Preview Official Thread - Round 1 - Melbourne v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animcountdown.gif

Round 1.

Oh yes.

Zip-a-dee-freakin'-doo-dah, is it finally here?

Through the uncertainty of trade week, the what ifs of the draft and then off into the summer abyss... eeking out all too fleeting pleasure from training photos, cricket, NFL, A-League, tennis and last but not least, the NAB cup... At last, the months and months of ho-hum have come and gone. At long last, we're finally at the 2012 starting gates and the preseason is finally over.

And it's well worth celebrating.

Now, as Australian sports fans, we all know that before any anticipated sporting event gets underway, viewers tuning in across the country must first endure hours and hours of pre-match hype, hyperbole and hoopla in the form of pre-match video after pre-match video. You know the ones - slo-mo footage, super slo-mo footage, super super slo-mo footage and pretty much paused footage - all synced to the latest overplayed pop track.

Do you see where this is going?

Those of you who aren't fans of my crappy video tomfoolery and general nonsense, best avert your eyes. Those that put up with it for the odd chuckle - make sure the volume is up and have some fun.

Footy’s back.

[youtube]q2gIFciiMoE[/youtube]

Yeah, it was a long offseason.

Anyway, with that 12 minutes of your life utterly, utterly wasted - on with the preview. Our Brisbane Lions taking on Melbourne at the G.

6RRkXY2t3aRjth5pDaWmpBGacYpdwnVEMUkQ8jsc3sK-3TZ3mgD0ElFZ-tqy-csRcbI0WfdX-Cra83OU23WL_jaIEFv18H_ZKP5RW0ja0MUg6pujfMQ

Are the pieces finally falling into place?

With new co-captains, new leadership group, a new forward structure and a new coach, “new” seems to be the new black at the Melbourne footy club.

And why not? Melbourne have not made the finals since 2006 while the Lions' last foray into September was 2009. Going into 2012, the fire would be well and truly burning at both camps to get back into the finals mix, but you would have to think the fire on Melbourne's side of the fence is close to reaching Human Torch proportions.

On field, if there is such a thing as preseason form, it's hard to go past Melbourne's win over Collingwood for a game that had some of the red and blue faithful salivating of what their current group might achieve this year. As scrappy as it was at times (a lot created by Melbourne's pressure but some by the preseason), it's hard to ignore why some optimism in Demon heartland was well and truly breeding post-game.

The win came without Trengove, Grimes, Clark, Jurrah - familiar names like Garland and Petterd were hard at it - while new recruits like Magner and former Crow, Sellar, looked right at home. No offence intended, but even Bate looked good. A win born from high pressure on and around the ball carrier, creating turnovers and hardness at the contest, and in what is becoming pretty standard, a few highlight reel grabs from the Demon’s 2011 first-year player of the year, Jeremy Howe (who played < 2 quarters) thrown in for extra measure.

But what then? The next week the Dees were well beaten by the Hawks. The midfield, even with Trengove, were lackluster, the clearances being pretty even, but inside forward 50 entries being one way traffic - the high pressure defence brought to bear on the Pies the week before was MIA, the Hawks’ patience and composure to chip it around and wait for an attacking option, exposing some holes behind and in amongst the Demons’ zone.

And what then? Another belting by Port. No telecast doesn’t help discern what went wrong, but from all reports, it certainly wasn’t Jamar’s ruckwork, a 45 hitout domination in a team that lost the clearances. Clark stood up too, booting 3 goals, 1 behind, one into the man on the mark, and one out on the full. Mmmm. The last ones in that list sound familiar. .

Injury clouds are also rolling around, Grimes having not played a preseason game, Sylvia going down for multiple weeks with a back injury, Jurrah’s well documented wrist. Injuries aside, there’s also the Watts dilemma and the approach Neeld will take to develop him.

Well, what about Brisbane?

It’s a bit similar to be honest. Exciting one week, underwhelming the next. To be fair though, as with every preseason, we've been traveling near and far and all the while carrying one big umbrella.

In terms of negativity, similar to the first match of the 2011 preseason, we experimented by playing close to the youngest team we could field against Adelaide and copped a poor (but not worse) result. There is some obvious solace to be had from that game though, in that the team that thrashed us, ended up winning the NAB cup.

In terms of positivity - the win against Carlton at Maroochydore may well have been against limited opposition, but to hold a Blues squad, which included Chris Judd, to doughnuts after half-time was a special sight for eyes still blood shot from two bottom four seasons in a row. Regular service resumed the following week though, Essendon’s midfield dominating a Rockliff-less Lions unit.

