2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Fox are exactly an unbiased commentator on the subject of academies etc.
When Eddie was at the helm it was rampant.

And yet all the Herald Sun reporters on Midweek Tackle agreed they were required and in fact needed. The bidding system needed to be fixed but they were not against the academies which is a shift.

When Eddie was at the helm it was rampant.

And yet all the Herald Sun reporters on Midweek Tackle agreed they were required and in fact needed. The bidding system needed to be fixed but they were not against the academies which is a shift.
There's a lot of "yes, but...." "Fair price" "haven't got" and so on.
Interesting that they note that the amount of talent coming out of WA has fallen off significantly but no-one is talking about why.
Are the WA and SA talent pathways suffering from the same ailment that the Rugby pathways do? Private Schoolitis? The competition needs those kids just as much as any others.
Maybe the whole question of talent growth needs a good hard look far beyond fiddling with the draft.

Maybe the whole question of talent growth needs a good hard look far beyond fiddling with the draft.

Nobody actually cares about grass-roots football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scouting notes from the U16’s opener last weekend
That 2026 draft looks potentially outstanding for us. Maybe better than Gold Coast last year.

Even if McCartney and McGroder don't nominate, there are still at least two excellent midfield prospects with Blackwell-Smith and Price.

And if they do nominate ... good grief ...

Last edited:
That 2026 draft looks potentially outstanding for us. Better than the Gold Coast last year.

Even if McCartney and McGroder don't nominate, there are still potentially two outstanding midfield prospects with Blackwell-Smith and Price.

And if they do nominate ... good grief ...
A lot depends on how much (if at all) McGroder and McCartney grow. Both just on/over 190cm ATM. If they put on another 5+ they look to be great prospects. McGroder playing ruck now but also looks like a real KPF prospect. 🤞🤞🤞

Maybe. More money in footy than long jump though, I'd think, which might help.

That said, no idea if he'll be good enough for footy, he showed some great flashes and is clearly a uniquely athletic prospect but there's a lot more to the game than physical attributes.
True, but you'd be nuts to turn down a full scholarship to a US college

A lot depends on how much (if at all) McGroder and McCartney grow. Both just on/over 190cm ATM. If they put on another 5+ they look to be great prospects. McGroder playing ruck now but also looks like a real KPF prospect. 🤞🤞🤞
Not too sure how accurate the listed heights are. Article in the local Sydney press from May this year listed his height at 194cm.

Balgowlah Suns!!! Fantastic! I use to live across the road from that oval. I was filthy when they took the posts out... back in the... sheesh, late 80's

Great to see it getting usage
Don't know what Balgowlah oval looked like in the 80s but its currently got an astro cricket pitch on it but its too small of a ground for any boys sport over the age of about 14. Remember in my last year of junior cricket getting one over the trees and the fairway closest to the ground (Hole 9 i believe).

In writing this i measured up the ground on Google and it is roughly 128m x 88m. From my memory of where the posts are it would put it at roughly 120m x 85m

Don't know what Balgowlah oval looked like in the 80s but its currently got an astro cricket pitch on it but its too small of a ground for any boys sport over the age of about 14. Remember in my last year of junior cricket getting one over the trees and the fairway closest to the ground (Hole 9 i believe).

In writing this i measured up the ground on Google and it is roughly 128m x 88m. From my memory of where the posts are it would put it at roughly 120m x 85m

It was astro turf then as well, massive mound of soil over it in winter. It was/is i guess a quaint ground with a decent hill

It is the 9th hole. I played Aussie Rules for a couple if years until I could fake my age and join the golf club. Good memories living on that street. Pissed my parents didn't buy the house we rented when it went to auction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back