2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicholas Blakey (in the under-15s), Thomas Longmire (12) and Billy Longmire (10) flirted with North’s father-son academy in 2013, but haven’t been involved since.

Found that interesting anyways still a eternity to go and in the end it will be entirely the kids decision.

Blakey son has the option of 3 clubs so no doubt he will get a gig which is terrific.

Longmire is only in his 4th year and is a career coach i can very much see him still being there when his kids gets drafted.

Blakey son has the option of 3 clubs so no doubt he will get a gig which is terrific.
Most players have the option of 18 clubs and don't get a gig.

You forgot the hype over them coming out from the academy!! don't you know Heeney is already a future hall of famer ;)

Don't forget Mills is the 2nd coming of Gary Ablett!

Is interesting to view North board on the Blakely/Longmire issue. If the boys are living in Sydney, where on earth are they going to get the proper training and development from during junior years in the region?

Answer is....

Asides, can pick f/s if they so wish. No harm, no foul until draft time really.

Is interesting to view North board on the Blakely/Longmire issue. If the boys are living in Sydney, where on earth are they going to get the proper training and development from during junior years in the region?

Answer is....

Asides, can pick f/s if they so wish. No harm, no foul until draft time really.

Exactly.. most of them are just reading the article headline.. and frothing at the mouth.

It's just training ffs.

The Blakey boy is pretty good but haven't seen Longmire's son. Don't worry though, there are a few other lads around that age range who, admittedly at this very early stage, look very promising.

The Blakey boy is pretty good but haven't seen Longmire's son. Don't worry though, there are a few other lads around that age range who, admittedly at this very early stage, look very promising.

What was Blakey like as a player? I know what Longmire was like but I don't really recall Blakey?

On a side note Mills and Dunkley are both around 188cm and they still have a year or two of growing in them. I would kill for them to both grow another 5 or 6 cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smokescreen to lure Vic clubs into nominating duds from our academy in future years so we can hide the 'real' players elsewhere.
Our hands have been forced so we will resort to such deeds.

Smokescreen to lure Vic clubs into nominating duds from our academy in future years so we can hide the 'real' players elsewhere.
Our hands have been forced so we will resort to such deeds.
Ha, maybe so Ted ;). My son is in the Academy U14s and while he's a reasonable player he's certainly not at the standard to get anywhere near pushing for serious progress in later years (I shall remain anonymous so he doesn't realise I'm talking about him and gets upset :)). However, he has played with and against most of the boys in his age group and up to U16's so I've had a chance to watch most of the boys in that age range and there are definitely a handful who would be a serious chance at this stage of progressing to at least being considered a draft prospect.

Mind you, there are of course an awful lot of boys who, like my son, will never get to that top standard, but they will still get the chance of being exposed to this level of coaching until at least age 16. I wonder what all those idiots on the main board think about that level of support being provided by the Swans year in, year out, even though they'd certainly know that their strike rate will likely be comparatively so low.

Ha, maybe so Ted ;). My son is in the Academy U14s and while he's a reasonable player he's certainly not at the standard to get anywhere near pushing for serious progress in later years (I shall remain anonymous so he doesn't realise I'm talking about him and gets upset :)). However, he has played with and against most of the boys in his age group and up to U16's so I've had a chance to watch most of the boys in that age range and there are definitely a handful who would be a serious chance at this stage of progressing to at least being considered a draft prospect.

Mind you, there are of course an awful lot of boys who, like my son, will never get to that top standard, but they will still get the chance of being exposed to this level of coaching until at least age 16. I wonder what all those idiots on the main board think about that level of support being provided by the Swans year in, year out, even though they'd certainly know that their strike rate will likely be comparatively so low.

Out of interest for the boys who probably know that they are never going to be good enough to make an AFL list do they still have a lot of fun in the academy?

I remember playing against a boy in the under 16's who played for u16's NSW in cricket and even though I definitely did not enjoy facing him when he was bowling at me (he was bloody fast, way faster than anyone else) I enjoyed the idea that if he one day ended up playing for Australia I could say that I faced him once. For me that was exciting.

Out of interest for the boys who probably know that they are never going to be good enough to make an AFL list do they still have a lot of fun in the academy?

I remember playing against a boy in the under 16's who played for u16's NSW in cricket and even though I definitely did not enjoy facing him when he was bowling at me (he was bloody fast, way faster than anyone else) I enjoyed the idea that if he one day ended up playing for Australia I could say that I faced him once. For me that was exciting.
Yep, the feedback that I've got from my son and his mates is that they love it. All joking aside, my son knows he's not at that top level but also knows that the coaching will make him a better player than otherwise would be the case (at whatever level and for however long he happens to play).

You make a good point re your cricket. One or two of boys in my son's age group are very good and my son loves playing with and against them. He's always talking about them and if occasionally he might, say, beat one to the ball he'll go on about it for ages.

Yep, the feedback that I've got from my son and his mates is that they love it. All joking aside, my son knows he's not at that top level but also knows that the coaching will make him a better player than otherwise would be the case (at whatever level and for however long he happens to play).

You make a good point re your cricket. One or two of boys in my son's age group are very good and my son loves playing with and against them. He's always talking about them and if occasionally he might, say, beat one to the ball he'll go on about it for ages.
Actually, just to clarify, there are obviously quite a few boys who are "very good". What I meant was that for me there are only one or two that are exceptional, special, a cut above - describe it how you like - but boys who have that extra something that makes them stand out and mean that they may just make it to that ultimate goal of getting drafted.

Actually, just to clarify, there are obviously quite a few boys who are "very good". What I meant was that for me there are only one or two that are exceptional, special, a cut above - describe it how you like - but boys who have that extra something that makes them stand out and mean that they may just make it to that ultimate goal of getting drafted.

Curious as to what age group they are in.

Some kids are better earlier on but tend to get caught up later on

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back