2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

RMC notes from last Saturday’s Futures game

Lachlan Carmichael (Swans Academy/NSW-ACT)
Defender | 183cm | 27/08/2007

Stats:
18 disposals, 8 marks, 5 rebound 50s

Carmichael has played to such a high level in defence this year that it was no surprise to see him show his quality once again on Saturday. He got involved early with a brave intercept mark, but went on to impress most when attacking. Carmichael’s timing and smarts allowed him to peel off and get into space to be a quick outlet on turnover, resulting in 15 uncontested possessions. His work rate and positioning off the contest were essential to such numbers as he helped set up the play in transition.

Noah Chamberlain (Swans Academy/NSW-ACT)
Forward | 192cm | 21/03/2007

Stats:
12 disposals, 7 marks, 4 inside 50s

Chamberlain was a key connection piece for Team Heppell up forward. The versatile Swans Academy talent initially found it difficult to build separation on the lead but got going with eight touches and four marks in the third quarter, thriving off his side’s quick ball movement from end-to-end. He failed to convert his influence to scoreboard impact, but showed strong potential in said purple patch.

You're a breath of fresh air and thanks for everything you do

From what I saw of Cochran in the allies, he did not seem that composed with his disposal or notable as a lock down defender. But looked very athletic when he had opportunities to rebound.

So I am curious where we would initially play him. We usually take a few years to debut young defenders. So I wonder if they would try him as an athletic 3rd tall forward if he has got athleticism and a tank.

From what I saw of Cochran in the allies, he did not seem that composed with his disposal or notable as a lock down defender. But looked very athletic when he had opportunities to rebound.

So I am curious where we would initially play him. We usually take a few years to debut young defenders. So I wonder if they would try him as an athletic 3rd tall forward if he has got athleticism and a tank.
He's played everywhere over the last 2 years - played a bit fwd, then mid and then as a defender. He won't be a lockdown, but maybe that athletic mobile defender? Who knows what plans they have for him - maybe a bit like Weddle?

It really is the most useless test though. I mean as long as a player is not in the bottom 25% I doubt many recruiters are too concerned with how well a player has done in their time trial.
While I wouldn’t describe it as useless, it’s certainly not as important as some make it out to be.

Yes, the likes of Gulden were very good 2 km runners who could duplicate that in game day situations. However, I’ve seen plenty of stats of players, a lot of which were Academy boys, who posted strong 2km (3km back in the day) times who did not post strong running stats in game situations (Academy boys wore GPS units when I used to watch them a lot, I assume they still do) and vice versa.

Wing

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I wouldn’t describe it as useless, it’s certainly not as important as some make it out to be.

Yes, the likes of Gulden were very good 2 km runners who could duplicate that in game day situations. However, I’ve seen plenty of stats of players, a lot of which were Academy boys, who posted strong 2km (3km back in the day) times who did not post strong running stats in game situations (Academy boys wore GPS units when I used to watch them a lot, I assume they still do) and vice versa.
I think it reflects in how well a player can move between contests. It doesn't describe burst speed (20m sprint) or repeat effort (beep test). Not sure how you can measure power to break away from a tackle. Standing or running leap?None of the metrics on their own signify much but taken together with footy nous and interviews. All adds up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back