If nothing else, the Lions preseason has resulted in a few sparkles from a few rough diamonds like Crisp and Golby, as well as some encouraging signs from names like Lester, Polec, Beams, O’Brien, Longer and Harwood, showing that the squeeze to get into our best 22 is well and truly on.

Regardless of form however, looking at:-

> our recent record against Melbourne (the Lions have not beaten Melbourne since Round 13 2009);

> our recent record away in Victoria (the Lions have not won in Melbourne since Round 21 2010 and have not won at the G since Round 7 2009);

and it seems the pleasure of seeing our boys finally run out for the first game of the year could turn bittersweet in the blink of an eye.
Brisbane’s injury front is a bit all over the place too. We had 5 seniors head off to Arizona in the preseason, of which Brown, Merrett and Rockliff have all had injury issues since. Add to that list McGrath (foot - should play), Raines (knee - won’t play), Drummond (hip - unlikely to play), Staker (ACL - season) and Zorko (who knows).

fvAdSvTwchYMlaHmum6oY6qoDW5Jez7GJrVF6XeyhX9cW0yFTfZQ0SXBfNk-ZlX1troJuVRRMgYIx-7HchjygqDV7JjbEhJ_nA5nbuuCCxPCXobL248

cnSVG2GUirCJykk0LzXVUg7jE5I0HBI9mRhjn7WYZSmp3pc3BPUSO0LBc26YFn9uzFe_doBb6ITMpB2W6kZLBJxSombtQfZv2lqdmHwa6anbBAZhZCk

Why will the pieces fit?

The new season brings with it some pretty significant coaching movements, and while Voss remains the one constant, Neeld, Craig and Harvey are all talking points.

That list ignores Jade Rawlings having traded in his Lions insignia for a Melbourne crest too.

Voss has a new 2 year contract to work with and from all murmurings, the trust and commitment of the playing group. Indeed, one of the most pleasing things to witness over the last 12 months for this Lions supporter at least, has been the reunification, bond and commitment that has seemingly forged between the likes of young stars like Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Leuenberger - all having re-signed and being very much the wiser for their living through some of the darkest days in post-merger history.

It's no scoop that Voss certainly got his (young) men to be competitive in patches last year, even while getting smashed in particular facets (see Q-Clash 1 clearances stat vs scoreline). His goal this season will no doubt be to now add a few more strings to that rather bare bow. If he can’t do that, can Harvey?

From all reports Harvey has brought an old school, drill-sergeant like attitude to training while being in charge of forward structures. Will he know how to take apart Melbourne? Stats alone don’t say that he does - under Harvey, Freo were batting at a 50% win rate against the Dees. What he does know though is how he coached and managed to get his then team to topple us twice last year, and for that reason alone, the Lions game plan and ultimate performance this year will be nothing short of intriguing.

Former Magpies midfield coach Neeld embarks upon his first AFL game as head coach quite different to coach Voss. Assistant experience (premiership winning assistant experience) and a senior figure like Craig, hovering in the back ground. Although as “director of sports performance”, I wouldn’t presume to know exactly what Craig adds or does. Regardless, the Lions having also gone after Craig in the off-season will be an interesting feature of both club’s 2012 season.

objmwe9g3ON993B9VnI0CjxHqdME0ZWgvcKhS54E5E8ixVO6VKPWUSHpTTAf5n_4jEO1A0hI3XpdkUqRt17RnETF8YvYgG6DZLzDxTHmDjY7FEwSLDE

Which pieces?

With his wrist in tip top shape after signing a new contract himself during the off-season, Black may not be in your dream team, but any bread and butter our outsiders get off the deck is most likely to be served up by Simon.

“No Brown, No Brisbane” tweated Hammo minutes after poor JB was carted off to hospital a few weeks ago. He, he, careful what you wish for Andrew. Some of the ball movement in Maroochydore (and the 100+ scoreline) tends to suggest attacking options are still there even without our fearless leader. Rockliff commands a lead, Rich’s left is cannon-like, and the last time I saw it, Polec’s left was pretty much sex on leather. I wouldn’t be writing us off just yet.

A Jamar vs Leuenberger battle might also just turn into a duel with Hudson or Longer, depending on who is picked and who rests forward. Based on the number of preseason selections, Longer looks more likely to get the nod, but who knows - between the seniors and ressies there’s been 2 games at Metricon and Hudson, a gold coast local, has played in both of them. Might just be convenience and the knowledge that Hudson will be good to go. Anyways, now that the ruckmen can actually touch each other again (thank the lord), the battle between the big men is going to be mouth watering.

So what’s the likely line up? A whole thread dedicated to this very topic makes my little summary a tad redundant.

