2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

It does seem weird that both McCartney and Kingsley chose to live in the Swans academy catchment area rather than the Giants academy area. Maybe weird isn't quite the right word, given the desirability difference between suburbs in the east and west of Sydney, but there are some decent places to live towards the west. You'd think the Giants would prefer, for the sake of appearances, for their senior staff to live in "their" part of Sydney.

It's possible that the Kingsleys haven't lived in the academy catchment area long enough for young Kingsley to qualify to be drafted as an academy player (if he is good enough and wants to be drafted to the Swans). I'm not sure exactly what the age cut-off is, but there certainly is one. Lachie Weller spent his last couple of seasons with the Suns' academy after the family moved when Maverick was drafted to the Suns. But he hadn't been there long enough to be an academy pick.

Suits us but it's a bad look for GWS.

a bit of hyperbola but It's essentially an admission that they work, play and represent a shithole so they choose to be fly in fly out workers.

Curious to know how far outside of the GWS catchment they are

Current CBA.

b77be89b49bc5c0d4e82e31f3e50d2cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

How come players can spend a year at a boarding school in Melb and still be a part of the academy?

This Sam Marshall scenario and Brisbane troubles me too. Lions academy player but sitting on a footballing scholarship at a Melbourne private school. Why still eligible for the Lions? They're not developing him any more

This Sam Marshall scenario and Brisbane troubles me too. Lions academy player but sitting on a footballing scholarship at a Melbourne private school. Why still eligible for the Lions? They're not developing him any more
They get a scholarship and the parents pay nothing

They get a scholarship and the parents pay nothing

I understand that bit. But why do the Lions keep access when his primary development is outsourced.

Same for me on NGA's, the clubs aren't doing the heavy lifting of development, so why the benefit?

If the academies are a development equalisation tool then NGA's and that Lions situation should be killed off.

New rules mean more angles to work and more dilution of the draft. If the AFL was serious it would cut these things (compo too) and not ingrain them further

I understand that bit. But why do the Lions keep access when his primary development is outsourced.

Same for me on NGA's, the clubs aren't doing the heavy lifting of development, so why the benefit?

If the academies are a development equalisation tool then NGA's and that Lions situation should be killed off.

New rules mean more angles to work and more dilution of the draft. If the AFL was serious it would cut these things (compo too) and not ingrain them further

Don’t mind the scholarships as a balance to the contracts tossed out by Leeeeeg clubs. The kid is still a member of the Academy and would be part of their Program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the Northern Academies should be allowed to offer contracts at the same age as league. I think it is 17 in the NRL.

The junior Victorians will never be poached by league or union.

Maybe an AFL contract instead of a club contract, otherwise they would be bypassing the draft.

Maybe the Northern Academies should be allowed to offer contracts at the same age as league. I think it is 17 in the NRL.

The junior Victorians will never be poached by league or union.

I recall Kinnear floated something like that on Gettable last year

Sometimes I think it is hard to predict how an academy player will develop 1 year out from the draft.

We had Cochran, Harrison and Woods play the U17s futures game at the end of last year. I don't remember any of them standing out as dominant players.

Fascinating read on the Norf board where they are discussing Jason McCartney's son. They are not happy that he is in the Swans Academy, however they think it may be different to the Blakey scenario because apparently the kid supports Norf, while Blakey was always a Swans fan.

One of the posters complained that it is an unfair advantage for us because these kids may not want to leave Sydney but prefer to remain closer to home. They are just so close to getting it...

Fascinating read on the Norf board where they are discussing Jason McCartney's son. They are not happy that he is in the Swans Academy, however they think it may be different to the Blakey scenario because apparently the kid supports Norf, while Blakey was always a Swans fan.

One of the posters complained that it is an unfair advantage for us because these kids may not want to leave Sydney but prefer to remain closer to home. They are just so close to getting it...

Kid may also want to avoid a place where talent goes to die. Norf is also the Club most likely to be booted.

Just wait until they catch on to how good he is.

Is he really that good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean they are 15, so who knows. But he looked very impressive in the game against GC. Aside from having all the traits you would want from a young KF, he played with real physical presence.

I think that once the official games start, people like Twomey will properly pick up on him and then the story of the North/Sydney/GWS will start to be a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back