Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

was one of our better players on the night - I think Owies and Fisher are answers to questions no other Club would ask.

I obviously watched a different game...Mots, Owies and Fisher were all poor (on my Sony Bravia) Can't speak for those with a Samsung, LG, Hisense etc.
Can we get match reports from BF posters who have a different TV to mine ;)

I obviously watched a different game...Mots, Owies and Fisher were all poor (on my Sony Bravia) Can't speak for those with a Samsung, LG, Hisense etc.
Why don't we just agree that everyone was poor - bar a couple of our draftees

I'll just leave this here ...

FqSisVcaMAEqstE

FqNmUY7agAAzwGO
With that first photo:
Good to see that we've improved our decision making when choosing the best option to pass the ball ball to
Or maybe that instantaneous moment in time was when we were making multiple interchanges and we had only 14 on the field

I have a Sony Bravia - it did not reflect well on Mots last night...........

With that first photo:
Good to see that we've improved our decision making when choosing the best option to pass the ball ball to
Or maybe that instantaneous moment in time was when we were making multiple interchanges and we had only 14 on the field
or the swans realised we only had one real forward dangerman and played him accordionely............

1677907047912.jpeg

The most important take out for both teams was no more injuries. Both teams have long enough injury lists already.

Game provided a handy hit out for senior players in need of a run.

It was also a good chance for fringe and young players to show their stuff and there was a bit to take out for both Clubs.

As ever the result doesn't matter for either team. If my mob win a praccy it is usually by accident, not design. Gulden' s determination to show he should get midfield minutes this season was probably the difference. That kid failed to read the script about praccy matches.

Good luck for the season.
It would have been for us long suffering Blues fans if Cerra or Fisher could have been the ones to not read the script.

That said you’ve summed it up pretty well. Good luck to the Swans too. I expect your team will be right in the mix again.

This is.a discussion we have had for the past 3 years, we should have been aggressive chasing Grundy, even if it costs us Acres and TDK.. It’s been obvious for some time our biggest weakness is no genuine AFL standard ruck.. Some on here have delusions that Pittonet is the answer because of some BS stats from the first 5 rounds last year.. As for playing 2 poor ruckmen in the 1 side, I say helllll no.. JSOS is an adequate back up when required. Pick either TDK or Pitto and role with them and the other plays in the 2s

Pretty fair point but just watch the replay of last year round 1 and re Pitto. He was amazing that game. That's peak Pitto. He's not exactly there right now but fingers crossed he can recapture that form.

Looks to me like he might need a bit of VFL time to start the season.

It's kind of impossible to interpret a practice match without knowing what we were trying to achieve. Were we trying to win the game? Try out some game style modifications? Try out some team structure modifications? Compare different players in certain positions? Get some game time into certain players without injury? etc.

As anyone who is familiar with evidence-based assessment knows, a failed experiment can still be a positive result: now you know that whatever you tried doesn't work. Ugly as the first quarter was, it's entirely possible that it still added to our knowledge in a useful way. Really don't think the result is remotely worth worrying about.
completely agree with the failed experiment premise, hatty, but I'm gonna run with the socks & sandals a little longer regardless.........

Hard to show the gameplan’s improved when a third of the best 22 isn’t playing, including multiple key pillars on every line that would no doubt be key in said gameplan
Yes let's wait until round 1 to see.

Main keys are.

1. We can apply good pressure around the ball.

2. We can move the ball quickly, directly and laterally.

3. We can maintain the ball in our forward end at times.

4. We can win games and score goals without dominating clearance.

5. We are not a team intercept marking defenders feast upon.

These are the 5 points I will be watching and judging us on and the coaching staff on. These are the 5 areas we let ourselves down on last year and why we missed finals. Practice match signs suggest these are areas of work.

Just on Youngy; Young needs to just improve his decision making when ball is in flight and it isn’t a pack of 7 around him to just spoil the pill. Someone mentioned his choice to spoil late on, and I agree, rewind back to the Dees game in the last minute last season as a prime example on why he needs to improve this part of his game.

Disposal improved as he moved through the year last season. Was his first season of continuity in one position and volume of games as well. I think he will be fine, especially with Marchy and Gov back in. Dutchy and Moo were impressive, Ollie already covers the ground so well. Acres was a steal for the price we got him for, we really have strengthened on the wing which is a big thumbs up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or the swans realised we only had one real forward dangerman and played him accordionely............

View attachment 1621311
And the Blues didn't realise there must have been (by the laws of mathematics), at least 3 other players to kick to...hang on...I've had an epiphany...if those 3 players were Mots Owies and Honey, the player kicking it figured they had a greater chance of Charlie marking it than either of the 3 others having any impact

Pittonet is obviously physically underdone…

Struggled to jump and cover the ground… Judge him in a few weeks when he gets up to fitness…

We do have an issue with Pittonet and TDK struggling to gel and compliment each other…

O’Keeffe and Lemmey after 1 VFL game seem to have more chemistry together, then Pittonet and TDK have ever had…

Pittonet is obviously physically underdone…

Struggled to jump and cover the ground… Judge him in a few weeks when he gets up to fitness…

We do have an issue with Pittonet and TDK struggling to gel and compliment each other…

O’Keeffe and Lemmey after 1 VFL game seem to have more chemistry together, then Pittonet and TDK have ever had…
I still think both play Round 1. With the sub rule we can afford to play Pitt for half a game get into Nank a bit and then sub him off for a runner. TDK would hopefully jump all over Nank in the second half

Just on Youngy; Young needs to just improve his decision making when ball is in flight and it isn’t a pack of 7 around him to just spoil the pill. Someone mentioned his choice to spoil late on, and I agree, rewind back to the Dees game in the last minute last season as a prime example on why he needs to improve this part of his game.
His teammates can help him with this, by directing him to punch or mark…

His teammates can help him with this, by directing him to punch or mark…

Communication is important, of course they can when it’s needed, but with games under his belt now, needs to also make these decisions without needing instruction. He’s a fantastic spoil of the ball, but I know he can be a good intercept marker too. As I said, he will be fine, esp with those 2 boys hopefully back.

The whole forward line was dysfunctional - for the reasons (in part at least ) I posted.

More variables to test, no doubt. Have you tried matching the socks & sandals with a safari suit?
of course I have, I'm not an animal - duck egg blue ftw............

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back