FWIW, I'd like to see:-

B: Stiller Merrett Patful
HB: Hanley Maguire Lester
C: Rockliff Black Adcock
HF: Polkinghorne Retzlaff Beams
FF: Karnezis Longer McGrath
R: Leuenberger, Redden, Rich
I: Harwood, Polec, Golby
Sub: O'Brien

Desperately unlucky: Hudson, Green & Bewick.

I doubt it’ll happen, but Merrett going back is a priority for mine. I just feel more comfortable with a propped up back line. If the game plan is anything like previous years (rebounding from the half-back line), one would think the back line takes priority. Playing it too safe, maybe.

9I-em8nKSSFaZwTBKUg3xy2xtRPEpJwliOdZ2Xt4zCVnfmS_NT7TS4pwMvb2-X_0dJe0eQXWYwth0H8AF5_hSzUWHgdUBSe3pS_V_5QD_WdElwM2Axg

Piece of cake?

In all honesty, given our “away” record and recent history against the Demons, the bookies’ $2.70 for the Lions ($1.45 for Melbourne) feels about correct weight. Having said that, what have we really seen this year but preseason yips and wet weather football?

While my head says the Dees will win, if the boys can lower their eyes, take some decent options, remain composed with the ball in hand and make their tackles stick, we’re a chance.

Lions by 7.

---

PS. The above was prepared prior to Jim Stynes' passing. TBH, I can't find the words to express anything more than my deepest sympathies for the loss of a legend.

PPS. Yes, this is the official thread - POBT granted a one off proxy, which has now expired. :eek:

First off, I would like to say I'm throwing a tenner on us to kick seven kinds of crap out of Melbourne. I've completely forgotten the NAB Cup and I think we have a good mix of young and old ready to take us to a moderately good season. Think back to 2008, that's the sort of season I think we're in for.

Secondly, and most importantly, you've spelt Patfull wrong!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Ahhhh GG, you've done it again! :thumbsu: [and I still have to wait till I get back home before I can view the youtube]

Geez I hope the scoreboard does the talking in this one and Rocky to kick 5!

GG, as usual, I doff my cap in your direction good sir.

020927_1697_0024_l__s.jpg

Brilliant video and a thorough preview to go alongside. The rest of us preview writers have a tough task ahead of us following that up!

As I am going to the game I hope to hear the mighty roar at the final siren!

Awesome vid, specially your cameo disco dancing.
Great preview, here's hoping the boys can find some composure and gel just a bit.
Part of me has a nagging perceived reality of disarray whilst another part of me has that xmas eve excited anticipation of what might come.
Whether it's another year of frustration or one of pleasant surprise, bring it on, another Lions adventure.
Go Lions.
And to quote that insurance ad (with the rugby league dudes) "hate those Melbourne players" .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superb effort GG.

Looking forward to this game - first game of the season, the emotion of the passing of Jimmy. I suggest it is going to be fairly highly charged. We are going to have to take the crowd out early with a good start (not something that we have been great at in the past). Hard tackling and dare I say it congested footy in the first quarter to slow the game down may just throw the crowd and Melbourne players then with 10 mintues to go (in the first quarter) really open it up and play on at all costs.

I reckon Mitch's head must be ready to explode. Just hope his granny is well enough to see him play.

Anyway it is a good test for our boys. A game that is winnable but certainly no walk in the park.

Whatever the mods here are paying you GG, it's simply not enough.

Actually, I think I still owe Bob a few bucks... :eek:

Cheers guys, glad you had fun. :thumbsu:

Part of me has a nagging perceived reality of disarray whilst another part of me has that xmas eve excited anticipation of what might come.
Whether it's another year of frustration or one of pleasant surprise, bring it on, another Lions adventure.
Go Lions .

Couldn't have said it any better.

Great job GG, and thank you for reigniting my rage towards Mitch Clark! I am looking forward to the jeers!

Likewise. Outstanding.:thumbsu:

The butterflies are awakening.

Dear Lord, just let 1 of our leaders put him on his a***. I promise I will be a good boy 4 the rest of thje year if you do.:D

Top effort as always GG. :thumbsu:

Awesome vid, specially your cameo disco dancing.

I can assure you that that was not GG's silhouette in the clip. :D

Part trepidation, part anticipation. There's no feeling quite like it. Footy's back! :thumbsu:

Holly crap GG, you set a high benchmark for the rest of us following you. But gees GG couldn't you do something about that bloody Puddle Pop Lion?

Ahh, the smell of liniment, sweat and the excitement of a season promising so much.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of approval for Ginger Greatness. A quality preview indeed.

Whoever lines up, let's hope we come out all guns blazing. Make sure the Demons know they were in a footy game with the mighty Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back