the way through a match and bombing the ball high and long into the F50, will be to our detriment in the real stuff.

Lewis Young looks lost and the spoil last night, towards the end of the game, that resulted in an easy goal to them sums up where he is at. The only option in that play was to attempt to mark the ball. He is a real worry. I don't like it when he has ball in hand either. In his short time on the field Sam Durdin showed more physicality and a preparedness to compete and stand his opponent. Lachie Plowman continues to play football stoned. Our ruckman were very ineffective against average opposition. We allowed the Swans to exit D50 basically unopposed.

Hats off to Dutchy, Moo Cow, JSOS, Georgey, Doc and Weiters. They had a crack for the whole game. Charlie was Ok but outnumbered at a lot of contests and Matt Kennedy started well but faded out.

I know we were missing some integral players and practice matches ultimately mean nothing, but shouldn't we for at least part of a match, be practising being the best version of what we will be regardless of the result. Maybe we were. Geez, I hope not.

Bring on round 1 and some reality.

Big positive last night was no injuries and I thought Hollands put his hand up again. SOS was very good again and I think him, Charlie and H looks to be our best forward structure.
Last night clarified that TDK is a better ruckman than fwd right now.

Cowan is a great addition. He and Hollands proving you can add value year 1 out of the draft (hopefully it continues) and even if TDK leaves as long as we get 2 high draft picks in compensation we could finish in front.

Relieved to see Doc go so well last night.

Cincotta and Acres are also positives from the preseason. We'll definitely be better this year for their inclusion.

Can't say I love our gameplan but I can see why they do it. The long bombs forward might result in us having one of the worst forward efficiencies in the comp but also makes us one of the hardest to score against thanks to the turnovers happening deep in our forward line. Would be brilliant to see a few less intercept marks and easy D50 exits but also mix it up a lot more and be less predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main conundrum we have is our ruck.Do we play both or one of and Jsos chops the other one out.

The half back issue ‘may’ be ok with Cowan/Cincotta.

Mitch and Caleb are the unknowns.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is.a discussion we have had for the past 3 years, we should have been aggressive chasing Grundy, even if it costs us Acres and TDK.. It’s been obvious for some time our biggest weakness is no genuine AFL standard ruck.. Some on here have delusions that Pittonet is the answer because of some BS stats from the first 5 rounds last year.. As for playing 2 poor ruckmen in the 1 side, I say helllll no.. JSOS is an adequate back up when required. Pick either TDK or Pitto and role with them and the other plays in the 2s

Sydney were missing Mills, Papley and Hickey so they were hardly at full strength. I can handle seasoned performers like Weiters, Saad, Charlie, Hewett etc cruising through pre season games (or rested in Cripps and
McKays case) but guys like Cerra, TDK, Young, Fisher, Owies, LOB are still to prove themselves as consistent performers and IMO should be putting their best foot forward in practice matches. Compare and contrast to their equivalents at Sydney - Gulden, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, Blakey, McDonald etc all of whom came to play.

I’m not overly fussed about the result and the ins will make a huge difference come round 1 when I’m sure we’ll bring better intensity but IMO we are still very reliant on the top enders and the chasm to the next rung below needs be closed if we are to have anything that resembles success.

The most important take out for both teams was no more injuries. Both teams have long enough injury lists already.

Game provided a handy hit out for senior players in need of a run.

It was also a good chance for fringe and young players to show their stuff and there was a bit to take out for both Clubs.

As ever the result doesn't matter for either team. If my mob win a praccy it is usually by accident, not design. Gulden' s determination to show he should get midfield minutes this season was probably the difference. That kid failed to read the script about praccy matches.

Good luck for the season.

It's kind of impossible to interpret a practice match without knowing what we were trying to achieve. Were we trying to win the game? Try out some game style modifications? Try out some team structure modifications? Compare different players in certain positions? Get some game time into certain players without injury? etc.

As anyone who is familiar with evidence-based assessment knows, a failed experiment can still be a positive result: now you know that whatever you tried doesn't work. Ugly as the first quarter was, it's entirely possible that it still added to our knowledge in a useful way. Really don't think the result is remotely worth worrying about.

I haven’t watched the game. But all summer our lads have been training to bring an intense game. If there was no intensity last night, I think it’s fair to say we were holding back.

This is.a discussion we have had for the past 3 years, we should have been aggressive chasing Grundy, even if it costs us Acres and TDK.. It’s been obvious for some time our biggest weakness is no genuine AFL standard ruck.. Some on here have delusions that Pittonet is the answer because of some BS stats from the first 5 rounds last year.. As for playing 2 poor ruckmen in the 1 side, I say helllll no.. JSOS is an adequate back up when required. Pick either TDK or Pitto and role with them and the other plays in the 2s

JSOS is not an adequate back up ruck.

He has been one of our best performers this pre-season. Leave him at HFF.

This is.a discussion we have had for the past 3 years, we should have been aggressive chasing Grundy, even if it costs us Acres and TDK.. It’s been obvious for some time our biggest weakness is no genuine AFL standard ruck.

It's not our biggest weakness though. I'd say it's not even in our top 5 biggest weaknesses.

Some on here have delusions that Pittonet is the answer because of some BS stats from the first 5 rounds last year.

This is so poor.

Can you point to anyone who believe Pittonet is "the answer"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back